Backroom Inane Babble ?? - r3d_dwarf
sounds a bit offish comment to me, more so because this is supposed to be A DISCUSSION ROOM.
surely in a discussion room we can discuss and chat about relivent issues and this site is used by the USER and without us it would not exist.
bit of big brother and bully boy tactics to me and if thats the case i wont be using it.
im not ONE of the ones your accusing but to me great britain is the country of the free and free speach.
this is not a complaint but i do feel that your suppressing us to what you think we all should do and say in what is at the end of the day a public service.
ita annoying because of our everyday lives is slowly changing because we have to addapt to other peoples/ways because its correct.
gary
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - Xileno {P}
One is encouraged to e-mail the moderators directly if you have issues with the moderating policy.
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - cheddar
I see know harm in discussing this, the MOD's will let us know if they disagree.

I agree with the MOD's in that we need to maintain a motoring theme however I don't think there is any harm done if a thread degenerates into a bit of a laugh for 10 or 15 posts or so.

My main issue is when light hearted banter is misconstrued to the extent that insults come flying back, I guess one way to stop this is to crack down on the banter however personally I think it would be preferable if the condescending snipes, thinly vieled insults and sheer rudeness were cut out allowing a bit of friendly banter to continue.

Yes, I know I am not entirely innocent when it come to throwing around insults however I beleive I have only ever done so in response to somewhat offensive and rather patronising comments from others.

Thanks r3d for raising this.
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - mfarrow
I agree with the MOD's in that we need to maintain
a motoring theme however I don't think there is any harm
done if a thread degenerates into a bit of a laugh
for 10 or 15 posts or so.

2 or 3 posts yes not 10 or 15! People need to get a grip of the bigger picture here. This is a motoring forum run in the name of Honest John. People come on here to find the same kind of informative advice and discussion they find when the read HJ's column in the DT, not to go through a thread and find out half way that it's turned into a discussion about someone's elderly neighbour. When people find this (me!) they get annoyed and exit the thread, even though someone may have written a perfectly good comment at the bottom of the babble.

I've read enough about free speech from here and other forums. Yes, we have it, but when in Rome do as Rome does. You wouldn't start shouting out through a cinema screening, would you?

--------------
Mike Farrow
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - cheddar
>>2 or 3 posts yes not 10 or 15!>>

Yes, I agree perhaps 10 to 15 is too much.
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - The Lawman
I agree with mfarrow.

More and more often, threads have degenerated into private chit-chat between a small number of backroomers.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of humour or irreverance, (although many of the so called "jokes" are anything but funny) but a balance should be struck.

The answer that "you do not have to read the thread do you?" is just plain silly. No of course I don't have to read the thread. I can stop using the site, (and so can everyone else who feels the same).

Backroom Inane Babble ?? - mss1tw
Am I the only one who couldn't give a...hoot...if someone decides to have a chat in a thread?

You all seem smart, learn to skim read!

Scroll with the mousewheel, read the useful bits and skim past the junk. I would suggest anyone getting so irate about it needs a hobby.
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - nortones2
I can't quite get my head around the last sentence, so before jumping in, perhaps r3d could clarify?
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - mss1tw
I think he basically means everyone having to be nicey nice and not daring to do or say anything that can be misconstrued for fear of repurcussions.

Or something.
Backroom Inane Babble ?? - Dynamic Dave
In a way I'm glad someone has brought this up, as only last night Hugo, Smokie and myself were discussing how we can bring the Backroom back on track and lower the amount of inane babble.

To clarify,

Discussions regarding a certain individuals boot on his car, and colour of his car were once funny. That ceased after the umpteenth reference to it. (That, by the way isn't a dig at the individual concerned, but to the people who are forever refering to it.)

Similarily, discussions regarding Mondeo TDCi's being the dog's danglies have become yesterday's news.

Threads are starting to degenerate, either by being highjacked and going totally off topic; people being overly pedantic; people treating this place like a lads club; as well as 101 other reasons that I'm sure you're all aware of.

As with any other forum, humour and other banter are par of the course, BUT ONLY up to a point.

Ultimately this is a motoring forum, and therefore discussions should be of that nature - IHAQ and computer related questions excepted.

Right, now that is out of the way, if you have any further opinions regarding how this site is moderated, then direct them to the global moderators email address, as mentioned in one of the sticky's at the top of the page.

DD.