Resident Parking Bays - daveyjp
Does anyone think before the times are set for these? The area around Albany Road in Cardiff is now virtually all residents parking. Albany Road is a very popular shopping area so gets plenty of shoppers! On a recent visit to Cardiff we needed to go to Albany Road and tried to find a space. Street after street was devoid of cars as residents were at work, but every one was residents parking only between 8am and 7pm. All these spaces were not being utilised during the day. Wouldn't it make sense to make it residents only between the hours of say 3pm and 10 am so that between these hours there are five hours a day when the roads are free for shoppers to park?
Resident Parking Bays - cheddar
I don't know the area of Cardiff in question though I agree 100% in principal, I once campaigned against the introduction of a CPZ, petitioned the council etc, the CPZ was still introduced though with sensible modifications, one of which was 11:00 to 15:00 operating times.
Resident Parking Bays - peterb
Near our local tube station it's 11.00-12.00.

Very sensible - stops commuters hogging all the spaces and means that the parking wardens only need to visit once during the day!
Resident Parking Bays - Altea Ego
Near our local tube station it's 11.00-12.00.

Oh - Must be near Brent Cross!
Resident Parking Bays - tack
>> Near our local tube station it's 11.00-12.00.
Oh - Must be near Brent Cross!

No, they are all over the place, especially near to tube stations. As has been said, stops commuters parking for the station. Try parking near Newbury Park by the central line in Ilford Essex. 1 hour of the day is no parking.
Resident Parking Bays - Bromptonaut
Don't know the area but restrictions were probably requested by the residents. Hours suggest commuter parking may also have been a problem as well, this can very quickly reach saturation point, particularly if out of towners use it to park and ride the last few stops into Cardiff by train.

I'm sure the residents are not 100% 9 to 5 workers, some will return home at other times of the day and expect ot be able to park outside theri houses.
Resident Parking Bays - Thommo
Not moi. I campaigned against the parking scheme for my street in Guildford. Could pretty much never park in my street before, can now pretty much never park in my street now but I'm paying £35 a year for the privilege. Any house can apply for any number of permits for any number of cars registered at that address see?
Resident Parking Bays - Bill Payer
Not moi. I campaigned against the parking scheme for my
street in Guildford. Could pretty much never park in my
street before, can now pretty much never park in my street
now but I'm paying £35 a year for the privilege.
Any house can apply for any number of permits for any
number of cars registered at that address see?

There's something very bonkers about that whole thing :-)
Resident Parking Bays - The Lawman
Similar experience in Norwich.

Although we could only get one guest permit per house.

Parking was no easier, if there was any improvement, it was marginal.

If you were having a dinner party (and needed and extra guest permit or two) you had to either apply in writing or present yourself in person to some council office, pay a couple of quid and get a temporary extra permit. Obviously not worth the hassle.

On the day I moved out of the house, the transit I hired got a ticket. I was incandescent, and wrote a polite but insistent letter to the council, and got off.

As far as I could see, the only real effect of the scheme was to extract cash from us, make our lives invonvenient, and provide employment for a traffic warden and a few more council employees.

The perceived problem was people using our street to park and then go into town for shopping. Yet they made the scheme 24/7.

I think I was the only bloke in the street who voted against it.

Resident Parking Bays - codefarm
As far as I could see, the only real effect of
the scheme was to extract cash from us, make our lives
invonvenient, and provide employment for a traffic warden and a few
more council employees.

Government in a nutshell!
Resident Parking Bays - TheGrocer
Hey The Lawman
Whats it like being incandescent, do you glow in the dark or just burst into flames?
Resident Parking Bays - islandman
As far as I could see, the only real effect of
the scheme was to extract cash from us, make our lives
invonvenient, and provide employment for a traffic warden and a few
more council employees.

Government in a nutshell!

And.....aimed at getting us to leave our cars at home and use the wonderfully cheap, safe and efficient public transport systems!!
Resident Parking Bays - codefarm
Leaving your car at home if you can find anywhere to park it, that is!
Resident Parking Bays - r.fensome
In the street I used to live in the parking was awful as each house seemed to have at least two or more cars. We had a letter from the residents association asking for ideas to improve the area and parking. My suggestion after much thought was this,

Entire street made residents only. 1 permit to each house free, any other permits for cars at that adress £150 a year each, with the streets that cross our roads that have no houses on them free. I thought it was brilliant idea, if you wanted to park three cars outside yours and next doors house, fine, but you pay for it, if you don't want to pay, you park in the non residential area and walk a few yards. Alas, it was never mentioned again, and I moved a year later to a house with off-road parking.

I also think resident only areas near shopping areas are a cynical ploy by councils to force people into pay-and-display car parks especially where the on-street parking is also pay-and-display.
Resident Parking Bays - DavidHM
There's very little pay and display parking near Albany Road, either, unfortunately (I know the area well).

If you do need to go there again davey, try parking on Cottrell Road. You have to drive down various side streets to get there but there is a fair amount of free parking (in both senses - zero cost and available) on there on a regular basis.