Farmers moving cows - David Horn
Driving through narrow Devon lane t'other day, following another car. Massive herd of cows coming the other way. I reversed to the nearest space, but car in front took up all the room, leaving back of my car sticking out into lane. Farmer then urges his cows past, which scrape along my car. I didn't notice until I got to a garage to fill up that they've left a dent. (Second one in as many week - d'oh!)

I know which field they came from so could track down farmer without any trouble. It's only a small dent so not especially worried, but do farmers have public liability insurance they/I could claim on? Just curious for the time being, it's only noticable if you compare one side to the other.
Farmers moving cows - Pugugly {P}
Yes - probably.
Farmers moving cows - Hugo {P}
David

If you want to pursue this, suggest you approach this by getting an estimate for the work, then contact the farmer in question and ask for his public liability insurance details. You could mention that your insurer needs them.

If he is covered by public liability he could have an excess which will probably be more than the value of the damage. I am in property repairs/maintenance and my PL insurance has an excess of a few hundred pounds. Hence if I do any damage which is only a few quid I am expected to rectify this myself or foot the bill for someone else to.

How he'll respond I don't know

H
Farmers moving cows - bax
A year or so back I had a car damaged by a herd of cows that a farmer was moving along a lane. He apologised, gave me his name and address and the 'phone number of the local NFU insurance agent and the claim was dealt with in a couple of weeks with no fuss. Because there was no knock-for-knock jiggery pokery I didn't have the bother of fighting to retain my NCD. bax