Ford Fiesta Brake warning lamp stuck on. - clockerharvey
I have a 2001 Ford Fiesta Flight Diesel and have had the red brake warning lamp stuck permanenetly ON since last week just after I had to do an emergency stop.

Looking in the manual, it tells me that it means that the fluid level is low but I have checked and the reservoir is full.

Could it be possible that this lamp is wired to any other switch such as a brake pressure balance switch which could have been actuated during the hard braking where I applied a very high force to the pedal.

I believe that some vehicles are fitted with sensors which would detect any imbalance between the two circuits but are they latching? (ie do they stay closed until manually reset).

Does the Fiesta have such a switch and if so, where is it and how can I reset it ??

Thanks in advance

Steve Harvey
Ford Fiesta Brake warning lamp stuck on. - sierraman
I do not think there are latching switches,but if one side of the split circuit had a problem the light would stay on.It is possible the same light is used for brake wear indication also,it may be that your pads have chosen this moment to tell you they are worn.It would be best to get the brakes checked A.S.A.P..
Ford Fiesta Brake warning lamp stuck on. - clockerharvey
I have checked the pads in the nearside and there is more than 5mm of material on inner and outer linings. There is no wear sensor on the n/s/f pad (I have not checked the o/s/f).

What else could make the light go on other than a low reservoir level ??
Ford Fiesta Brake warning lamp stuck on. - pmh
On this model does it use the handbrake microswitch to perform a bulb test? If handbrake sw is misadjusted it could cause the warning light to stay on.

I think that some (older???) hydraulic imbalance switches do mechanically latch, have you also confirmed that the brakes are not just working on one circuit. Best bet is to get it on brake tester asap.

--

pmh (was peter)

Ford Fiesta Brake warning lamp stuck on. - Adam {P}
It is the same light for the handbrake yes. Check that everything's in order there.
--
Adam