Three Wheels On My Waggon - pdc {P}
I had an incident on Sunday evening with a minibus which belongs to a youth organisation.

We had just dropped 10 kids off, having completed a 100 mile round trip, most of which was on the M56, when 1 mile from where the vehicle is garaged there was a sudden and violent vibration from the rear end. The guy driving, who is a coach driver by day, stopped immediately, even though the vehicle was across an access road to an apartment complex. Good job he did. We got out to discover that the rear nearside wheel was no longer attached to the vehicle. 4 of the 5 bolts had sheered away, and although the 5th was still in place, along with nut, the steel rim of the wheel had torn around it. The drum of the axle was resting on the bottom of the wheel. 1 metre further on and things might have been worse.

The bolt holes in the wheel were elongated into rounded rectangles 3 times the diameter of the bolts.

The AA hadn't a clue how to get us onto the back of the low loader. We gingerly jacked the vehicle up and secured the wheel back to the axle using the one surviving nut and bolt, which was enough to get the vehicle onto the recovery truck.

What's playing on my mind is that I changed the wheel that came away 4 months ago, as the result of a puncture. I had assumed that the person who took it to be repaired had the professionals put the repaired wheel back onto the vehicle, and had restowed the spare. It turns out not, and that the tightness of the wheel nuts had not been checked. I can only assume that the wheel came off as a result of the nuts not being tight enough, and of course that would have been my fault. We had actually checked the tyre pressures and the oil and water levels before commencing the journey, but as it was dark when we set off, we didn't notice anything untoward with the wheel nuts. It's not something I would have even considered checking in any case. I will always check from now on.

I actually felt physically sick to think of what the consecquences would have been had the wheel come away 10 minutes earlier, when we were on the motorway, with 10 kids in the back. My mind was cast back to an incident with a minibus on the M56 near Manchester airport last year, when I was less than sympathetic in my postings on this forum. Experience is everything I guess.

Luck was definately on my side on Sunday.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - tr7v8
Research by the RAC Motorsports Div years ago after a spate of wheels coming off new Minis (old style so 1959/60) showed that a lot of wheels fail like this because of overtightening and cracking the centres. This is why I always torque my wheel nuts up & always slacken & retorque after anyone else has been near it.

Three Wheels On My Waggon - L'escargot
<< This is why I always torque my
wheel nuts up & always slacken & retorque after anyone else
has been near it.

I use a torque wrench and do the same as you after the car's been serviced. And because the wrench is 400 mm long it's a doddle to slacken the nuts as well as to tighten them.
--
L\'escargot.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - R75
In the post you mention that the driver at the time was a coach driver? Did he not check the wheel nuts before commencing his drive?

I always get slated for using the term "professional Driver" but in this instance the term should show the difference. When I do a vehicle check at the beginning of a shift in a truck (fortunatly rare now) one of the thinks I check are the wheel nuts, this is easy if they have the arrow markers fitted, if not then it is a tap with a metal bar to check, It is lucky that no one was hurt, but a lesson I doubt you will ever forget. It always amazes me that people spend time checking the oil and water, but very rarely check the bits that keep them in contact with the road!! (not having a pop at you by the way).

Have you since made a check sheet for the vehicle so whoever drives it signs to say they have checked all the items before they set off?? Might focus the mind somewhat.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Alan
I saw a wheel come off a transit on the A1M. The transit came to a halt on the hard shoulder and the wheel went over the central barrier and ended up on the opposite verge. Potentially a nasty situation.
We have check list that covers fluid levels, tyre pressure and condition, windows, all doors unlocked. Until last night it didn't mention the checking of wheel nuts.

I always wondered why wheel nuts on some trucks and buses have those arrow markers. Now I know.

Can you purchase those anywhere on the highstreet?
Three Wheels On My Waggon - jc
Years ago all the Rootes group rally team crashed out a rally in the first few miles.Reason-stove enamelled wheels and the nuts were only tightened down onto the paint which soon broke up.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - bell boy
perfect answer Truckersunite a weekly check of the bus would also be a good idea because if you are carrying passengers even if not for gain needs very competant records kept, the registered keeper could be looking at a charge of manslaughter if the wheel came off and anyone was killed.
I suggest you have a word with the vehicle inspectorate (vosa) and see what you should be doing to protect yourself and passengers,get yourself a proper cracking bar to tighten the wheels properly and keep it with the coach,as a matter of interest all wheels that have been fitted on any vehicle should be rechecked after 40 miles service maximum.
Hope that helps you sleep better .
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Altea Ego

paint a marker on the nut/wheel?
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
paint a marker on the nut/wheel?

You could do, but, every time you tightend the nuts or changed the wheel you would have to scrape the paint off and redo it. The markers can be purchased for trucks at the servicing agents, not sure about vans, check with the manufacturer ie Ford/LDV who ever made the van.
quick google returned this tinyurl.com/8wbh9 might be worth giving them a call.
tinyurl.com/7g3lu does not seem expensive for the safety aspect that they give.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Dynamic Dave

Will the interweb suffice?

www.tyre-rite.co.uk/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=46
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Dynamic Dave
Beat me to it TU.
Not often I'm quickest on the draw DD ;o)
faster than your 15 mile overtake tho TU! ;)
Never managed it that quick yet ;o)
I've actually asked for this to be reported up to the national HQ of the organisation, so that it can be disemminated back down to the 1000 or so local units who may benefit from my experience.

I am sure that there will be others out there who just don't think to check the wheel nuts. I'm determined to do regular checks on my car too. I've been driving for 13 years now, and have never thought to do that.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Waino
It states on the invoice from my local tyre supplier ' all wheel nuts must be checked after 50 miles' - I suppose (being a cynic), that this is their get-out clause. However, I wonder how many customers actually carry out that check.

It should be pretty basic stuff, really, so I had a look in SWMBO's Focus handbook and in my Mondeo handbook, and neither gave a torque setting for wheel nuts. Does anyone know of a source for this information?
It should be pretty basic stuff, really, so I had a
look in SWMBO's Focus handbook and in my Mondeo handbook, and
neither gave a torque setting for wheel nuts.

Haynes Focus manual says 85 Nm (63 lbf.ft). For a more authoritative figure why not call your nearest Ford dealer's service department?
--
L\'escargot.
It should be pretty basic stuff, really, so I had a
look in SWMBO's Focus handbook and in my Mondeo handbook, and
neither gave a torque setting for wheel nuts. Does anyone
know of a source for this information?

A Google search led me to this US website www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelTorque.dos

But I'm not going to put 95 lb.ft torque on my Focus's wheel nuts. No way Pedro!
--
L\'escargot.
They don't quote a torque normally because you are supposed only to tighten with the wrench supplied;not a length of scaffold pole!
They don't quote a torque normally because you are supposed only
to tighten with the wrench supplied;not a length of scaffold pole!

Why, exactly, should I not use my torque wrench?

Using the primitive wrench supplied the torque applied will depend on a combination of how strong you are and what you think feels right. Highly scientific, I must say.
--
L\'escargot.
You may have a torque wrench(speaking spanner?) and understand it's use but 99.99% of the buying public won't.A figure of so many pounds.feet would only confuse them.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Waino
I've got a torque wrench, but only get to use it once every blue moon. Now the topic of wheels falling off has arizen, it seems like an eminently sensible reason to try it out again - especially as you are supposed to check the tightness of the wheel nuts after 50 miles or so.

I know a spanner is normally supplied with car but, as mentioned above, the results of its use are subject to huge variation depending on strength of operator and whether or not they opt to stand on the spanner to get that extra bit of oomph.
You may have a torque wrench(speaking spanner?) and understand it's use
but 99.99% of the buying public won't.

I don't believe that only 1 in 10,000 will understand a torque figure and will possess, and know how to use, a torque wrench. That's only 7 people in a town the size of Daventry.
--
L\'escargot.
I suspect that only 1 in 10 drivers know what a torque wrench is.

So in Daventry - at this very moment in time - its littered with 7000 cars where one or more of the wheels have fallen off.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Phil I
I am always amazed when walking along minding my own business and a car passes by making the unmistakable sound of a loose wheel nut rattling around in the hubcap. Can only think the stereo must be on top volumes for the row not to be noticed.
So in Daventry - at this very moment in time -
its littered with 7000 cars where one or more of the
wheels have fallen off.

That's something else I don't believe!
--
L\'escargot.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - steveo3002
talking of torque wrenches...it amazes me when people will wizz on the wheel nuts with a impact gun or long bar, then take the wrench and set it to xx ftlbs , and go around and torque up the wheel nuts

theres no point in checking if theyre already too tight, they must be slakened and then torqued up...slaken with a breaker bar when possible
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Bill Payer
>> You may have a torque wrench(speaking spanner?) and understand it's
use
>> but 99.99% of the buying public won't.
I don't believe that only 1 in 10,000 will understand a
torque figure and will possess, and know how to use, a
torque wrench. That's only 7 people in a town the size
of Daventry.
--
L\'escargot.

How do you know the torque wrench is accurate anyway - would you get it checked and certified every year?
How do you know the torque wrench is accurate anyway -
would you get it checked and certified every year?

Even if it's not accurate, unless it has been significantly damaged it will normally be close enough for tightening up the wheel nuts/bolts of a vehicle used for social and domestic purposes. If a torque wrench owner/user is really concerned about its accuracy then I'm sure the local trading standards people (or whoever) will check it for them.
Whatever it's degree of accuracy, using any torque wrench is better than not using a torque wrench at all.
--
L\'escargot.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - borasport20
PDC - having spent 15 years as a leader in another organisation, and shipping tranny vans full of kids round the Lake and Peak District, I think I can fully understand that you really did feel upset - you really do have my sympathies. Don't let it stop you doing what you do.

Me, I'm one of those smug so and so's with a Williams Superslim torque wrench in the back of the car, set to the right torque for my car.
And I ALWAYS check when wheels are put back on.
EXCEPT when I don't, like when the wheels were last changed, as I had a set of four put on, at a tyre fitters, so they must be right, mustn't they ?

Three Wheels On My Waggon - Sofa Spud
I had a wheel come off one of those dreadful 1960's Commer vans -the rounded bobbly ones with that that looked like they were trying to hide their wheels altogether. It happened in a farm driveway, luckily. I was working for a small haulage company at the time and I also had a pair of rear wheels come loose, but not fall off, on a 16 ton tipper. This was in the late 1970's and with hindsight I suspect sabotage.

Cheers, SS
Three Wheels On My Waggon - mare
I had a wheel come off one of those dreadful 1960's
Commer vans -the rounded bobbly ones with that that looked like
they were trying to hide their wheels altogether.

Ah, a PB. Funny looking thing. BT had loads of the things
Some Transits have LH threaded wheelnuts one side and RH threads the other to stop them working loose.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - Hugo {P}
PDC

The imprtant thing is that no one was hurt. Minimal damage was done to the vehicle I assume.

The ideas discussed are all valid.

Whatever you do, don't give yourself a hard time about it, you don't deserve it. We've all done the odd stupid thing in or on a vehicle. 99.99999% of the time we get away with it. Besides 4 months and several 000s miles, your actions may not have been the cause.

Some light relief perhaps.....

When I was at school during 1983, we had a post retirement aged ex WW2 officer as a staff member who used to take us sailing. This chap was an absolute gent in every sence of the word, but his hearing and communication skills in general were beginning to waine.

On one trip some of the 6th formers who were bored bought some butane and started sniffing it in town.

On the way back by sheer coincidence, the windscreen was hit and splintered into several pieces. It was a toughened screen so it had to be knocked out for the driver to see properly and we made our way home.

Now the 6th formers on the butane were beginning to find that more and more things were amusing them. Indeed they simply laughed at all efforts made by us to get them to shup up or even the old colonel's efforts in repremanding them. They were very relaxed sitting in the front passenger seat with their feet resting in the hole where the windscreen should have been!

About a mile away from the school the old colonel had finally had enough. So he stopped the minibus and ordered these guys out to walk the rest of the way.

They duly obliged, still giggling like school girls. Whilst exiting the vehicle, one of them slipped as he shut the door.

When the colonel drove off we felt the minibus run over something. It was said 6th former's leg! After what seemed like 1 minuite of the rest of us shouting "Sir, you've just run over Phil!", loud enough for him to hear, the colonel stopped to assess the situation.

Phil had by this time managed to stand up and start hobbling towards the minibus, still giggling and still holding his can of butane, which no doubt would see him through the worst of the pain.

Much subdude 6th formers and slightly quieter colonel then climed back into the minibus and we arrived back at the school.

The leg oddly enough was not broken, but after the effects of the butane wore off Phil did tell me that his leg did hurt.

Since there was no serious injury, we brokered a deal between the colonel and Phil that Phil would keep quiet about being run over in exchange for the colonel's silence about the butane etc.
To be fair though we knew that the colonel would not want to mention the butane incident, and we really didn't want to see this old gent get into trouble about the accident.

Sorry for the long post, but PDC next time that incident preys on your mind, think about the colonel and the butane - you're sure to smile ;)
Three Wheels On My Waggon - PhilW
pdc,
You have my sympathy and understanding. Despite some replies above I do not believe that you behaved negligently or even in a way that would not be deemed normal by most others. Like you, I often drive youngsters around in minibuses and have done since 1974. I have many colleagues who do/have done the same. As far as I know, none have a torque wrench or go round checking the wheel nuts before every trip. I have also hired many minibuses and vans and cars. I have never checked the wheel nuts with a torque wrench. Nor, when queuing behind others have I ever known them to check wheel nuts before driving off. I have checked tyres, oil and water - in fact I turned down a bus with what I thought was a rather treadless tyre. I have to say that, while fitting a towball recently, I asked all my colleagues (about 50 of them) whether anyone had a torque wrench I could borrow. About 75% did not even know what a torque wrench was, none of them owned one.
For people to imply that you should check wheel nuts is, I think , somewhat excessive. Should you also whip off the wheels and ensure that the brake pads are OK? Or do you trust the organisation/school/club etc to have had the bus properly serviced/maintained etc?? I think the latter is reasonable and that you should not blame yourself. Lets be reasonable about this.
By the way, could someone tell me how to get at the inner wheelnuts on a double back-wheeler minibus? Are they on the inside or outside? Could I get a torque wrench on them without taking off the outer wheel?
Shows how much I know about checking wheel nuts.
Maybe I've just been lucky. There but for the grace of God......

Phil
By the way, could someone tell me how to get at
the inner wheelnuts on a double back-wheeler minibus? Are they on
the inside or outside? Could I get a torque wrench on
them without taking off the outer wheel?
Shows how much I know about checking wheel nuts.
Maybe I've just been lucky. There but for the grace of
God......
Phil

The wheels will both be attached with one set of bolts that go through both wheels, maybe if you had ever checked them you would have noticed this!!!!!

As for who is responsible for checking a vehicle, the driver is, and that should include wheel nuts, many an HGV driver has been in court because of loose wheel nuts, it takes 5 minutes to do, you don't need a torque wrench, just a wheel brace or something to give them a tap with. I think it is a little irresponsible of you to say it is someone elses job to check the condition of a vehicle you are going to drive. As a final point can I ask that you never transport my daughter when you have such an attitude towards basic vehicle checks.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - PhilW
"you don't need a torque wrench, just a wheel brace or something to give them a tap with. I think it is a little irresponsible of you to say it is someone elses job to check the condition of a vehicle you are going to drive. As a final point can I ask that you never transport my daughter when you have such an attitude towards basic vehicle checks."

OK, just to show my ignorance - how does tapping a wheel nut show it is tightened to the correct torque?? I have passed (several times) local authority tests to enable me to transport youngsters. You would have thought that someone might have mentioned checking wheel nuts before setting of wouldn't you? I didn't mean to be irresponsible for the last 30 years, but nobody has even suggested to me before that I should check wheel nuts before setting off. I apologise.
I won't (knowingly) ever transport your daughter, but would like to ask whether you apply the same standards to others?? Have you checked with your daughter's school and all their minibus drivers, school bus driver, sports clubs, youth clubs, friends' parents, local bus company, local taxi firms, wife, grandfather, grandmother, auntie Mary etc etc etc, whether they check the wheel nuts before transporting your daughter? Or do you go round with a wheeltapper before she gets in any vehicle?
Phil
Three Wheels On My Waggon - tyre tread

By tapping you can tell if any sound different from the rest, or a really loose one will turn, not difficult to do and does not take long once you get into the habit (better still if the arrow indicators are fitted to the wheel nuts).

My daughter is not of school age yet, but yes I will make sure they have correct proceadures for checking vehicles, as for taxi's etc she has never had to use them yet and grandparents know exactly what I am like about cars and safety so humour me somewhat.
Three Wheels On My Waggon - commerdriver
Ah, a PB. Funny looking thing. BT had loads of the things

wonderful vehicles, I still have one
managed to keep 4 wheels on it so far
Three Wheels On My Waggon - cub leader
Ah, a PB. Funny looking thing. BT had loads of the
things

Not that funny at the time, still a fantastic vehicle now
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???