Towing an automatic - Petel
"It safe to tow an automatic as long as the gear selector is in Neutral" Can anyone please advise if this is so?

I have already used the site search function, where all posts seem to relate to automatics being used for towing trailers/caravans, not to the car itself being towed.

Given the dire warnings issued by some manufacturers about towing an automatic over any distance or at any speed, some clarification would be appreciated.

This enquiry relates to automatics in general, torque converter or CVT, however if a specific vehicle is required, the car in question is a 1.4 Astra auto.

Thank you, Pete.
Towing an automatic - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK a suspended tow is OK ie the driven wheels off the ground and not turning. Anything else and there are speed and distance limits and I had one car where the handbook mentioned adding extra ATF fluid to the box. So, a flat loader or a suspended tow is the best way forward. What does the car handbook say?

My Peugeot hand book says, if you are towing with all 4 wheels on the ground, Gear box in 'N', less than 50 mph, not more than 30 miles and do not add oil to the box.
Towing an automatic - Dynamic Dave
I have already used the site search function,

Site search doesn't seek out forum postings. For that you need to use the Forum Search, which is just under where you log in & out.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33878
Towing an automatic - Hamsafar
It tells you in the Owner's Manual on Vauxhalls.
If you don't have a manual, you can download them as PDFs from somewhere on the "Owners" section of Vauxhall's homepage.
Towing an automatic - Dynamic Dave
Vehicles with automatic transmission should be towed facing forwards only and must not be towed faster than 50 mph (80 km/h) or further than 60 miles (100 km). If the transmission is defective, or if the above speed or distance is to be exceeded, the front axle must be raised off the ground.

To prevent the entry of exhaust fumes from the towing vehicle, switch on the air recirculation (if fitted) and close the windows.
Towing an automatic - Petel
Thank you to all for the replies.
Rgds Pete.
Towing an automatic - Gromit {P}
Rover SD1 manual used to specify disconnecting the driveshaft from the back axle or, failing that, adding extra ATF and not exceeding the speed and distance limits Dave quotes above.

The SD1 was fitted with a Borg-Warner or, on later models, a GM autobox.