DVLA Theory Test - helicopter
I happened to look at the DVLA website yesterday and being bored decided to have a bit of fun by taking all their practice theory tests , two each for cars, motorbikes, lorries and buses.

I have not looked at the Highway Code in anger for around eight years when helicopter junior was taking lessons.

Despite that, with a bit of common sense and guesswork I managed to pass seven of the eight tests and only failed the other( the first lorry theory test) by one point.

IMO the tests are much too easy but what do you think? How would you improve them ?
DVLA Theory Test - thallium81
To an experienced driver the tests should be easy. They are designed to make sure that new,inexperienced people understand the basic theories and mechanics of road and traffic, not to see who is eligible for MENSA.

Not read the Highway Code for eight years; what an admission.
Thallium - I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of drivers have not looked at a highway code since they passed their test.

The point is that though 50% of the questions were aimed at HGV and Coach drivers where the HC has less relevance.

I have no experience of HGV or Coach regulations , I still managed a pass in three out of their four tests and only failed by one point on the others.

Try them yourself and see how you fare having presumably read the HC more recently.

Let us know then ( honestly) how you get on and whether you consider them easy or not.

OK helicopter, I'll do that immediately after my tea.
Here we go.

car test1=35/35
car test 2=35/35
hgv1=33/35
hgv2=31/35
bus1=30/35
bus2=31/35

So I 'passed' however I withdraw my previous remark about MENSA and now agree with you helicopter that some of the questions are a bit too simple to be of much use to anybody. Incidentally the only reason I am hot on the HC and Roadcraft is because of my appalling driving record as a young man; 3 serious crashes before I was 21, numerous near misses. When I met my wife to be I decided it was time to grow up or she would soon be a widow. So far it has paid off; one collision since 1966 and I was stopped at traffic lights, although too close to the van in front and unable to get away from a JCB looming in my mirrors. So I am in no position to crow. Sorry, must go, I should have been somewhere else ten minutes ago.
DVLA Theory Test - meditek
All tests and exams these days are formulated so that anyone with more than 2 brain cells will pass! Don't believe me..check out A-levels.
DVLA Theory Test - Robin Reliant
Why should a driving theory test be difficult to pass? All you need is a basic knowledge of signs and markings and an idea of simple vehicle safety. Most of us here just had to answer a few Highway code questions and we've done alright. I don't see where a degree in rocket science is going to make people better drivers.

Exams for exams sake, the modern method of creating jobs for the boys with no end product.
Tom , I'm not advocating a degree in rocket science but IMO some of the multiple choice were ludicrously easy considering I had not done any specific revision.

Since the majority of youngsters are I believe at their highest risk of an accident in the first year after taking their test I would have thought that any tightening of the theory test which made people think about their driving more is to be commended.

There are I believe about 5 times more vehicles on the road than when we took our tests and the driving test should reflect that fact and make it more difficult to obtain the right to drive.

Thallium - Well done.

Incidentally I did learn a couple of useful bits of information about tram markings for when I next travel to Croydon.....
DVLA Theory Test - chris_w
They make money off this don't they? Think I paid £25 or £35 to take this 9 or so years ago (maybe less..) Took me all of 10 minutes to do answer the 35 questions, and you only had to get 25 right - and you didn't even need brain cells to answer these.

Hey ho, home again.

I suppose it is a nice point as to whether the test is too difficult or not. A rule of thumb might be if more than say 70% pass it's too easy and if more than say 50% fail it's too difficult. I have no idea what the pass rate is. But some of the anwwers to questions I did yesterday were so self explanatory that they seemed pointless as a test of road or traffic knowledge. Perhaps I'm getting old and cantankerous. Bah,humbug.
DVLA Theory Test - meditek
Two brain cells are required for a 'thought' even if it's only 'where's the lager?'.

If it is any consolation the american driving written test is of similar ilk. The actual driving bit never leaves the car park.

The reason the theory test is easy is because it is an easy subject. What exactly do you need to know? The signs and road markings are self explanatory. If you come across any you don't understand a quick look at the highway code and and the reasons for tham are obvious, ditto the rules of the road.

The reason people fail the test is because they don't bother to study them at all, not because it is A level stuff. The pupils I had who failed theory did so either for the above reason or because they had learning difficulties - a surprisingly high number among young males.

Let's not turn a straight forward subject into a university degree just because we don't need to do it anymore.
DVLA Theory Test - Welliesorter
Took me all of 10 minutes to do answer the
35 questions, and you only had to get 25 right -
and you didn't even need brain cells to answer these.

I'm sure the pass mark is higher than that now. No-one seems to have commented on the fact that you can quite legitimately buy a book containing all the questions and answers! I passed by reading this on the morning of the test. I'm not one of life's natural drivers but I passed with only one wrong.
DVLA Theory Test - chris_w
You're right, the pass mark went up to 30 out of 35 after one of the tabloids had a rant about how easy it was.

You would think it was easy to understand the roads and signs... come and drive round Slough one day, I'm sure half the people here don't have a) any idea about what road signs / road markings are or a basic understanding of driving or b) a license in a lot of cases... keeps you on your toes though.
When the theory test was introduced in July 96 the pass mark was 26. This was only ever meant to be a temporary mark until the DSA had monitered the success rate. After three months it was raised to 30, where it remains today.