Comfortable ride - SkyDragon
Hi people,

Basically, I've done up my 1992 Prelude from the outside, resprayed white, new body kit etc. But there's one thing thats really annoying me - I want to know how to make the car a smoother ride. While driving, the car is kind of okay, but shakes and to be honest, I hate it! I want the ride to be as smooth as, say, a BMW. What would I need to replace/do to make that happen? I'm no mechanic, so I need help from you lot!
Comfortable ride - Truckosaurus
Is the car still riding on standard suspension?

If it is, then you will have to find some softer than standard springs and dampers. You might be the first person ever to fit such things. :-)

It might be that your existing suspension is just worn out after 13yrs.
Comfortable ride - L'escargot
Seek professional advice. Alter the suspension willy nilly and you just might end up with an evil-handling car.
--
L\'escargot.
Comfortable ride - J Bonington Jagworth
"you just might end up with an evil-handling car"

Especially if it's the one with 4-wheel steering!
Comfortable ride - J Bonington Jagworth
"new body kit"

Did it have an old body kit? I only ask as that may have indicated some sort of 'sports pack' with harder suspension, especially if you've also got newish alloys and low profile tyres. Broadly speaking, the Europeans seem to do suspension better, possibly on account of our rougher roads, although I daresay there is some room for improvement with tyres and shocks.
Nah, it was a standard Prelude, and a body kit was fitted by the previous owner. Then I bought it. However, I'd rather not mess around with the springs and all that - Is there some simple ways of making the ride more comfortable? Tyres? Shocks?
Also, yeah the tyres look pretty low-profile, and semi worn. The car does seem "hard" when driving, so simple little bumps in the road make the car shake.
Comfortable ride - BobbyG
If previous owner fitted the bodykit, chances are he did the suspension as well. Lowered and tightened it to give that great no body roll feeling but in the process, all your teeth fall out with the shaking and vibration!

Not sure what costs would be involved in redoing the suspension but if your tyres are due for replacement, by not fitting ultra low profile tyres then that in itself, will make a big difference.
Comfortable ride - mss1tw
I know the feeling, my 306 is a DTurbo sports model, and I don't know if it's the weight of a big 2 litre lump at the front or just the hardness of the suspension but bumps are painful in this car, get thrown about all over the place!
Comfortable ride - patently
I know the feeling, my 306 is a DTurbo sports model,
and I don't know if it's the weight of a big
2 litre lump at the front or ...

I'd have thought the mass of the engine would help? More inertia and all that...
Comfortable ride - mss1tw
In that case I can only conclude the struts are in fact filled with concrete rather than the more coventional oil. :^D
Comfortable ride - patently
In that case I can only conclude ....

Or that I'm wrong.... ;-)