Vectra key fob - dead - robZilla
Yesterday one of the key fobs for my Vectra went dead. I don't think the battery has run out because it worked perfectly up until yesterday (what I mean is, usually you can tell if the battery is running out, you have to start pressing the buttons a bit harder and stand closer to the vehicle).

I changed the battery anyway (a procedure I have done serveral times before), but it still does not work. Thankfully, the other one does. On visual inspection there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. I am thinking that it has probably lost it's programming and needs to be re-programmed, but could it be something else? If so, does anyone know where I can get this done without being charged an arm and a leg?

Top Reply

Vectra key fob - dead - Dynamic Dave
To reprogramme, put the key in the ignition, turn until you get the dash lights, then press the fob buttons. If successful, the central locking will activate.

All Replies

To reprogramme, put the key in the ignition, turn until you get the dash lights, then press the fob buttons. If successful, the central locking will activate.
Well I never, it worked! A thousand thanks DD, made my day :)
Vectra key fob - dead - Victorbox
If it is the same as the Corsa according to the owners manual you have 3 minutes max to finish the key battery swop before you have to reprogramme it.
Indeed it is, however changing the battery is very simple and shouldn't take more than a minute really. Out of interest, this reprogramming via the ignition - is it the same procedure as Vx will happily charge you £40 for?
Vectra key fob - dead - John S
This procedure is detailed in the handbook, so it's no secret. However, I've heard about significant charges for this before. Sounds like a penalty charge for the owners who don't RTFM!

Just as well it is in the book, as on my last couple of Vauxhalls I've found the keyfobs lose the code no matter how quickly the battery is changed.

JS
is it the same procedure as Vx will happily charge you £40 for?

I think a charge of that magnitude would be to reprogramme a new key transponder (that's the chip inside the key fob) to the ecu.
I see. I hadn't realised the procedure is described in the manual, I'll have alook later and see if I can find it.
Vectra key fob - dead - John S
DD

Charge for programming the car to accept a new key was £10 last time I had it done. Guy did it on the forecourt while I waited. Took a couple of minutes with the handheld computer plugged into the car.

JS
That is cheap John. Last time I had any tech2 work done (3 ish years ago) it cost me over £30.