00 - electronic dash issues - JamesB
Hi all

Bought a 2000(V) Espace in December with the known fault that when trying to use the radio, the digital dash would flash on and off. Didn't bother me that much - it was a useful negotiating point, and we're usually forced to listen to the kids' CDs in the car anyway ...

Lately it's been behaving rather more strangely. A couple of weeks ago the radio started working fine, without the dash problems. Then it went back to its old ways again.

Yesterday it went completely mental. Current symptons are that the digital readouts - odo, trip, speedo - have decided to go all French on me and are reading in km/h. This I could live with - or at least not worry about until MoT time - but for the fact that the speedo (not the rest of the dash, just the speedo) flashes constantly. Oh, and the remote key fobs don't work any more.

TBH I'd settle for getting the dash reprogrammed to read in miles again. But I don't particularly want to go to a Renault dealer and be told I need to shell out a four-figure sum on a new dash and radio.

Any ideas what's up / where to start? Needless to say I've tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours, to no avail.

TIA

James

Edited by Pugugly on 19/10/2008 at 12:21

Renault Espace electronic dash issues - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
New dash insert is about £400. Mine used to do strange things when the bulbs started to go. No great shakes getting the dash top off, pop out the speaker grilles and undo the self tappers then lift off the dash top. The insert is held in with a few screws, a couple hidden under the two foam pads the dash top sits on. Carefully check the bulbs and all the connections. Disconnecting the battery wont help as the insert has its own internal battery to keep the odo alive. The bulbs are funny wattages (gallic flair dont y'know) and screw up the display if incorrect, go to main agent for em.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Renault Espace electronic dash issues - bobtrike1
hi had same prob.waited till dash showed correct mileage or as near as possible then removed fuse in passenger footwell.dash works fine but no radio.fit a standard cd/radio in glove box or under dash .by far cheaper than new dash or renault radio.tell me folks if it worked for you.