What to ban? - Manatee
What with the return of the 4x4 bashers, and news of the vote to ban smoking in public places, I have become rather taken with the idea that there are quite a lot of things that could usefully be banned, or at least limited by penal taxation to those who are rich enough (and therefore sensible and responsible enough, obviously) to have them.

In the arena of motoring, there's far too much unnecessary choice available, the exercise of which is introducing gratuitous risk into our lives and/or is a criminal waste of resources.

The question is not so much where to start, as where to stop.

I can't for the life of me find any justification on a public road for any car with a power to weight ratio greater than about 100bhp/tonne.

Neither can I see the justification for a car weighing more than about 300kg per passenger seat. This would unfortunately bring about the demise of the 'sports' car, but what legitimate purposes are they for anyway? It's a waste of scarce resources to build a car weighing 1000kg with 2 seats - if that's all you need, get a Smart.

Moving on from hardware, it has come to my attention that some people actually drive when they don't need to - even, sometimes, for fun! Clearly this is introducing needless risk not just for the drivers and their passengers, but also for the rest us who could be mown down by these feckless idiots at any time. What if they were to leave the road while having 'fun', and crash through the wall of an orphanage? Granted, it will be a challenge to come up with a system that ensures all journeys are fully justified, but I'm sure that our masters, with the help of a PFI inititaive and a £40bn computer system linked to Galileo, can solve that one.

Unfortunately, I have to go out this evening so I'll have to suspend the preliminary brainstorming myself, but no doubt other forum members could come up with some ideas - it would be a shame if we didn't all have an opportunity to become more valuable human beings by having at least one of our weaknesses proscribed or taxed to oblivion.

Over to you!
What to ban? - BazzaBear {P}
It's very simple really, there's only one thing that needs to be banned. People being on the road within a 1 mile radius of me. That should make my driving much more enjoyable.
What to ban? - cumfray1
Moving on from hardware, it has come to my attention that some people actually drive when they don't need to - even, sometimes, for fun!

No offence but isn't that what you buy a car for, to use to get to A-B, & for driving PLEASURE.

As for banning, I would ban Brussels from inflicting the UK with crazy laws.
What to ban? - Roly93
As for banning, I would ban Brussels from inflicting the UK
with crazy laws.

I would also ban the UK government from taking all of this Euro-babble seriously, you know what they say about EU legislation :-
The Italians laugh at new regulations
The French & Spanish ignore new regulations
The Germans 'note' and new regulations
The British follow and new regulation to the exact letter !

I can assure you, that working for a Pan-European Company it is exactly the same also !
What to ban? - Adam {P}
Hatchbacks.
What to ban? - Murphy The Cat
The biggest moron group of drivers on Britains roads - Hat Wearers - Ban Them NOW.

MTC
What to ban? - Robin Reliant
The rules of "The Banning Game" are clear cut.

Everything you don't do or have no interest in should be banned or heavily taxed. Every thing you do or would like to do should be made compulsory or subsidised.

See? It's simple, really.>> Hatchbacks.
What to ban? - turbo11
"hatch backs"?????.wouldnt be without mine.i have had saloons in the past- what a pain they are getting equipment in.
What to ban? - L'escargot
No offence but isn't that what you buy a car for,
to use to get to A-B, & for driving PLEASURE.

When I'm driving purely for pleasure I sometimes go from A to A ~ albeit via a circuitous route!
--
L\'escargot.
What to ban? - Clanger
What happened to HJ's pithy comment? Sense of humour failure, HJ?

I'd ban metal bull-bars,

baseball caps

sound systems more powerful than 25 watts

smoking while driving

dogs (oops, sorry, wrong forum ...)

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
What to ban? - local yokel
Ban SUV style 4x4s (not Subaru, Audi etc) to all those who don't need to tow, ford rivers or negotiate 1 in 3 hills in Wales/Scotland/Dales tec.
What to ban? - googolplex
ban lorries during the 'rush hour'...
Splodgeface
What to ban? - Armitage Shanks {p}
There should be a ban on ANY ICE system which does not mute itself when ANY window is opened! That would sort out the 250 watt chavs who infest our local town!
What to ban? - peterb
"The British follow and new regulation to the exact letter !"

If only. What actually happens is that our own beauracrats gold plate the regulations to make them tougher.
What to ban? - turbo11
ban chavs having any ice system in their car.In fact ban them full stop.
Ice gun - Justin Focus
Must be a market here for a microwave gun or similar that can fry chav ice systems.
Believe they have a system in California for roadside DB measuring and spot fines.
Better still, snipers. If the sniper can hear your ICE, then goodnight vienna.
What to ban? - Group B
If youre going to ban 4x4's you should also ban people carriers. Similarly sized stupid blobby things; half the time they've only got 1 or 2 people in them. When I was a kid we managed fine as a family of 4/5 in Mark 3 Cortinas and Mark 2 Cavaliers!

;o)
What to ban? - Manatee
I think some of us might need to increase the gain on our sarcasm detectors.

My point of course is that someone who chooses a 4x4 should not have to justify their choice of car or their considerate use of it, any more than should other drivers.

I have to support Armitage Shanks's proposal for muting in car 'music' though!
What to ban? - neil
How about overtaking??

After the recent multiple fatal, Mary Williams of 'Brake' was reported as saying something on the lines of 'we need to know if overtaking caused this - and if so the government need to see what needs to be done to end this dangerous practice' (or some such piffle - may not be an exact quote, but the gist of it is there.) Where will it stop?

What to ban? - Bagpuss
What to ban? Easy really, anything gratuitously boring - so all those mundane reliable Korean products for a start. I would also propose that any car with less than 6 cylinders gets stung with a "monotony" tax.
What to ban? - mike hannon
Company cars
whoops...
What to ban? - The Lawman
There used to be an ancient civilisation (Greeks? spartans?) that had a rule that if a politician tried to introduce a new law, and the law wasn't passed by the legislature, that politician was immediately taken outside and beheaded.

We should have that law.
What to ban? - tyro
There used to be an ancient civilisation (Greeks? spartans?) that had
a rule that if a politician tried to introduce a new
law, and the law wasn't passed by the legislature, that politician
was immediately taken outside and beheaded.
We should have that law.

I'd agree if if you were to delete everything between "and the law ..." and "... legislature".
What to ban? - Sofa Spud
I'd ban......Top Gear!!!!
What to ban? - Lud
Lists of people's pet hates, many of which are incomprehensible to 'a reasonable man'.
What to ban? - kingfisher
I'd ban that programme about bad drivers with Quentin Wilson..What a lot of tosh.....and Clarkson
What to ban? - Lud
I'd ban that programme about bad drivers with Quentin Wilson..What a
lot of tosh.....and Clarkson

Thank you kf, you've reminded me of that American Wildest Police Videos thing with the sneering white-haired fool talking unbelievable rubbish and rejoicing in the arrest of people some of whom are obviously harmless (although not all, I admit).

It's the sneering white-haired fool I can't stand. I keep longing for one of the alleged miscreants to run over him, but while waiting yes, he should be banned.
What to ban? - NowWheels
There used to be an ancient civilisation (Greeks? spartans?) that had
a rule that if a politician tried to introduce a new
law, and the law wasn't passed by the legislature, that politician
was immediately taken outside and beheaded.
We should have that law.

presumably, for consistency's sake, you would support your own beheading if your proposal was not taken up? ;)
What to ban? - Tomo
"I can't for the life of me find any justification on a public road for any car with a power to weight ratio greater than about 100bhp/tonne."

Toad's insurance papers say he is for social, domestic and PLEASURE purposes! (quite costly, too.)

And in reference to Bagpuss' posting, where does one stand with a 6 cylinder Hyundai?
What to ban? - Bagpuss
And in reference to Bagpuss' posting, where does one stand with
a 6 cylinder Hyundai?

Jury's out on that one. Might have to pass it on to the House of Lords;-)
What to ban? - JH
Haven't you heard? They've been banned.
JH
What to ban? - JH
Cones!
JH
What to ban? - Sofa Spud
>>>What to ban? Easy really, anything gratuitously boring - so all those mundane reliable Korean products for a start. I would also propose that any car with less than 6 cylinders gets stung with a "monotony" tax.<<<

On what grounds? The sound they make? A lot of 6-cylinder engines these days make a fairly dull 'whooming' sound, especially V6 automatics.
What to ban? - Tomo
Not Sonata sixes; when floored they make a noise like an Alfa
(just need a few more decibels!).
What to ban? - drbe
I'd ban any contributor to this forum who hasn't had his ID (Irony Detector) settings updated within the last seven days.
What to ban? - Mr.Tee43
CARAVANS !

Or at least some form of road fund taxation and MOT and insurance plus of course a charge similar to council tax !