Offence Codes - Peter Gabbott
Have just had my licence back endorsed for standard penalty £60 + 3 points, specifically: snapped for 58 in a 50 zone.

They (Hampshire Magistrates) have entered the offence code SP60 which according to DVLA list of endorsement offence codes is 'Undefined speed limit offence'. I was expecting SP30 'Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road'

'Phoned Hants Magistrates. Very nice lady says that they have endorsed it with a 'local code', in this cae it is their code for exceeding a 50 limit.

Sureley we don't have two or more sets of similar offence codes in use?

I suppose it's just about crazy enough to be true for our beaurocratic systems. Any ideas, experience or understanding anyone?

PG
Re: Offence Codes - Andy
I got an SP60 from Hants a few years ago for doing 102mph down the A303 which resulted in a short ban. I'm not defending this but it seems unfair to Peter to have the same classification.

I assumed my SP60 was because I was 'really' bad, as opposed to just 'slightly' bad.

Is there a definitive answer? I hope so because my insurance is shockingly high now and any way of reducing it would be welcomed!
Re: Offence Codes - Keith
SP60 will add more to your insurance cost than an SP30
Re: Offence Codes - Dwight Van Driver
Speed limits offences:
SP10 Xceed Goods Vehicle speed limit
SP20 Xceed speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods/passenger veh)
SP30 Xceed Statutory speed limit on public road
SP40 Xceed speed limit passnger vehicle
SP50 Xceed speed limit on Motorway
SP60 Undefined speed limit offence.

Isnt SP 30 for the Built up area 30 mph transgressors and SP 60 other limits on roads othger than M Way?
SHMBO was caught many years ago doing 40 in a 30 area and hers is SP30.
Re: Offence Codes - Andy
Anyone know which one of these codes is worst from an insurance viewpoint? Like Peter I'm concerned we're being unfairly penalised due to variances in standards across different regions.

And don't even get me started on WHY one speed is safe and another is dangerous....
Re: Offence Codes - Dwight Van Driver
Andy

Interesting point you raised so on a.m. perambulation for the papers called in at Swinton Insurance Brokers and posed your question.

Stated that they treat all SP's the same but look at the number of points awarded ( 3 - 6) as the more points indicate the faster the speed and as a result a 'load' may kick in.

And as a parting shot I was told each Company have their own rules but what I was told seems reasonable.

DVD
Re: Offence Codes - Mark (Brazil)
It may have changed, but they always used to be treated the same. The aiding and abetting and others caused more excitement, but the feeling was that if it had been *that* bad there would have been a Careless Driving or similar awarded as well.

However, they are always on the look out for surprising bans or excessive fines - either of which would receive a red flag.

However, always be on the look out for the telesales or admin person who knows noting and is filling in a form. Simply because they don't recognise a code they could give you a totally erroneous posiution, which would not be supported by the underwriters.