I Have A Question Volume 72 - Dynamic Dave

*****This Volume is now closed. Please see Volume 73, which can be found here*****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31154

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 72. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - Adam {P}
Evening all. Bit of a tough one here but I would appreciate any comments.

Just so you know, I'm on an Orange Pay as you Go phone.

Last week, a number beginning 029 rang my mobile. He guy said he was from Orange and something about upgrading me. I have to admit, I was busy so I kind of fobbed him off and he said he'd ring back later.

Today, I was less busy so actually entertained the person calling from a number beginning 0870. She said she was from Orange and basically said they could upgrade me to a Motorola something or other (can't remember - pretty sure it would have been pointlessly modern) and lower call rates etc... Would I be interested? "Why not" said I and she continued.

Cheaper calls and something else under a pay monthly scheme would also be available to me so she took my name, asked for the post code and house number, and confirmed the address. Asked for a home phone number which I gave and then here is where it gets a little more weird.

I was asked am I in full time work to which I said "No - I'm at Uni". I then got asked which Uni - I told her. Now my guard was up as she asked which bank I was at. Again, I told her. She asked how long I'd banked with them which is when I really got suspicious. She wanted the name how it appeared on the card and the sort code which is when I basically ended the call saying how I never had my wallet with me. SHe said she'd ring back later and I forgot all about it.

Anyhoo, later on, the 0870 number rang twice, then the 029 number and when I got home I'm told they rang here as well.

As you can see, it's a little suspicious. It could be perfectly innocent I know and I also know that they'd need to withdraw money from my account under a pay monthly scheme but I'm not going to do anything like that over the phone. No way.

Does anyone have any thought? I know I was pretty silly giving the address out but anyone can find that out. As it stands, they don't have any information other than my name, address and the Uni I go to. Is that too much information? (Not that I can do anythign about it now)

Thanks for any thoughts you may have,
--
Adam
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - PoloGirl
You need to pass a credit check to get a pay monthly contract, and all those questions seem familiar from when I set mine up a couple of years ago.

They need the bank details to set up the direct debit from your account for the bill every month.

To me it all seems ok, but if you're in any doubt you're right not to have given them the details. You can always confirm with Orange customer service in the morning.

Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - mfarrow
I don't think any fraudster would be interested in which Uni you go to, but then again I don't know why Orange would either! I've never had any calls from Orange, or heard of anyone who's on PAYG (I can count 4 including myself) having calls from them. Surely they'd much rather rip you off with a PAYG phone than actually offering something that's going to save you money?

The first and last time I was targeted by fraudsters was when some American bought a digital camera with my card details for $350! That was a nasty shock, considering I've never given any details away except on secure sites with AV running and whatnot.

Back to phones, why would you want a new one anyway? They only crash! My mates LG decided it wanted to corrupt it's operating system and needed to be reflashed. "Is this a new software version going on there so it doesn't happen again?" he asked. "No" was the reply. "So it could happen again at any time then?". "Yes" the technician responded.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - Avant
Adam, you're absolutely right to be suspicious. People should never, EVER give their bank details over the phone to anyone unless they're 100% certain of whom they're talking to.

Identity theft is one of the biggest growth areas there is at the moment. If you're interested, get them to send you details of their offer in writing or go into a shop. You can never be too careful.
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - Welliesorter
At a complete guess, the call wasn't from Orange but from a retailer of Orange phones and contracts.

A few years ago, certain mobile phone shops were notorious for cold calling whole number ranges and claiming to be from Orange. They got to know the number ranges that Orange had been issuing a year or so before so they knew when to make the calls. I believe it's now illegal to do this sort of thing but I'd be surprised if it doesn't still go on.

I'd be amazed if someone making a cold call is offering you the best possible deal. Consider registering your mobile with the Telephone Preference Service at www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ to prevent further calls and have a look at www.reestitmutton.co.uk for pointers to some of the best deals available. The site isn't being updated as frequently as it used to be, but it tends to be the same retailers that offer the best deals.

Generally speaking, you can save money by taking advantage of the fact that the mobile networks often pay retailers silly commissions for introducing new customers. In some cases, the retailers are willing to share these with new customers in the form of a discount or (more likely) cashback. If you play the system for all it's worth, and take out a new contract whenever yours has reached its minumum term, you'll usually get something that works out cheaper than pay-as-you-go. The pitfalls are explained in quite a lot of detail on that web site.

It's almost certainly those same commissions that are causing the caller to be so persistent.
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - L'escargot
<< Consider registering your mobile with the
Telephone Preference Service at www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ to prevent further calls.....

Registering with TPS only reduces the number of cold calls. It doesn't eliminate them completely. Still, I suppose that it's a step in the right direction.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - Adam {P}
Thanks everyone for all of your replies. I'm erring on the side of beliving they are legit but don't worry - I'm not going to entertain them. As Mike says, I don't care to be honest about a new phone. They used to interest me and I used to blow a load of cash on getting the latest one. However, now I see them as a phone. As long as it can make and recieve calls, I'm happy!

I may stop into an Orange shop and check if these calls are authentic. Not that it would matter to me anymore.

Again, thanks for your help. As always, you've been very helpful.

Cheers,
--
Adam
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - Bromptonaut
SWMBO and our spare mobile are both on Orange PAYG and have never been called by Orange. Come to that I've been on an Orange pay monthly tariff for onks and I have not either.

029 codes are South Wales, unless they've moved Orange's own CSU sites are Darlington and Bristol.
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - Stuartli
Normally the only time you would give your credit card details over the telephone is when you have called the business or service involved and wish to make a purchase; you therefore are aware of who you are dealing with.

Until quite recently the credit card payment slip would carry the words "Cardholder not present", but I believe there has been a tightening up of this facility with retailers now being more responsible for fraudulant purchases following the introduction in the UK of Chip and Pin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Was it an attempt at fraud or not? - SpamCan61 {P}
I regsitered with TPS about two years ago, and cold calls have dropped from half a dozen or more a week to one a month. Well worth doing IMHO.
Cleaning upvc windows - adverse camber
Our house has some upvc double glazed windows and some old wooden sash windows. I can paint the sashes and they look nice and white. The upvc ones are a dirty gray colour though.

Anyone got a good method of sprucing up the upvc ? I was wondering about t-cut or something ?

thanks

Mark
Cleaning upvc windows - Robin
My window cleaner suggested a bit of Jif (or Cif as it is now known)

I have seen stuff in B&Q specially designed for cleaning uPVC but have forgotten what it is called!

So far, I've not tried either so cannot recommend.

Cleaning upvc windows - The Lawman
I think you can buy special paint for renovating UPVC.
Cleaning upvc windows - PhilW
I tried a bit of Mer car polish on the front windows when I was cleaning the car and it brought the UPVC back to new - guess it must be slightly abrasive? What's more they have stayed clean this winter - water runs off and seems to prevent discolouration - now only the side and back and upstairs windows to do!!
Cleaning upvc windows - Mapmaker
Orange peel cleaner is recommended for regular use on uPVC.

It all goes to show that the claim by double glazing salesmen that you will 'never have to have your windows painted again' is as much a load of tosh as any other claim they may have.

[interjetion to moan about the double glazed wooden sash windows occupying some of thewindows in my house. If paint fails & putty cracks on a wooden window, you can cut out the putty with an angle grinder & reputty. [My] Double glazed wooden windows were assembled on a jig with copious quantities of silicone sealant. When that fails, there is no way of cutting it out & replacing it. So the window must rot. So they get to sell you some more in 10 years time... Anybody have a solution to this problem?]
Cleaning upvc windows - patently
Orange peel cleaner is recommended for regular use on uPVC.

Gosh. I've never bothered cleaning my orange peel before. I'm impressed.

Don't talk to me about windows. The workmen are in at the moment, ripping them all out and replacing them with nice shiny new ones. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the weeks of trial by double glazing salesmen that we had to endure in order to place an order.
Cleaning upvc windows - frostbite
"I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the weeks of trial by double glazing salesmen"

It can get even better than that - when we had our double glazing installed (by Zenith), their aggravating sales centre continued to call for about three months, trying to sell us double glazing.

Made me quite nervous about the expected lifetime of the product!
Divorce joint mortgage contributions - just a bloke
Hi

I am in the midst of a divorce. I am buying my soon to be ex-wife out of the house.
Currently there is a joint mortgage on the property. My wife has made no contributions to the maintenance of the mortgage since she left the marital home.

So far she is being a little difficult about paying the "back" money.

Do the BR's think I have case for taking her to the Small Claims Court?

:-) JaB

Divorce joint mortgage contributions - Altea Ego
Solicitor - get one - NOW.
I have a solicitor that is handling the divorce.
We have ( on the advice of my solicitor), as private individuals agreed a settlement figure for her half of the house.

As of April she is paying her half of the mortgage.
I don't want to delay the transfer of equity any more than I have to.
I have everything in place, the only outstanding issue is the "back money".

Any additional solicitor involvemnet at this stage will...

1) Delay the transfer of equity, something I cannot afford to do.
2) result in more costs for me.
3) Almost certainly result in her pulling out of the agreement.

The sum involved is not huge in the scheme of things but it is mine, if I can shrug and say have it your way and then stand a good chance of getting back via the SCC then I will.
If I don't then I may negotiate further or I may swallow.

JaB
Forget it, it aint worth the hastle. Plus it will stir up all the things yo dont want to happen, and may prompt her to try and come back and bite you later.

You really dont need the extra agro at this time.
Divorce joint mortgage contributions - Chas{P}
jab

I am going through the same painful process at the moment and today was meant to be my 8th wedding anniversary.

As RF says you could persue the shortfall in her half of the mortgage payments but, unless it's a huge amount, it's not worth it.

Best thing to do is fairly square everything up financially as amicably as possible and move on.

Hope it all works out.
Divorce joint mortgage contributions - NowWheels
Currently there is a joint mortgage on the property. My wife
has made no contributions to the maintenance of the mortgage since
she left the marital home.
So far she is being a little difficult about paying the
"back" money.

Presumably she reckons that since you have sole occupancy, it's only fair that you pay the mortgage in full?
"Presumably she reckons that since you have sole occupancy, it's only fair that you pay the mortgage in full?"

He could claim that as the Mortgage is in joint names he is A: maintaining her financial interest in the investment B: fullfilling her financial liabilities as per the mortgage.

But then if I was her, I would check if property prices were going up or down in that area, and if they were going down insist my share of the house is half the value *at the time I stopped paying the mortgage* not the actual value at time of settlement.

NAsty, thats why i say - keep it very very amicable if possible.
@Charles..
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope it all gets sorted for you.

@NW...
It's not my fault she moved out leaving me paying a mortage that required both our incomes to get in the 1st place.
As long as she is joint mortgage holder she has a legal responsibility towards it's maintenance. If I can't afford to maintain the mortgage and the worst happens BOTH our finacial records are marred.
I am also fairly sure that were I, as a man, claiming that "she has sole occupancy it's only fair she should pay it all", you would be condenming me vociferously.

@RF...
I don't actually disagree with you , call it intellectual curiosity.

JaB
Divorce joint mortgage contributions - The Lawman
The solution surely is to offset her missing payments from the sum you have in principle agreed to pay her?

As with the majority of the above posts, i wouldn't do it though if it is going to foul up the deal and its not very much.
Divorce joint mortgage contributions - NowWheels
It's not my fault she moved out leaving me paying a
mortage that required both our incomes to get in the 1st place.

JAB, sorry if it looked I was trying to get at you. I just wanted to point out that there is another way of looking at this one.

If you take this to the small claims court, I'd guess they'd bat it back to the family court to be considered as part of the overall divorce settlement, along with the pension pots, contributions to household bills, furniture, teaspoons etc. Wouldn't it be better to see if you can reach agreement on it?
I am also fairly sure that were I, as a man,
claiming that "she has sole occupancy it's only fair she should
pay it all", you would be condenming me vociferously.

Definitely not: when friends and family divorce, I try to encourage them to cut a deal and accept that neither side is going to get everything they want. I've seen too many folks make themselves miserable through long court battles.

It sounds to me that you and your ex have done well in reaching an agreed settlement so far, and that RF is right to say it's a good idea not to increase the aggro. But whatever you do, good luck!
Rover Quiz! - malteser
Well, it had to be. Our quiz master is ever topical in his questions. He has asked for the make & model of three cars. Two, the Rover 2000 and the Rover P4 are easy enough, but the third, whilst clearly a Rover and pre-war is hard to be precise about. Is it a Rover 12, 14, 16, 20 or what? The registration number VO5544, would indicate a registration date of 1933 (I had a 1933 Ford Tudor saloon, VO 9499, as my very first car in the mid 50s and that was 1933.
The link following (if you can be kind enough to help) will take you to the image of the car hosted on my web space of my ISP.
A definitive answer would be jolly helpful!

www.terra.es/personal8/952893768/40.jpg
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Rover Quiz! - mfarrow
I was going to try and cheat and look it up at

www.rac.co.uk/myrac or
www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk

But I can't find it, besides which it probably wouldn't tell me the model from that far back! FWIW your Ford Tudor's still around though.
Rover Quiz! - PhilW
Any good?
www.rover.org.nz/gallery/vintage/pages/rov1935_jpg...m
Rover Quiz! - PhilW
This would seem to be better!!
www.roverclub.se/r1435e.html

It's the exact car!!
Rover 14 Sport Saloon 1936
Rover Quiz! - malteser
Thanks very much PhilW.
I spent ages googling without finding that one!
--
Mileage allowance - BobbyG
For the last 9 months I have been on secondment with my employer doing project work at various sites. I obtain 30p a mile over and above my normal daily commute to my normal place of work.

Someone has told me that the Inland Revenue allow you to be paid up to a certain amount per mile, and if you get less than this you can actually claim the difference from Revenue.

This sounds too good to be true, is it? And if so, what documentation evidence would I need to produce?
Mileage allowance - Duchess
It's not too good to be true.

The Inland Revenue allows up to 40p a mile for business travel (assuming you are using your own car and receive no other payment from your employer). If your employer pays you less, you can claim the excess on your tax return.

As far as I know, the only document you need to have is a record of your mileage travelled and some evidence that your employer pays less (an expenses payment advice, for example).

Mileage allowance - mare
Allowances are something like 40p for the first 10,000 miles, and 25p thereafter. So you could claim tax back on 10p x miles travelled up to 10,000 miles.

Check out the IR website.

Mileage allowance - Pugugly {P}
Oh dear I'm paying myself too much. 49.2p per mile....
Mileage allowance - Wilco {P}
Assuming its your own car, this is what you need -

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim31330...m
Mileage allowance - BobbyG
Thanks for those replies folks. Having read the link I can see why some people feel the need to employ accountants just to understand all the rules!
Mileage allowance - Pugugly {P}
I married one - so much easier and tax effective !
Mileage allowance - helicopter
I fathered one - the trouble is he is hinting about schemes involving handing over all my money , property etc to him to avoid Gordons swingeing inheritance taxes. I just wonder how long it would take after that for the brake pipes to be cut......
Mileage allowance - RichardW
"I just wonder how long it would take after that for the brake pipes to be cut...... "

7 years???

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Mileage allowance - helicopter
LOL - Sounds about right Richard.

I've told him either I've figured out a way to take it with me or I'll spend it all on wine women and song and then fritter away the rest before I die.

Being serious though he works for one of the big four this is a matter which is seriously excercising his and my mind at the moment, inheritance tax is a very pertinent matter to anyone whose estate is worth more than £265,000 and that includes most house owners these days, certainly in the South.
Mileage allowance - commerdriver
I fathered one - the trouble is he is hinting about
schemes involving handing over all my money.

That's what children do best!
Mileage allowance - Orson {P}
As Churchill said: "Saving is a splendid idea - and even better when your parents have done it for you."

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Northen Cyprus. - Pugugly {P}
Planning a holiday there. What's the best form of money to take. Everybody says take Sterling and a handful of Turkish Lira. Any ideas ?
I'm desperate! - malteser
Just the last two to find on our quiz ......................help!
The first is a very modern building, I think in Spain, as the other two in the series were the Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao and the KIO towers in Madrid.
The second is a familiar face who comes in the category of Doctor/Nurse (others included Dr. Crippen & Edith Cavell)
If anyone can be bothered ! the links go, as usual to my webspace on my ISP.

1. tinyurl.com/c398x
2.tinyurl.com/4yvzl
--
I'm desperate! - Alfafan {P}
Roger

Can't be sure, but the building may be a new marine museum in Hull. Never been there, but the photo looks familiar.

Can't help with beardy though.
I'm desperate! - malteser
Alfafan
Thanks for the suggestion, but it turns out to be much nearer home than Hull. (Only 90 km. east on the notorious N340, now remamed the A7)!
It is the Palacio de Ferias y Congresos de Málaga, (Municipal Fair & Conference Centre)
I can't count the number of googling hours I spent to find it! Sad I know.
The hairy "Doctor" still eludes me & Google!
--
Suffolk Punch refuses to start - mfarrow
Hi

I was almost tempted to pop this in technical being as it's an engine, but then again it's not reall a car...

We have a 35 year old Suffolk Punch lawnmower that refuses to start. It will sometimes go, but then clonk out after a short while. Therefore it's obvious petrol's getting through fine and there's a spark, but what's causing it to stall and not start again? It's been used twice so far this year so has fresh-ish petrol (from a can). Any ideas? Compression's OK which is a start I suppose.

If anyone knows a solution I'd be greatful, before I start tinkering with the carb.

BTW there are now ECU fault codes recorded and the MAP, CPS, and Lambda sensors are all functioning perfectly :-P

--------------
Mike Farrow
Suffolk Punch refuses to start - Cardew(USA)

The G forces when cornering causing fuel starvation?

Isn't there a copper mesh fuel filter - could that be partially blocked? Or the jets blocked. Or ventilation in petrol cap blocked.

If they are ok I would try some new petrol.
Suffolk Punch refuses to start - Garethj
Isn't there a copper mesh fuel filter - could that be partially blocked? Or the jets blocked. Or ventilation in petrol cap blocked.

Agree with all these, can you put a clear fuel filter in the line to see it's getting fuel all the time?
Suffolk Punch refuses to start - John R @ home {P}
I don't have a lawn so I'm not the best qualified person to comment...

but it being 35 years old, it may not 'like' un-leaded petrol. I'm guessing it would have been designed to run on 2 or 3 star so the timing (is it a 4 stroke?) may need adjusting to cope with modern fules.

Just a thought.
Regards,

John R @ Home
Suffolk Punch refuses to start - L'escargot
Is the air inlet filter clogged?
Is the choke butterfly permanently in (or vibrating back into) the "choked" position?
Is the speed governing mechanism connected/working correctly?
--
Suffolk Punch refuses to start - helicopter
Could be the points need re-setting.
Problem With Central Heating Boiler - OAP

We have a Combination Type Boiler.

On the front of the boiler there is a gauge with 'hand' which, ideally, should point at around the ten o'clock position. Occasionally we have to top it up by briefly releasing a stop tap.

Last November the boiler cut out because we had overlooked topping-up the system. We topped-up, pressed the re-set button and were 'back in business'.

More recently, we topped-up but over-filled the system. As a result, the excess ran out via the overflow pipe and, unfortunately, has been dripping ever since....almost as if we have created a non-stop siphon!

Please can anyone tell us why this is happening and how we can stop it?

Many thanks.
Problem With Central Heating Boiler - Stargazer {P}
Most (All?) combi systems are pressurized with mains water via a double check valve and stop valve.

Gradual loss of pressure means you have a very small leak somewhere which may not be all that significant if it is every few months or so that you need to top up the system. Until you forget and the boiler cuts out due to low pressure. If you are topping up more than once a month then the leak should be located using a pressure test (drain system and test by pressurizing with air).

NB pressure top up should be done cold, and check that the pressure does not exceed approx 2.5bar when hot. If it does then the expansion chamber may be undersized.

Once you overfill, the pressure rises when the boiler warms up and the pressure rises over 3bar and the safety valve opens to reduce pressure. Drain some water and then refill more carefully this time. If the safety valve stays dripping then there is a risk that it is not sealing properly due to crud on the sealing surface.
This will then continue to leak until the safety valve is cleaned.

StarGazer
Problem With Central Heating Boiler - Stargazer {P}
OAP

Here is a very useful FAQ on how sealed system CH works

www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

Cheers

StarGazer
Problem With Central Heating Boiler - Onetap
When the water is heated it expands. The expansion is accomodated by compressing the air in an expansion vessel. If the pressure gets too high, the safety/pressure relief valve opens and discharges some of the water, limiting the system pressure to a safe value. Most safety valves operate at around 3.5 bar, I think.

If you overfilled it, then the pressure would have been too high when the system was hot. The safety valve released some water. It should then close again, but sometimes they don't. You can sometimes get them to seal by turning red knob on the valve and 'snapping' it shut, trying to wash out the debris under the seat. If that doesn't work, you need to get the safety valve replaced. If it's dripping, the build-up of lime-scale can cement the valve shut.

Also, the air charge in the expansion vessel diminishes over time and it should be checked and re-charged with a tyre pump occasionally. If the air charge is lost, the safety valve will operate frequently and the system pressure, when cold, will drop.

Thank-you both for such helpful replies.

Obviously I need to take some action and will initially ask for help from a friend who is multi-talented (including some plumbing skills).

If there is more to it than adjustments/removing corrosion etc and I find it necessary to seek professional help, I will have to choose between an authorised installer or someone from the Manufacturers.

The former is a good worker when it comes to putting the system in place but does not inspire confidence when dealing with breakdowns. The latter comes at £170 (yes £170!) calling-out charge but there may be a limit to what he is prepared to do (rather like the AA man at the roadside)and I would have to turn to the installer as well!

Any thoughts on this?
It is entirely dependent on the level of the friend's plumbing skills. You can usually download the Installation and Maintenance manual from the boiler manufacturer's website; the installer should have left a paper copy with you. Reading this and examining the boiler should give the friend enough information to decide whether he is capable of the job. If not, ring around.

You'd need to isolate the gas and electric supplies and drain the boiler (possibly also the heating system, unless there's isolating valves. The safety valve usually has two 15mm compression fittings. I'd buy a replacement, probably £20ish. They're pre-set, you can't dismantle them.

Check and top-up the expanion vessel whilst the boiler is drained, same as for a car tyre. Add inhibitor, re-fill and bleed the air out.
Thank-you, afm, for your further comments.

At one stage, the system was for a few days, losing about two gallons per 24 hours via the overflow pipe and the needle went down to it's lowest point.

This has now slowed down to about one gallon per 24 hours and the interesting thing is that the needle is hovering around the nine o'clock position...(not far from it's recommended ideal position) and we are not having to do any topping-up!

Does this narrow down the problem and it's cure to a particular component and if so please can you tell us which action you would take first in the hope that 'step one' would effect a cure. In medical terms, we don't want to be told that we need a major operation when, in fact, a minor one would get us out of trouble...and expense.

We are very grateful for your advice and for this site's excellent facility...long live HJ!!

"... now slowed down to about one gallon per 24 hours and ..... we are not having to do any topping-up!"???

If the (sealed?) system is losing water, you'll have to keep topping it up to maintain the pressure. I'd assume the gallon a day is an estimate. Continual topping-up is bad for the system and should only be used as a stop-gap measure; it dilutes the corrosion inhibitors and introduces dissolved oxygen and limescale in the water. You need to get the leak fixed, wherever it is, or you find your radiators start leaking.

The safety valve discharge pipe will terminate outside. If there's water being discharged from this pipe, then I'd replace the safety valve, as above. You could fix a plastic food bag over the pipe end with a rubber band to verify that it is this. DO NOT block the pipe. If it's not the safety valve, you need to find and fix the leak. It could be a leaking radiator valve gland, a leaking boiler heat exchanger, etc., etc..
Why is diesel so expensive? - David Horn
Why is diesel so expensive compared to petrol, when (if A Level chemistry serves me correctly) it's significantly less refined?
Why is diesel so expensive? - Imagos
Because it is taxed more.
Why is diesel so expensive? - Bromptonaut
According to Customs website the tax difference is not great, though complicated by sulpher content. More to do with supply and demand as diesel and heating oil are the same fraction and there's a heavy demand for oil in the US winter.

May be some market pricing/loss leader issues with UK supermarkets being more willing to take a loss on petrol as the headline product.
Viewing posts - drbe
Is there a way to show only new posts? Every time I log in I have to wade through piles of posts that I have already seen.

My system is set up to show a new post, but I have to wade down 50, 60 or more posts to get to the new stuff.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Don
Viewing posts - OAP
Don...I know the feeling!

I have two ways of being more selective.

If there is a thread in which I have a particular interest, I add it to Favourites/Bookmarks so that I can go to it immediately without having to wade through pages of threads looking for that item. Then, I hit the 'end' key to take me to the bottom of the replies and then using the 'up' arrow go up to where I left off reading last time.

For threads of more general interest, I select from the index and then use 'end' key as above or use the space bar which takes me down a screen-full at a time to where I left off.

On occasions I have wished that HJ's system would number each post (as well as indicating the total number of replies at the top of the thread) so that one could quickly go the point where one left off. Perhaps the Moderators will spot this and comment.

Hope this helps.
Viewing posts - Dynamic Dave
Any suggestions gratefully received.

If using Internet Explorer, press the Ctrl key and the letter F (alternately goto edit at the top of the page and select 'Find on this page') and then enter the word new into the Find box and then press the 'Find Next' button. Keep pressing until you find the word "new" just left of the date. Repeat to find the next new post.

It's what I tend to do, but it can work against you when someone uses the word "new" in the subject header.
Viewing posts - BazzaBear {P}
I don't get it.
Surely the forum is displayed in reverse posting order according to when the last post was made in each thread? So all the new threads will already be at the top of the page?
Viewing posts - drbe
I don't get it.
Surely the forum is displayed in reverse posting order according to
when the last post was made in each thread? So all
the new threads will already be at the top of the
page?

Not in my case, so how do you get it to do that?
Viewing posts - mfarrow
You can of course change the view of threads in the Forum Options tab of My Settings so it displays posts threaded rather than flat. Less scrolling but you'll have to go through all of them manually. The "view flat"/"view threaded" option at the top of each thread gives the same thing which you may find useful.
--------------
Mike Farrow
Entering bank account details on-line - Caveman
I'm asking this quesion on behalf of a friend of mine.

How secure would it be if someone were to transfer money to a bank account via an on-line method by just supplying their account number, sort code and account holders name? Having looked into this briefly for my friend, the only problem that I can see is that when you go to the money transfer page of the site it doesn't come up as a secure part of the site. She has emailed the sites owner, and they assure her that it is safe as the account number, sort code and account holders name wouldn't be enough information for a third party lowlife to obtain money from her account should the lowlife try and contact her bank armed with those details. The bank would also ask extra questions, such as date of birth, a password, and such like. The sites owner went on to say that transfering money into someone elses account is a lot easier than trying to withdraw it apparantly.
Entering bank account details on-line - frostbite
A secure site would be desirable but I confess I have sent and received these details by email for making transfers.

After all, if you give someone a cheque it has all that information on it.
Entering bank account details on-line - mfarrow
After all, if you give someone a cheque it has all
that information on it.

Very true frostbite, and it annoys me when people refuse to give details, particularly on ebay, on the grounds that I could use this information to my advantage. I ask you how?! Cheques are slow, so slow.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Building regs & toilets - Mapmaker
I cannot face wisiting the ODPM's site (smarmy so-and-so that he is), so does anybody happen to know:

1. If the 'loo has an integral overflow (whereby any excess water flows into the top of the syphon & into the pan), I presume it is OK not to put in a traditional overflow.

2. I thought 'silent' fill cisterns were outlawed a year or few ago - on the grounds of the infinitesimal risk of back flow. Yet the cistern I bought from the local plumber's merchant has one of these 'handy' silencers. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Oh yes, and do regs now require a shut-off valve either side of a radiator. (I don't mean the regulator/TRV and the lockshield/balance valve, but an additional in-line valve.)
Building regs & toilets - Ex-Moderator
1) Yes.

2) don't know

shut-off valve - no, although life will be a lot easier if you put a shut off valve one side and a temperature valve on the other which can be locked irrespective of temperature in case you ever wish to remove a single radiator without draining the whole system.
Building regs & toilets - L'escargot
I think the thing that you are not allowed to have is a solid pipe (which has an outlet that is lower than the normal level of the water in the cistern) attached to the outlet of the ballcock. "Silent" ballcocks have an optional restrictor in the inlet and a nylon mesh bag on the outlet.
--
Thanks, both. Is there any problem with putting an old-fashioned radiator onto a modern system? You know, the sort of chunky radiator that gave us chilblains at school when we warmed our frosted fingers on them, that are normally attached to old-fashioned convection-based (?) rather than modern pumped systems, which had 4(?) inch diameter piping.

So what are the likely issues? And am I better off sticking to 15mm feed pipe, using an ordinary 1/2 inch standard valve and a suitable bush (1/2 to 3/4 - or whatever it takes), or should I have a 22mm feed pipe and then a 3/4 inch valve?

Thanks, as ever.
I think it rather depends what you mean by "old-fashioned".

If you mean the style, then no issue. If you mean the design, probably no issue. And if you mean the quality/condition, then ptentially an issue.

My house has something around 38 radiators in total. About half of those are the big heavy old radiators which you could stand on - they're called hospital radiators - of these about half are the original cast iron ones and about half look exactly the same but are not cast iron and are new. The other half of the radiators are modern slimline radiators.

It was a balancing "challenge" - and I meand challenge !!, but otherwise there was no issue.

I don't see why there would be, presuming that the radiator is in good order and not gummed up, and that there is a connection solution for the differing pipesizes and threads.

I couldn't answer the pipe/valve size issue more specfically than to say that you should be worrying about balancing. Balancing is a function of flow rate, temperature loss/radiation, and ambient conditions - it ain't easy at the best of times, and differing pipes, valves and radiators are not going to simplify things.
Building regs & toilets - Altea Ego
As always - Mark has it right. Your big hospital radiator is going to cause all sorts of flow issues to the system.

Assuming you manage to get all the right fittings to plumb it in, and assuming its the only one in the system, I would bleed it then shut the lock valve right down then open it a tad. Check the heat output (and therefore flow) of the other rads. Go back to your biggie and open it a bit more - go back check the other rads, keep doing this till you have the balance of good flow throught the normal rads and sufficient output from the biggie, if you go too far you can back it down to the last known good setting.
THe easiest way to balance differing radiators with different capabilities and flows is by measuring the temperature drop between entering and exiting the radiator. You should then be comparing that drop size.
Building regs & toilets - Onetap
1. Traditional WC cistern overflow, not required.

?Do regs now require a shut-off valve either side of a radiator??
No, water outlets (taps, showers, etc..) should have servicing valves; I think they are a requirement under the Water Bylaws, but it?s good practice to fit them. They?re not required in heating systems and just introduce another component that may fail or leak.

Re balancing see the recommended procedure at;

www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

Personally, I think this is too pedantic for most houses. Most domestic 3-bed semi type properties can be adequately balanced by tweaking down the lock-shield valves on the radiators that heat up fastest. The aim is to increase their hydraulic resistance and thereby divert more flow to the least favoured rads, which heat up more slowly. Houses with 38 radiators probably would require a more painstaking approach.

Search the archives at the UK-DIY forum
groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y
for previous discussions about silenced float valves. The immersed solid fill tubes are verboten, I think the ones offered now have a plastic hose that would collapse under negative pressure and stop back-siphonage.

I'd pipe the cast-iron rad in 15mm copper with 1/2" lock-shield and TRV, assuming it's the usual 2-pipe system. You'd only have to go to 22mm pipe & 3/4" valves if it's huge. The rad will have a low hydraulic resistance so you need to screw the lock-shield valve down a lot, to make the resistance & flow comparable to the pressed steel rads.
Building regs & toilets - wemyss
As already stated a raditor is the same whether its cast iron or pressed steel. Its the surface area which counts and this is simply the total surface area.
Two main types. Hospital which is the solid sections and Classic which is the fancy fluted type which must be a devil to paint.
Biggest job is getting the fixings to the wall as they are very heavy although some have feet which make it easy.
Slower to heat up but obviously longer to cool down.
Without seeing your system its difficult to comment on your connections but assuming you have a two pipe pumped system which is the common method. This can be identified by seeing the two connections from your rad feeding back into separate pipes.
A one pipe pumped system uses the same pipe to feed back into which means that only the pipework is pumped and the radiator is actually working by gravity.
Sounds odd but if you think about its obvious as the circ pump doesnt have a path through the rad.
If its two pipe it will work however you do it but I would by choice use threaded valves and then convert to copper by an adaptor. Mainly for asthetic reasons and also they are much stronger. Check your rad for blockages with an hosepipe and perhaps even use some hot water poured in to check each section is clear and gets warm. Sounds Heath Robinson but it is just possible to have a couple of sections blocked.
Have never heard of an integral overflows available in this country as you describe but have seen them abroad.
The regs yeas ago used to state "overflows should be placed in an area of nuisance" Obviously so that the property owner would have to get it fixed and avoiding wastage of water.
At one time before privatisation Water Board officials would knock on your door telling you to get it fixed.
They also used to do a night survey with listening gear to listen for running water on their supply lines to property.
Regarding silent flow ballvalves. Brass ballvalves used to have a very fine thread to take a silencer pipe but were banned at least 20 years ago. There must be no possibilty of siphonage taking place.
I,ve never heard of valves being a requirement either side of a radiator as it can be isolated by its own rad valves.
Its always a good idea though to fit a few screwdriver operated valves on a heating system to isolate sections for when you have to drain down for any reason with a draincock placed in strategic positions.
Building regs & toilets - Stargazer {P}
Alvin, Integral overflows are now the most common...just fitted a w.c. with push button dual flush and integral overflow all in one central unit mounted in the cistern.

As for quiet filling, try a fluid master...wincoming water for the cistern passes a mesh filter then a valve andthen flows back to the base of a vertical tube where the water enters the cistern below water level. A float which slides vertically on a runner moves up with water level and closes the valve.

StarGazer
alvinStargazer. Interesting that they are now common practice and prompted me to drag out my Severn Trent bylaws dated (and I just love this old prose) The COMMON SEAL OF THE SEVERN TRENT WATER AUTHORITY was hereunto affixed in the presence of: I C Sinclair Authority Secretary and Solicitor. Dated 13th day of March one thousand nine hundred and eighty seven.
"warning pipe" means an overflow pipe so fixed so that its outlet whether inside or outside the building is in a conspicuous position where the discharge of water can be readily seen"
So if these bylaws are the ones in force today I suppose the integral ones are an acceptable way of doing it.
Oh dear..times change...
alvin

I'm glad to say that 'old fashioned' does not mean wrecked, any more than 'bangernomics' means that your car is about to break down around the next corner :)

Thanks, all, for the informative advice (as usual). Particularly valuable was pointing out the different hydraulic resistance, thanks, afm, I thought there'd be an issue, if not an insoluble problem. It sounds as though a big cast iron radiator is ideal (they seem to have a huge btu/hr rating compared to modern rads), as the room is an extension with lots of outside walls and never gets properly warm, even with the lockshield right open. With my dozen or so rads in a mid-terrace house I don't think that the balancing act will be too difficult.

So far as 'warning pipes' go, my newish combi boiler turned out to have its overflow fed straight into the wall(!). As the house predates cavity walls, thank heaven that it never came into use before I discovered it! The plumber's recommendation was to divert the overflow so that it landed on the kitchen terracotta floor, which would be perfect. He said the idea of an overflow pipe is that its overflowing should irritate you enough to make you want to do something about it.

WOA there mappy

"It sounds as though a big cast iron radiator is ideal (they seem to have a huge btu/hr rating compared to modern"

Far from it. I assumed it was for style reasons. A modern pressed steel double radiator with fins and convector plates will throw out a huge amount more BTU's than the equivalent sized old cast iron thing.
Twin convector Radiator 600mm high, 1.2 metres long 7,5000 btus

Old hospital radiators about 180 btus per flute
opps 7,500 DOH
Building regs & toilets - Stargazer {P}
Mapmaker,

The overflow for a cistern or header tank must be visible to act as a warning, this is simply nuisance value of dripping water as your plumber says. BUT there are two types of overflow from a modern boiler, a safety release which can release water (could be hot) in the case of high pressure. As above this should be an unusual situation....but see earlier in the thread by OAP.

The second type of overflow from a modern condensing boiler is a condensate drain which must be connected to drain somewhere safe, this is a mildly acidic liquid and should not be allowed to drip on the floor. The condensate drain with be active almost all the time and not only when an unusual fault occurs.

btw, using old /second hand radiators, salvage yards usually pressure test them. If you are connecting to a modern pressurized primary system it is worth checking them upto at least 3 bar.

StarGazer
Building regs & toilets - henry k
Alvin, Integral overflows are now the most common...just fitted a w.c.
with push button dual flush and integral overflow all in one
central unit mounted in the cistern.

Another device is available, that I fitted in a flat some years ago, which takes the conventional overflow into the soil pipe behind the pan. It is a valve made of transparent plastic so you can see any water passing through it. Obviously a hole has to be drilled in the soil pipe to fit it but it avoids all the problems of drilling another hole in the wall.
I was delighted to find the device as the flat had the pipe going into the soil pipe BUT no valve and the pipe was not sealed. Prior to my efforts the bathroom was affected every time any toilet attached to the same stack was used.
It was a flat rented to students and I guess none had ever complained to the landlady.
health and safety question - wd 40
I?m trying to keep this vague, and would appreciate pointers to any other sources of information

An employee raised an accident form (minor bruising) opening a car park gate. He has been advised, until the gate is examined/repaired, to either park elsewhere, or wait till someone more senior/competent has opened the gate

I believe that he is continuing to open the gate ? what are the implications ?

health and safety question - Altea Ego
Implications? For whom, the employer or the employee?

Excluding any implications from the original incident then my thoughts based on my H&S training.

Has the employee concerned been told - in writing - not to operate the gate him/herself? If not in writing then it can be assumed that they have not been told.
Has the issue been noted in the accident book / H&S record book.

If both the above have happened then the employee is in breach of a H&S violation, and can be subject to appropriate disciplinary procedures (written warning probably)

However the employer now has an obligation to note and mitigate the safety exposure to others (by informing other staff, note on gate, lock gate etc etc) or will be liable to a claim from others about a known safety exposure.
health and safety question - wd 40
Has the employee concerned been told - in writing - not
to operate the gate him/herself? If not in writing then it
can be assumed that they have not been told.

by email, yes
Has the issue been noted in the accident book / H&S
record book.

yes
If both the above have happened then the employee is in
breach of a H&S violation, and can be subject to appropriate
disciplinary procedures (written warning probably)
However the employer now has an obligation to note and mitigate
the safety exposure to others (by informing other staff, note on
gate, lock gate etc etc) or will be liable to a
claim from others about a known safety exposure.

all staff have been advised not that the gate should only be opened by a member of management (!)
Then employer is covered, as long as the problem is rectified (not just mitigated) in a suitable period of time.

Troubles me that Management are not seen as an exposure to a H&S risk ;-) But hey then again - management is expendable.
health and safety question - Ex-Moderator
>>Then employer is covered, as long as the problem is rectified (not just mitigated) in a suitable period of time.

Not neccessarily so. It may well be that physical prevention would be approriate not simply instructions.

Being told not to do so, even if it would be in breach of procedure may be insufficient.

I would suggest that it is locked so that only management *can* open it and that others are physically prevented from doing so.

I'd also suggest that you ensure your mgmt team has access to expert resrouce and advice for exactly situations like this. They are too serious/expensive to guess.
health and safety question - mfarrow
Where I work on Saturday's we have to sign forms of "safe system of work" for near enough any task we have to do. These documents list recommended procedures and practices for most things and help cover the company in case the guidelines and rules are not being followed when an accident occurs.

I can't remember speifics 'cos I've never been interested enough to read one before signing it.

But you get the idea. If you can draw one of these up for the operation of the gate so that this can operate it in a way that won't bruise him again, this is a step in the right direction. You are never going to eliminate all risks, but control them you might.

--------------
Mike Farrow
health and safety question - Mapmaker
Is the scenario actually that the employee opened an ordinary gate such as he would have at home. Unbelievably, he managed to injure himself - we can all do silly things. Some donkey has then filled out the accident book. Another donkey has said that until it has been reviewed by management that particular employee should not open the gate. If this is the case, then what is wrong is the company procedures. It is an accident of the sort that just happens no matter what you do.
health and safety question - mfarrow
what is wrong is the company procedures.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with procedure, just that this chap has highlighted an H&S issue with the gate that would cause some employees to be on the phone to Claims Direct given half the chance. A procedure form signed by all employees would protect the employers back and allow all employees to operate the gate without needed 'management' there who surely have better things to do with their time.
It is an accident of the sort that just happens
no matter what you do.

But they all have to be recorded for the Claims Direct reason noted above. Same where I work, not an accident or near miss should go by without it being reported.

--------------
Mike Farrow
health and safety question - madux
Is this a gate as in 'garden gate', or a gate on some sort of specialised machine? I just can't see how there could be 'somebody more competent' in opening a gate!
Perhaps the manamgement have been on the Gate (opening part 1, shutting part 2) course?