BMW 850 steering problem - nirana solutions
I have a J reg 850 coupe. It has a steering problem that occurs ONLY when the car is cold.

Basically it makes a horrible grinding sound when turning. On a hot day or 20 minutes after the car has been started the grinding dissapears.

I have had the steering box and the pump stripped and reconditioned to no avail, the problem is exactly the same. The garage I have been using have given up on it.

Can anyone free me from my expensive nightmare, with some what next advise ???
BMW 850 steering problem - Colonel Panic
Wgen it's doing it, take the top of the PAS reservoir and see if the fluid is foaming. Do you mean even when stood still on a cold day, you turn the steering wheel and something sounds like a grinder until you let go of the wheel?

This is usually air being drawn in. Some people find replacing the filter in the bottom of the reservoir helps if there is one on yours. It usually looks like a donut.
BMW 850 steering problem - storme
www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/index.php?showforum=33

try here,,its a bmw forum,,,,,it might offer a bit more specialized answers

i think im allowed to post it :)
--
www.storme.co.uk
BMW 850 steering problem - Number_Cruncher
I would agree with the suggestions given the Colonel above - checking any filters is a sensible first check to make. Anything that restricts the flow of oil to the inlet of the pump can cause noise. As a quick test, I would undo the inlet pipe at the pump, and make sure that oil flows freely out the end of the pipe.

Not only can you get air entrainment, but also you can get cavitation if there is insufficient pressure available at the inlet (normally, this is atmospheric pressure, plus that due to the height of the reservoir above the pump).

Number_Cruncher