If there are two lanes - use them! - andy76
I am sure this has been discussed before but is it just me that finds it immensely frustrating when there are two lanes going to one and the right lane is empty whilst there is a long tailback in the left lane?
Yet, when you try and use the right lane all you get is someone in the left lane pulling over to block the road?

Surely it would be much better if everyone used both lanes and then filtered into each other gradually?

Rant over :)

Andrew
If there are two lanes - use them! - blue_haddock
Brooks Gambit?
If there are two lanes - use them! - machika
One lane or two lanes into one, the traffic won't flow any faster into the one lane that is left, at whatever point the outside lane filters in.
If there are two lanes - use them! - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have seen some signs, used in these situations, with a diagram and saying "Merge in Turn". Seems to work if people can read or be bothered to comply; that'll be a 'No' then!
If there are two lanes - use them! - L'escargot
The bit of road like this I use is single carriageway and immediately after traffic light at a crossroads. Before the lights it's dual carriageway. At the lights I usually go in the left hand lane because this is the one that continues after the lights and hence is the easiest. The trouble is that people who use the right hand lane often haven't got the acceleration to find a gap in the left hand lane after the lights before their (right hand) lane peters out. Result ~ a lot of cutting-up and aggressive attempts by the right hand lane drivers to muscle their way into the left hand lane. The right hand lane drivers seem to think they've got a right to move into the left hand lane regardless of what traffic there is already in that lane. I've often had to brake sharply to prevent the car on my right from hitting my car. I'm not at all in favour of this type of road layout.
--
L\'escargot.
If there are two lanes - use them! - moonshine {P}

I drive down a road every day where two lanes merge into one. If anything using both lanes actually makes the traffic SLOWER. Most people on this road know that the road ahead merges and they filter into the left lane as early as possible, this means that at the bottle neck the traffic can flow with out holdups due to people trying to merge.

What really annoys me (and others) is when someone jumps the queue by pulling out and racing up as far as possible and forcing their way back into the traffic. Over the years I have seen some amazingly dangerous driving on this road.

One driver once decided to make a third lane by (he had a 4x4 so he can do what he wants) driving onto the grass verge and overtaking both lanes of traffic. Maybe if we all did this the traffic would flow three times as fast?

Another driver decided to continue overtaking cars to the point where he was on the wrong side of the road with the oncoming traffic having to pull onto the pavement - you had to see it to believe it!

And yes I do sometimes pull out into the other lane and make a rolling road block if I see someone taking the michael. Whats intresting on this road is most days all the cars now drive down the middle of the two lanes to stop inconsiderate drivers.
Whats intresting on this road is most days all
the cars now drive down the middle of the two lanes
to stop inconsiderate drivers.

Unfortunately on the road I use you can't do this. It's a traffic lights Grand Prix start and the drivers in the right hand lane have 100 yards at most to muscle their way into the left hand lane before they are confronted by oncoming traffic. Obviously, when faced with the choice of a head on collision or side-swiping the car on their left they go for the latter. They're all local people so they ought to have learned by now. However, it seems that the people who value their cars go in the left hand lane before the lights, and the people who don't give a monkey's go in the right hand lane, so the situation will never change. The traffic should be filtered down to one lane before the lights, so that in the event of traffic in the right hand lane being forced to come to a standstill they're not in the position of having to try to avoid a head-on crash situation.
--
L\'escargot.
If there are two lanes - use them! - machika
The right hand lane drivers seem to think they've got a
right to move into the left hand lane regardless of what
traffic there is already in that lane. I've often had to
brake sharply to prevent the car on my right from hitting
my car. I'm not at all in favour of this type
of road layout.
--
L\'escargot.

>>

It's a stupid layout designes without a thought about how it might work practically.

There is a layout on the inner ring road in Derby, where two lanes of traffic meet at a point where a lot of the traffic in the outer lane is trying to pull over to the left, and a lot of the traffic in the inner lane is trying to pull over to the right. Result at rush hour is gridlock. Crazy design.
If there are two lanes - use them! - aaflyer
Couldn't agree more. I drive a 1.2 Fiat Punto on the morning commute. Not the fastest car, I know!! On one part of the journey there is about 500 yds of two-lane road after a roundabout, with a reasonable incline all the way to where it merges to one lane. If you've got a car with the appropriate grunt to go around me on the hill, fair enough: blatter on. Even so, a Punto doing 45-50mph 450 yds into that 500yd section is still a car doing 45-50 mph. So why do drivers of similar sized cars think they have the right to 'creep' up the outside, engine screaming, frame rattling, only to force me to break hard about 20 yds from the end? Are you such a person?

Rant over.

AA
If there are two lanes - use them! - Altea Ego
One lane or two lanes into one, the traffic won't flow
any faster into the one lane that is left, at whatever
point the outside lane filters in.

So people block the other lane to stop it being used - at the expense of the queue getting behind longer and blocking that roundabout behind or whatever,.

You people who make rolling road blocks are a sanctamonious bunch who have inflated opinions of their own self worth and are the cause of much road rage. Get a job suited to your talents - Traffic warden perhaps? Traffic light controller?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The only solution seems to be to control both lanes separately with lights so that the two lanes move alternately and each lane then gets a fair crack of the whip.
--
L\'escargot.
The crux of the matter seems to be that, when it is left entirely to human choice, two into one doesn't go.
--
L\'escargot.
If there are two lanes - use them! - Statistical outlier
Not at all, in the real world merging early means that everyone gets through the bottle neck more quickly and less stressfully. Those pushing down the outside, in the absence of a culture of merging in or 'zipping' as I believe it's known elsewhere, are doing nothing but improving their situation at the expense of everyone else.

It's selfish and antisocial behaviour pushing in, at least in some situations. Rolling roadblocks are both hilarious, watching the reaction of people such as TVM is enormously satisfying (and strangely it tends to be white vans and BMWs that are affected), and highly effective as they remove the bottleneck as people can pass smoothly through the transition to one lane.
To clarify, teh above was a response to TVMs rather irate posting.
To clarify, teh above was a response to TVMs rather irate
posting.

I guessed as much, and by and large I support your point of view.
--
L\'escargot.
If there are two lanes - use them! - stevied
I don't normally disagree with TVM, he seems to be a man of commonsense... but in this instance, I am with Gordon. "Inflated self-worth"? Er, no.... we're not the ones who think we're too important to have to wait in line with everyone else.

To clarify, "zipping" down the outside means that you're trying to get ahead of the people queueing in the left hand lane. Thus, you obvioulsy think you're "better" than them. Why? As discussed above, the early merge scenario leads to smoother traffic flow. That's why there's signs up telling you to merge.

Discuss. : )

I think you've missed the point - the idea is for EVERYONE to get through quickly. If people could just use a bit of common sense and merge properly without racing up the right hand lane then the whole line of traffic moves faster and more smoothly, this in turn means that there is no traffic backing up onto the roundabout.

Too many selfish people these days - it's all me, me, me...

The rolling road block only ever starts halfway down the road, it's easy to spot those who are guininely merging in and those who are jumping the queue.
I agree absolutely, and would love to have missed the point. Using both lanes *should* be better, but because of the abysmal standard of driving generally, and the selfish atitude of some, it doesn't. It just makes things worse for most for the benefit of those selfish and agressive enough to jump.

TVMs approach should work much better, but in the real world doesn't.
If there are two lanes - use them! - Chad.R
Surely it would be much better if everyone used both lanes
and then filtered into each other gradually?

Agree 100%. Not using both lanes in these cases can sometimes cause unnecessary tailbacks, which in some situations i.e. m'way slip roads, can become extremely dangerous.

They should have more "USE BOTH LANES" signs......though when most people ignore the "MERGE IN TURN" signs theres probably little point!

Or even obviously. Obvioulsy my typing is @tr0c1ous today.
If there are two lanes - use them! - SteVee
I'm missing something here - perhaps a few hormones ?
I'll merge at some reasonable opportunity - it will very probably be before the bottleneck. Someone will almost certainly pass me and merge later - and I will probably let someone in who merges late.
And so what ? I might get to my destination very slightly later, but it just doesn't matter.
I think the vast majority of drivers treat the bottleneck in a similarly relaxed manner. There will always be drivers who want to make the greatest possible progress through the bottleneck, it's not my role to stop or slow them.

Personally, I like to see both lanes fully used and then merged courteously one for one - and I think this does happen.

Then again, I'm often on two wheels and expect to go to the head of the queue :-)
If there are two lanes - use them! - boxsterboy
Personally, I like to see both lanes fully used and then
merged courteously one for one - and I think this does
happen.

Which is precisely how it should be.
If there are two lanes - use them! - Hamsafar
I agree with TVM, I don't know how anybody can't, unless they have misunderstood what he said or have no common sense.

If you merger early when the traffic is at a standstill, you help create a log jam, because you wast that roadspace that is the right hand lane.
This causes the queue to extend backwards around roundabouts, across junctions and delays other people who aren't even going the same way.

What's more, merging early invites turds to blast down the right hand lane and pretend to be surprised when they come across some cones, and they then signal and swerve in front of someone to the left.
Let me clarify

1/ people should zip or merge in turn near the point of constriction, using as much road space of all legitimate available lanes as possible. Where that zip point is is entriely dependednt on circumstances and speed but its not hundreds of yards away from the restriction. It works folks.

2/ My rant is about people who become unoficial "space meisters" who think "I shall stop people using legitimate road spce on the offchance they might get in front of me" You - You people are the target of my rant. And yes you should be in a jobsworth role as befites your "I am in charge" mentality.

3/ Roadsigns. We all know where these bottlenecks are. A MERGE IN TURN sign would be nice please. At least it gives people a merge target point.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TVM, I agree completely. Zipping is a much better solution, and I *always* let in people who are *reasonably* merging. My point is that the idiots who merge aggressively at the last second completely stop this working. I've never seen a rolling road block that wasn't prompted by the latter situation.

I can't be bothered to respond to point 2.

Point 3, couldn't agree more.
If there are two lanes - use them! - PhilW
As I see it, and I stand correction, either system (queueing in one lane or zipping at the point of constriction ) works equally well as long as EVERYONE uses the same system. Problem occurs where there is a long single lane queue AND a (large?) number of people zooming up the outside and then zipping because this can mean that there are sufficient of the latter to cause the tail of the queue to be stationary. Best solution would appear to be that there are signs for some distance saying "use both lanes" and then, at the point of constriction, signs saying "merge in turn". If everyone did that, then frustrations with zippers "should" be removed and it "should" ensure that there are not excessively long single lane queues. Seems to work well at the end of a bypass near us.(I think!!!)
--
Phil
If there are two lanes - use them! - PhilW
Sorry - I appear to be plagiarising TVM's last post - not intentional - my typing (and brain) is a bit slow!
--
Phil
I agree, again, with Gordon.. I concede, TVM, that your approach SHOULD work, but in reality it doesn't. If I can be so bold (I am scared now), you seem to have a rather black and white attitude to it. People perceive things differently, I don't think the vast majority of people who block people near a merge think they're superior beings, I think they genuinely believe they're doing others a favour. Misguided maybe, but they are getting their point over, as they see it, to the thrusting "execs" in the 3 series brigade.

Can I point out that I do NOT do the roadblock thing... I've only ever done it once at a point actually BY The cones, when I was driving a Bentley Arnage (not mine!). Bloke in a Rover engaged in a class war with me to try and get in... little did he know I actually drive a Skoda not a Bentley.
If there are two lanes - use them! - Dipstick
I'm with TVM.

If you deliberately cause a rolling roadblock because you assume you know the thought process, circumstances, "class" or attitude of someone else in the right hand lane, possibly in a car you somehow don't approve of, that seems to me to be little better than you driving at 70 in the outside lane of the motorway because you think nobody else should be allowed to go any faster.

Not a good idea. Don't do it.

Personally I'd rather not assume the mantle of traffic policeman. It's not really my business to deliberately provoke by obstruction, and I won't be provoked myself by others passing me in that way, because life is too sweet to spend on such things.

If there are two lanes - use them! - Nsar
So we're all agreed....
ZIP = ideal, but reality = self interest = chaos

How to solve it? Educate the "scream up right lane eejits" that they are creating problems.

How? Do it there and then at the point where they are trying it on

In other words, rolling block, gently slowing down to the speed of the inside lane.

Of course for the van driver I saw on the M6 on Weds who drove through the gravel on the central res to get past someone daring to impeed his progress towards the cones 100 yards ahead of him, only a frontal lobotomy will do.

If there are two lanes - use them! - Big Bird
I'm with TVM too.

The more of us that use both lanes until near the narrowing (in accordance with the Highway Code),
the less advantage there will be for those in the right lane
and so the less the self righteous will feel the need to block others.

So I'm doing my bit to reduce road rage, though I'm sure not everyone see it that way ;-)

Dan

So surely I'm just doing exactly what TVM says? I pull out into the right hand lane and drive in it making use of the available road space. The difference is that I drive within the speed limit and merge back in at a sensible point further up the road. What I dont do is pull out, race at 80mph (in a 40 limit) to the end and cut someone up to get back in the lane.

If you was to see the road in question and drive on it I think you would see my point of view.

TVM - everyone has a view, I'm happy to accept your point of veiw without resorting to insults :)
If there are two lanes - use them! - Big Bird
If you drive in the emptier lane at the speed limit (or any reaonable speed) you are doing nothing wrong.
It's those who drive at a crawl to avoid passing the nearside lane who are creating an unofficial road block.
Dan

Forgot to say in the earlier post that I would never obstruct the traffic. Its about everyone getting where they need to go, we all want to get home (in one peice). It's the agressive drivers that this rant is aimed at, you know, the ones who think they can tell others what job they should do....
Last years, someone (god bless the ground he walks on) put some roadworks in on the A1. Special signs preceeding the road works had pictures of cars "zipping" with a sign saying merge in turn. They were every 50 yards. 50 yards before the roadworks a sign said MERGE NOW.

It worked like a charm 99% of the time.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
And that is precisely how it should be - It would be such a simple way to make everyone's life better. There used to be a similar, albeit permanent, system by J11 of the M40 coming into Banbury. They seem to have abandoned it now in favour of one large lane where the agressive push past.

And with that, I'm going to do a reality check, stop arguing with people I don't know about something I don't particulary have strong feelings about, and get back to doing something work related. This interweb forum stuff can't be healthy, I cannot conceive of ever having this argument in the real world. :-)
Ah but there the rub. If we did have this chat int he real world, everyone would appreciate the situation and how we feel, these problems would not crop up and I would have no excuse to vent my Friday spleen at todays target of choice.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
If there are two lanes - use them! - andy76
Wow!
Stirred up some emotions with this post :)
To clarify the road situation I was referring to, it is a 70mph dual carriageway that changes to 40mph (dual lane) for about a mile then merges to one 40mph lane (right into left).

At busy times there is ALWAYS a long queue in the left hand lane not far after the 40mph signs and NO cars at all in the right hand lane. I guess in this instance I am guilty of 'blasting' down the right hand lane (albeit at no more than the speed limit).
I don't do it to be arrogant or 'get there first'. Simply if there is a lane to be used I use it rather than the cause the queue to get longer and longer.

The point is the queue can get long enough to not only block a crossing in the dual carriageway, but has on the odd ocassion got dangerously close to the 70mph section.

I agree that in reality what I did/do is/can be seen as aggressive and pushy but it would make sense if more cars did it then zipped.

Strange thing is, where there are 'use both lanes' signs they seem to work well!
If there are two lanes - use them! - David Horn
I would dearly love to zip down the right hand lane and merge in the turn, but I'm not brave enough. :(

Best way to do it would be to have both lanes merge into one, rather than arbitarily closing one off.
Wow!
Stirred up some emotions with this post :)
To clarify the road situation I was referring to, it is
a 70mph dual carriageway that changes to 40mph (dual lane) for
about a mile then merges to one 40mph lane (right into
left).

I wish I'd known sooner. It tends to make my "from two lanes at traffic lights to one lane after 100 yards on a 30 mph limit road" experience irrelevant in this context.
--
L\'escargot.
In reply to Dipstick's message above, can I just point out that during the incident I mentioned, the Rover driver called me a "posh expletive deleted" who thought I "was better than him cos I had a flash car". Completely untrue. I thought he was being an arrogant idiot by forcing his way into a line of traffic at the very end of an OBVIOUS lane merge. Apologies to anyone who feels I've insulted them (TVM and Dipstick), and no, I am not engaged in a class war, hence my comment about the Rover driver not knowing I actually own a Skoda! It does make sense to "zip" in the instance that andy76 used, but makes less sense on a motorway. IMHO! You will NEVER convince me that people who srive RIGHT TO THE END and then cut in are anything less than thrusting types who would love to be the "alpha male" type or its female equivalent.

And that's hopefully the last word from me on this subject.