Battery Life - Carl
What is the life expectance of car batteries these days?, used to be 3 - 4 years but have battery manufacturers made advances.

The reason I ask is that I am spending some weeks driving around Europe in the spring, my car is 4 years old (diesel), and the local tyre depot is having a battery sale on now.
Re: Battery Life - JohnD
What's the length of a piece of string? My last three new cars have had battery lives of 6 years, 5 years, and the most recent, just over 3. On replacement batteries - it seems that you get what you pay for.
Re: Battery Life - Brian
If you suspect that your battery is not up to scratch then get it checked (or try starting the car a few times in a row. If the turnover gets noticeably slower on the third or fourth attempt it is getting dodgy)
If it seems OK then stay with it. Batteries are widely available in foreign parts and probably cheaper than in your local sale.
Re: Battery Life - Phil Goodacre
Brian is right. If it seems okay now but lets you down on the continent, you will find a replacement in Europe cheaper than you can here, especially in France.
Re: Battery Life - THe Growler
My 94 Mazda eats a battery about every 14 months. The electrics have been pored over and checked and rechecked by different service centers ad nauseam at great expense numerous times, no one can find a problem (I remember HJ saying electrics were funny on this model). It's not battery quality, as I use the ones every one else does, and they don't have problems. Replacement maintenance-free batteries in Manila cost about eighteen pounds equiv. That's cheaper than looking for whatever's cooking them, and so that's what we do, plus carry booster cables in the back.

Incidentally, these batteries have a 12 month warranty, and the annoying thing is they seem to to just scrape past the year before they croak!
Re: Battery Life - KB
Have a look at ...
www.ssaclub.f9.co.uk/Reference/F_Car_Battery.htm
Its an Amrican site, but is stacked with battery stuff.
KB
Re: Battery Life - Carl 2
My wifes 87 Micra 1.0 still has its original battery. I suppose the fact that it doesn,t have to power a large compression engine, central locking, electric windows etc must be the reason for this .
Re: Battery Life - ian (cape town)
Carl,
I'm sure that a lot of stop-start driven cars suffer from early battery death - what with the heater fan, electric rear windscreen, etc etc pulling more power than the alternator can supply ...
Can somebody confirm this?
Re: Battery Life - RogerL
Delco / Vauxhall batteries last about ten years from my experience. I also use one for my caravan as they last longer than leisure batteries.
Re: Battery Life - THe Growler
That's longer than their cars!! "For Sale, one carefully used battery, 110k miles, needs new car...."
Re: Battery Life - RogerL
1960's Vauxhalls maybe but not more recent Opel based designs. The Cavalier is certainly outlasting the Sierra and BMW 3 series.
Re: Battery Life - peter
My view would be if it survives thro to end of Feb, the chances are that it is good for another 8 months minimum.
(Talking about Northern hemisphere only!)
Re: Battery Life - john fitton
1990 Audi 140,000 - original battery, '94 Passat 197,000 original battery, '92 Peugeot 309 101,000 original [weak - why does it discharge after 3 days? Unscrew terminal if inactive for >2/7].

All topped up with rainwater from the butt.

Make the originals last as long as possible, they are usually better quality than local cheapos.
Re: Battery Life - john fitton
Aaaarghh! Just remembered, replaced passat''s last year.