Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Liberace
Says it all really. If something irritates you about the way an articulated lorry drives, then I or my fellow drivers will try to explain it (sensibly - no wind ups please, from both parties, I trust the sight admin will respond fairly). Personally, I would like car drivers and lorry drivers to work togeather, understand each other and sit togeather on the highways in harmoney (sorry, but it felt like it scanned). So we'll try to explain what we do and why we do it, in sensible, eloquent terms. I expect the same from the other road users. I would love to offer to take people out for the day and show them why an articulated lorry reacts the way it does. Unfortunatley the firms dreaded insurance prevents this (from the health and safety point of view - this is down to the delivery points, so pease don't give me a hard time for not doing this). This sounds like the next best thing.

Cheers

Ian.

Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - PhilW
"something irritates you about the way an articulated lorry drives,"

Liberace,
Nothing really - except the way 1% (?) of articulated lorry drivers drive - but then that's the same with car drivers, bus drivers, cyclists, JCB drivers, horse riders, pedestrians, - and probably me (I hope a lot less than 1% of the time)
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Ex-Moderator
>>I trust the sight admin will respond fairly

We usually do.

As for what irritates, its this policing of lane closures. Trucks pull out in front of me, block me for hours when they overtake, tailgate me, etc. etc. but no more than car drivers do. The overtaking thing is annoying, but not a killer.

But what really winds me up is this vigilante behaviour from people who truly do live in glass houses.

What is the point of blocking a lane which will close, 1 mile before it does ? A couple of hundred yards, and I can see the point, although still not agree with the behaviour - but a mile ? or even half a mile ?

Its dangerous, stupid, inconsiderate, ignorant, and very very common.

If they wanted the lane closed a mile before, they would have closed it a mile before. About two months ago this happened on the M40 and everything ground to a halt. It turned out the signs were wrong and the lane didn't close. Pity, the truck drivers wasted half an hour of everybody's time.

Oh, and forget the martyr knights of the road bit. You work, I work, loads of people work. Some drive trucks, some work in factories and some work in offices. Its a job with no heroes involved. You keep the country running no more than anybody else doing a job.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Acarlin1
Why i don't condone the blocking of the third lane by lorry drivers/ coach drivers U have to ask yourself this. If the motorway is down to one lane as the markers indicate why is there a queue?? The simple answer is that the car driver can save him self 2 seocnds of his life if can just scrape through at the last minute before his lane is closed!! Hence causing the lorry/ coach/ caravan Driver to anchor up which in turn causes the lorry behind him to brake hard and so on but thats ok cos the vauxhall vectra with suit in back seat window is away and gone causing the remaining 1/2 mile of traffic to wait for the lorry that he cut to pick up speed again and never mind all the other unfortunate car/ lorry drivers behind them, Some (not all) lorry drivers will get fed up with this hence try and form an orderly queue which if u were sat in a wagon would see his point!
So if u do see the signs for lane closures think, Drop back move over and queue like everybody else 800 yards does not take long if everybody has slowed down to 40/50 mph (40 maybe 50 seconds of ur life) Try it next time! Its better to get home in 1 piece than become a grill ornament on a wagon!
I don't know if i'm posting on the right thread!! lol ( cars - what irritates ? would be more appropriate)
Another point you make about lorries is the fact that they pull out into the middle lane after a short signal, there is the occasional nut who does this to wind people up but on a whole u will find that if you were paying attention to the road and aurroundings i.e checking mirrors, instead of changing cd, talking/ txting on mobile phones, picking nose!! You would of seen that the artic on the inside has caught up with the lorry in front of him whilst you are not expecting to slow, most (not all) lorry would only pull out if U the middle lane man has a space to move over into the outside lane but as a rule lorry drivers are only supposed to check there mirrors every 3 seconds so what would they know eh? does a car driver do this? in minority yes some do but if i am in a car on a motorway i can tell you whats in front behind and side at all times because i use my mirrors same when in a lorry.
Just one quick question tho Why at 3am on a sunday morning do those in a car STILL sit in the middle lane?? lol one of lifes mysteries i guess eh?
>>Another point you make about lorries is the fact that they pull out into the middle lane after a short signal,

No, I don't think I made that point.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Altea Ego
"No, I don't think I made that point."

I did. To be frank even a short signal would be nice sometimes.
The problem - in my eyes - is that Truckers use their vehicles to intimidate and bully other road users. OK its not a perfect world, and there are as many stupid car drivers as there are Bullying Truckers.

It all stems from momentum. Truckers are obsessed with keeping up momentum to the extent where it is anti social and dangerous.

Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - NowWheels
What irritates me is the truckers claim that their work is so essential to the economy that they are justified in anything they do which makes life unnecesarily difficult for other road users.

The road haulage industry regularly trots out the myth that all their activities are essential if the economy is not to grind to a halt. Not really true.

Road haulage pays (in taxes and duties and so on) a fraction of the wider costs of keeping them on the road. Because road haulage is underpriced, it's an artificially cheap solution to business logistics, and as a result there is a lot if unnecessary hauling of goods around the countryside.

Sure, there would be a shock to the economy if the cost-base was changed overnight. But given time to adjust, businesses could reverse the centralisation of depots and suppliers which lead to goods being hauled back and forth along the same roads.

I know of one large business which tried that already in one area of its operations, and found that it could actually save money -- the idea of continually reducing the number of suppliers wasn't as efficient as they had thought, it was just simpler to manage.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Truckersunite
The problem - in my eyes - is that Truckers use
their vehicles to intimidate and bully other road users. OK its
not a perfect world, and there are as many stupid car
drivers as there are Bullying Truckers.
It all stems from momentum. Truckers are obsessed with keeping up
momentum to the extent where it is anti social and dangerous.

There maybe times when this is true, but alot of the time you will find it is defensive driving rather then bullying. We need to keep up momentum, a truck starting from only 1 or 2 mph is alot easier to get going then starting from a dead stop. To make it a little easier to understand, a fully freighted 44ton truck may have upto 16 gears. To start from a dead stop you would need to start in 2nd low, then move up the gears, this takes time and alot of extra effort and fuel. By doing 1 or 2 mph you will be able to start in 5th high, thus alot of fuel is saved, wear and tear on the vhicle is less and the load is not getting bounced around. At 81p a ltr and most trucks only getting 6-8mpg then anything that can be done to save fuel will be done. Just by keeping moving can easily save £100 per week in fuel, alot of drivers are on fuel bonuses so it is in their interests to drive as economically as possible.
Truckersunite, I don't doubt that what you say about the advantages to you of keeping up momentum is true.

But what worries me is that on Britain's crowded roads, keeping up momentum isn't easy without endangering the safety of other road users. It seems to me that the pressures on you guys are weighted towards maintaining momentum rather than safety.

I hadn't heard of this fuel bonus system before, but I don't like the sound of a system which pressurises drivers to cut corners in order to put a few more quid in their pockets.
I hadn't heard of this fuel bonus system before, but I
don't like the sound of a system which pressurises drivers to
cut corners in order to put a few more quid in
their pockets.

Sorry, I meant to add that I know that truckers are not well paid, so I'm not accusing you folks of being fat cats -- I'm criticising the system which puts you under such pressures.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - dapper scavenger
As a truck driver, I find it is the CARS that do the bullying! They swarm about you like little ants that you're so terrified you're going to squash you can't move. Meanwhile, the little so-and-so's are cutting you up, tailgating and just generally making life difficult!
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - henry k
Just one quick question tho Why at 3am on a sunday
morning do those in a car STILL sit in the middle
lane?? lol one of lifes mysteries i guess eh?

A quick answer. A more comfortable less stressful drive in a car.
I admit that I sometimes do it on selected parts of the M25 western section.
The reason is simple, the innermost lane has significant grooves that make cars tramline.

I cannot speak for others and middle lane hogging baffles me too but it is an early warning sign to beware of possible other strange antics.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - king arthur
I agree with Acarlin here. I have been through these lane closures late at night often, and what tends to happen is that the inside lane comes to a complete standstill, whilst those who cruise up and squeeze past the cones at the very last minute get through without queuing. The reason they can do this is because traffic in the inside lane takes time to start moving causing gaps to appear. Once, I witnessed two artic drivers get fed up with this behaviour, and so one of them moved into the middle lane, and the other into the outside lane. All three lanes then moved forward at the same speed and the queue reached the restriction smoothly. This is what is supposed to happen, but never does. There must be a scientific reason behind this - that in lane closures the inside lane always seems to be at a standstill while the outside lane moves quicker. Perhaps someone could look into it.
>>Once, I witnessed two artic drivers get fed up with this behaviour, and so one of them moved into the middle lane, and the other into the outside lane.

The illegal, dangerous, borish behaviour of arrogant prats who fancy themselves as some kind of vigilantes. No doubt they would tolerate a car restricting their driving as well.

How about a car driver that felt a truck creeping along in traffic was wrong and therefore stopped forcing the truck to do so ? Or is that different ?

Or what about when trucks are too close together and unable to stop without collision. Maybe a group of car drivers should move in front of them and then gradually slow them down ? Or is that different ?

Or how about truckers stop using their truck to intimidate ? Because all that happens in the end is that one no-brained plonker stops me going down the lane which I LEGALLY wish to use and I spend the rest of the day failing to be considerate to other truckers.

Reinvest in the railways. We'll relieve traffic congestion, save truckers from the pressure of carrying the survival or humanity as we know it on their shoulders, and get some more of the plonkers off the road.

The fact that you are driving in the lane you wish to use legally is missing the point. By doing so, you are preventing traffic in the inside lane from moving forward. Thus, the inside lane traffic remains at a standstill while you go on your merry way. Those who have filtered into the inside lane responsibly, i.e. a few hundred yards back when it was still moving and there were ample gaps to make use of, have their journey delayed disproportionately. The theory is that we should all filter one by one so everyone moves forward at the same speed, but this never actually happens. Try getting into the inside lane early one time to see how frustrating it is.
The point is that you are supposed to filter at or shortly before the restriction. Not a mile before it and not because someone in a big vehicle has decided that's what is going to happen.
The point is that you are supposed to filter at or shortly before the restriction. Not a mile before it and not because someone in a big vehicle has decided that's what is going to happen.

Again use common sense chap!! So are u the copper who's off to knock the door of the bloke u just killed cos he was laying out the cones??? I've seen it!! It ain't pretty just, just use a bit more of that patience move over early everybody gets there eventually although the way ur driving u may beat us home by ooo at least 5 mins!!!
NoWheels,

Keeping up momentum is actually safer then stop starting, I obviously do not know what driving qualifications you hold, personally I hold car, LGV C+E, Full Motorcycle and am also a fully trained assessor. On every licence other then the car licence you are trained to stop only if you actually have to. I have also been out with Police Traffic cops on a few occasions, and they are also trained to keep momentum going. If used CORRECTLY this style of driving is far safer. I am in no way implying that your standard of driving is low, but I would suggest you maybe try to go out with a police driver somtime (Not the panda car type, they are worse then caravan drivers)Alot of forces do open events in the summer, you can learn alot from them.
As for our pay, some of us are well paid, others of us are not. We are no different from most industry's in that respect. The down side of driving is not being able to plan anything as you never know when you will be home!!!

The plus side is that most of us do it because we like it, there are not many industry's where you have to pay £2000 out of your own pocket to be able to get a job. I would also like to add that the british LGV test is acknowledged as one of the toughest driving tests in the world.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - SlidingPillar
Actually, the problem is caused by those who must move over at the first sign. Thus slowing the inside lane down.

If everyone stayed where they were, zip merged in last 100 yard then there would not be a problem.

Added to this, there would be no incentive to pelt at a dangerous speed down the closing lane, and force into a gap that does not exist.

A slight change in signage, a bit of driver education would go a long long way to easing this situation.

As for the real topic, on the whole the drivers of artics are far more gentleman like than most other groups. When I hitch up my car trailer to my landrover, they treat me as an equal. But I of course return the favours.

In an ideal world that would be great, but you always find one person who cannot filter. It would be much better if we were all made to filter one for one at roundabouts as well. I know of a few roundabouts with lights on that function soo much better when the lights fail, because people use their common sense, the old A34/M4 junction used to be one before they bypassed it.
Look, when the number of lanes will reduce, then filtering has to occur. That can be in the appropriate place as has been organised with cones, warnings and signs, or it can be behind a couple of no-nothing jumped-up vigilante truck drivers who have seen fit to takeover the road and decide where that merge point must be - but still merging has to take place.

And we both know that its all irrelevant anyway - its actually down to truckers who are either not permitted in the outside lane, have to merge early because of their speed/accleration or otherwise choose the inner lane and then just get p***y because someone is overtaking them. There is no finer moral standpoint, its down to truckers stuck in a jam and getting narked at anything making better progress then them.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Sofa Spud
In general, as I've said before, I think the standard of driving for LGV's is higher than for cars, and so it should be!

Just one problem, particularly relevant to artics, though - taking roundabouts too fast. If the vehicle-plus-load's centre of gravity is high and the roll frequency of the trailer coincides with the left/right/left course through the roundabout, each change of steering direction amplifies the body roll. This is why artics can turn over at 15-20 mph, typically on the exit from a roundabout. I understand the problem is less severe than it used to be because supersingle-tyred trailers have a wider spring base and 3-axle tractor units have the kingpin mounted further forward.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
And as for the A34/M4 junction that's been a nightmare for years, with or without lights, for any vehicles.
Sofa spud,

There are times when A driver is unable to check his load, espicially in a sealed container or any sealed load. It may have been loaded top heavey and as such will have a tendaency to topple over. Air suspension has alot to do with it as it give no warning of an impending roll over, steel suspension would lift the inside wheel and give you a warning. It is also sometimes down to the driver being cut up at the roundabout,but there are times when it is just down to bad driving.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - frostbite
I think, if we must have these damn fool bus lanes on motorways, then they should also be available to artics.

How does that sit with everyone?
Actually, the problem is caused by those who must move over
at the first sign. Thus slowing the inside lane down.
If everyone stayed where they were, zip merged in last 100
yard then there would not be a problem.

No - this is the point I've been trying to make. By filtering in the last 100 yards, you are causing someone else in the inside lane to stop completely. This interrupts the smooth traffic flow. If the vehicle that has to stop is an artic, he will take that much longer and expend that much more effort to get going again, meaning everyone behind him has to wait. This is why you see the behaviour described above - the artic drivers were simply allowing the inside lane to proceed smoothly, so everyone makes progress at the same speed. If you had merged into the inside lane earlier, when there was a gap sufficient for you to fit into without the vehicle behind having to brake harder, everything would move more smoothly.

When the variable speed limits were introduced between junctions 10 and 17 of the M25, the department of transport claimed that journey times were improved. How could slowing the traffic down improve journey times? Think about it, it's the same principle.
It doesn't matter where you filter, it is over how long a distance that you filter.

So the foolish vigilante trucker may feel cool because he can keep rolling along using his vehicle to block other vehicles, but all he's doing is holding up a big load of traffic behind him including some other trucks, who then start moaning about how nobody can filter these days.

The whole process has been studied in some depth and is called a "Catterpiller effect" when one brakes the effect of that braking is amplified and 30 or 40 cars back end up stopping.
And how is that improved by the truck blocking the lanes 1/2 mile before it is needed ? How does that do anything other than move the problem ?
It keeps the traffic flowing, something that is more then obvioulsy an alien concept to you, but then I am sure you would be at the head of the queue and as such would not see what was happening further down. I would love to own garage near you mark as I am sure you keep them fully employed with the amount of brake shoes you must go through, remember the brake and accelerator pedals are not switches, they are variable.
It keeps the traffic flowing, something that is more then obvioulsy an alien concept to you, but then I am sure you would be at the head of the queue and as such would not see what was happening further down.

Oh don't be silly. Read what I wrote and try to understand. It really isn't that difficult.

Insofar as traffic flow is concerned it makes no difference whether the traffic mergers at the comes or 1 mile before the cones. Traffic flow is measured by how well traffic merges and over what distance.

You in your truck can prevent the traffic merging in front of you and force it to merge behind you. However, you have no effect on how well it merges. Indeed, you may even have a negative effect since irritating drivers and blocking their view probably causes them to do a worse job of merging than they normally do.

Just because you can't see it out of the big glass thing in front of you doesn't mean its not there. Try the shiny things to each side of you and see if you can find it there.

>>I would love to own garage near you mark as I am sure you
keep them fully employed with the amount of brake shoes you
must go through,

Mmm. Are you new to driving perchance ? Or has telepathy also become one of your god-like powers ? As it happens my car has no brake shoes. Would you care to explain your comments. Go on, give it a try, you never know what you can do until you try.

You are exactly the type in a truck that winds me up with this conviction of your god-given rightness and heroism. You drive a truck. Do you understand that ? Not a white charger in your shiny armour. You sit in a cab, not on a throne, and you are a truck driver and are qualified to do that, not interpret or devise trafficmanagement and flow strategies. You undo what good the likes of Liberace manage to achieve.
Mmm. Are you new to driving perchance ? Or has telepathy
also become one of your god-like powers ? As it happens
my car has no brake shoes.

8< snip. No need to quote the WHOLE post to which you're replying to. A brief summary is enough for people to spot who you're replying to.

I am not in the least bit surprised your car has no brake shoes!!!

You are right, I am a truck driver, a damn good one, with no accidents and no points. how about you? haw many points or accidents have you had in the last 11 years? As for qualifications have you got any that enable you to interpret the traffic flows??? The cones are there as a guide only, you get plenty of warnings well in advance with signs, why wait until the last minute to filter in? does that extra 20sec mean that much to you?? As it happens I am not the type to partake in this practise, I do however see the general benefits it has, It does keep the traffic moving in 99% of the cases.

I am a PROFESSIONAL driver, and you sir just seem to prove that there are dangers on the road.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Dynamic Dave
I am a PROFESSIONAL driver,

I'm sure you are, and I'm not doubting that, but the amount of driver's *claiming* to be professional just because their employment includes driving are anything but professional.
>>I am a PROFESSIONAL driver,

Do you mean that you are a person paid to drive ? In which case, yes you are. As am I. Although I am also paid to do other things as well. Or do you mean more than that ? Like some kind of guru trained to nijna standards ? In which case stop it, you're making me laugh.

>I am a truck driver, a damn good one

WIth that attitude, I rather doubt it.

And since you ask, I have had no accidents in any of the countries I drive in, in any of the types of vehicle I drive, in any of the conditions I drive in.

>>I do however see the general benefits it has, It does keep the traffic moving in 99% of the cases.

I'm beginning to think that you truly don't understand. Ask Liberace, I suspect that he does understand and you might be more willing to listen to him.

By the way, please try and read what I write and reply to that, rather than what you wish I had said.

i.e.
does that extra 20sec mean that much to you??

I didn't mention delays, I was talking about the incompetence of some of truck drivers and their behaviour on the roads.

>>why wait until the last minute to filter in?

I said nothing about waiting to the last minute; I was talking about plonkers in trucks who clearly have difficulty with the laws of physics and inflict the impacts of their flawed thinking on other road users.

>>I am a PROFESSIONAL driver,

I am paid to drive and have spent alot of time and money improving my driving skills.
>I am a truck driver, a damn good one
WIth that attitude, I rather doubt it.

And you mentioned personal attacks!!!!!
And since you ask, I have had no accidents in any
of the countries I drive in, in any of the types
of vehicle I drive, in any of the conditions I drive
in.

That makes two of us then.
>>I do however see the general benefits it has, It does
keep the traffic moving in 99% of the cases.
I'm beginning to think that you truly don't understand. Ask Liberace,
I suspect that he does understand and you might be more
willing to listen to him.

I see it all the time, the majority of the time it works, but not always,but then alot of traffic measures don't always work do they.

I said nothing about waiting to the last minute; I was
talking about plonkers in trucks who clearly have difficulty with the
laws of physics and inflict the impacts of their flawed thinking
on other road users.

That does not even deserve a reply.

>>That does not even deserve a reply.

I assume that you see the irony in reply to say that something doesn't deserve a reply ??
>>I trust the sight admin will respond fairly
We usually do.
t of blocking a lane which will close,
1 mile before it does ? A couple of hundred yards,
and I can see the point, although still not agree with
the behaviour - but a mile ? or even half a
mile ?
Its dangerous, stupid, inconsiderate, ignorant, and very very common.

I dislike this myself, but I can see why it's done. It's to stop the people who think it's their god given right to get in front of you at whatever cost.
If they wanted the lane closed a mile before, they would
have closed it a mile before. About two months ago this
happened on the M40 and everything ground to a halt. It
turned out the signs were wrong and the lane didn't close.
Pity, the truck drivers wasted half an hour of everybody's time.

I don't think it would happen if people were a little more considerate towoards each other, didn't each other up - I like that even less when I've got 16+ gears to go back through and 40 tonnes to take back up to the correct speed. They seem to manage merging at roadworks on the continent ok, so why not here? Would it be the I'm first attitude and stuff everyone else, as displayed frequently bu all drivers?
Oh, and forget the martyr knights of the road bit. You
work, I work, loads of people work. Some drive trucks, some
work in factories and some work in offices. Its a job
with no heroes involved. You keep the country running no more
than anybody else doing a job.?

Hmmm, I would like to see how long the country kept moving if we all downed keys for a month.

>>Hmmm, I would like to see how long the country kept moving if we all downed keys for a month.

Or the Gas Workers, or the Electricity workers, or the Water workers, or the shop workers, or or or or or
Hmmm, I would like to see how long the country kept
moving if we all downed keys for a month.

Same goes for nurses, the people who run corner shops, bank staff, telecoms engineers etc etc. Truckers do an important job, but that doesn't excuse poor driving.
It doesn't excuse poor driving - I am not asking you to excuse poor driving, although everyone makes a mistake, myself included. I learn from them, I hope you would too when you make one. I would like to see a little more tolerace shown on the roads generally. Wouldn't you? It's back to attitude again.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - BazzaBear {P}
I don't think it would happen if people were a little
more considerate towoards each other, didn't each other up - I
like that even less when I've got 16+ gears to go
back through and 40 tonnes to take back up to the
correct speed. They seem to manage merging at roadworks on
the continent ok, so why not here? Would it be
the I'm first attitude and stuff everyone else, as displayed frequently
bu all drivers?

(This is mostly a reply to Truckersreunite, but I wanted to quote the point about it working better on the continent)

They manage it in the US much better too, and they do it by zippering, 1-1, AT the point of the lane closure. To be honest, I think what causes the probelm in the UK isn't the people staying in the lane, it's our British obsession with queuing which results in 75% of people joining pointlessly early, then swearing about those who do not.
For my part, I tend to join at about 400 yards as a compromise between
1) not wanting to be a sheep who joins so early for no reason
and
2) Not liking the thought of several hundred people all hating my guts!

Actually, that's not strictly true any more. Nowadays I tend to go across to the slow lane at the first sign of traffic slowing, and tend to go through at a reasonable, steady speed, rather than being held up all the time by vigilante truckers and kamikaze Marks forcing their way past them ;)

Mark is correct, if you're blocking the lanes short of the merge point, all you're doing is creating another merge point further down the road. Result: the lane closure is that much longer. This does not in any way 'allow traffic to flow better' what it does is stops it flowing in front of your truck, so your truck gets there quicker itself.
TR, you're claiming that the person who stays in the lane to be closed until the closure is being selfish and putting themselves ahead of others. By blocking all the lanes, the trucker is doing the exact same thing - putting himself ahead of others - but forcibly, and to far more people.
Someone also made the point that there are signs way ahead of a lane closure, this is true. They say how far to the lane closure. They do not say 'merge now'.
BTW, for what it's worth I agree with those higher up the thread who have said that the vast majority of truckers you see drive impeccably, but it's hard not to focus on the few who do not, because it's a damn dangerous weapon they're wielding so erratically.

Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - smoke
These sorts of threads are amusing (the ones that tar the driver of a type of car/4x4/SUV/van/lorry because of the way that some of them are driven).
The problem is that on forums like this the people who post on and respond to the threads are not usually the purpitrators of the problem, since they are ones who are enthusiastic about the way and what the drive. Yet they get hammered for belonging to a group of people who drive the said vehicle badly, inappropriatly etc etc. The real culprits of the bad driving of 4x4s, lorries, HGV,s BMWs etc etc are nowhere to be seen on sites like these, and hence cannot justify their driving "techniques".
I see it thus.

At the point of road pinch (or shortly before) we should "merge in turn" or "zip" I have seen some roadworks with signs saying this and on the whole drivers respond.

But if you get a truck blocking off 800 yards (thats half a mile folks) of carriageway just so his slow moving mates on the inside lane dont have to zip merge with us car drivers then you are going to get all out war at the next pinch point due to frustration.

So why cant trucks zip merge then?

Ah yes - I see Momentum this holy grail of truckers.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Adam {P}
Are they going to start singing carols?

;-)
--
Adam
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
>if you're blocking the lanes short of the merge point, all you're doing is creating another merge point further down the road. Result: the lane closure is that much longer. This does not in any way 'allow traffic to flow better' what it does is stops it flowing in front of your truck, so your truck gets there quicker itself.

This attitude is regularly shown near me on the A64 between York and Malton. The road regularly gets congested in summer, especially as it swaps from single to double carriageway and back again. Artics straddle both lanes of a dual section up to a mile before the 'merge in'. I have been prevented from turning right from the outside lane to get to one of the little villages. Instead I have been forced to crawl behind 'half a waggon' blocking the otherwise empty lane.

The abuse that can also come from the cab if you follow with the right indicator on is also amazing....
Enough from me, I think.

On a more serious point, the subjects around trucks and truck drivers come up on here quite often. Some of you ought to hang around, you'd always be welcome to put your point of view.

We have got a couple of truckers already, but more are always welcome.

A little more knowledge of each other's thinking couldn't hurt.

I'll still never really understand the blocking people in traffic queues thing though. And we should probably have a quiet chat about those little blue lights at some point as well - I'm not sure you're fully aware of the implications.

And if you see a blue Landcruiser heading London bound from J13 on the M40 tonight, (or any other night for that matter), do wave.

toodle pip.
Tomorrow's Headlines,

"Man trapped in Landcruiser Lorry Convoy - 20 Artics block a man on Motorway for 4 hours"
--
Adam
"Man trapped in Landcruiser Lorry Convoy - 20 Artics block
a man on Motorway for 4 hours"

Surely'd manage to get the "eleven long-haired friends of Jesus" in there somewhere?
in a chartreuse micra-bus ?
in a chartreuse micra-bus ?

only if you go a-huntin' bear
It's a shame my 2000th post had to be one with me floundering in confusion (yes yes - happens all the time).
--
Adam
"my 2000th post"

Are you having a party?
A party? This is already it! Mark's been lenient enough today - and it's not even Friday!!!
--
Adam
A party? This is already it! Mark's been lenient enough today
- and it's not even Friday!!!
--
Adam

Mark seems to be having a party of his own in this thread.
could have been worse, you could have been holding the dynamite for the suicide-jockey.
could have been worse, you could have been holding the dynamite
for the suicide-jockey.

I wonder if Adam's musical tastes are bad enough for him to know what we're talking about
Breaker Breaker one nine - this here's the rubber duck.

Sadly yes - they are that bad.
--
Adam
Breaker Breaker one nine - this here's the rubber duck.
Sadly yes - they are that bad.

Oh dear. And there was me flattering myself that I was being a bad influence on The Yoof Of Today ;-)
>>>TRuck failed to notice that at one point the barrier narrowed where there is an occaional crossover for use in roadworks and the like. I passed the truck - he was doing about 5mph, I was doing about 10mph. Then I stopped. Therefore, so did he. All rather silly really
And then people why there is so much road rage ! lol
Had to read this several times trying to work out what was meant ?? Still not perfectly clear?? Sounds illegally pigheaded to me!! But then again thats gettin personal as many of the so called moderators remarks have been. A truly mature debate!!

May all your roads be empty and and lanes open
drive safe or not at all!
I'll still never really understand the blocking people in traffic queues
thing though. And we should probably have a quiet chat about
those little blue lights at some point as well - I'm
not sure you're fully aware of the implications.

Now though it pains me to do so, if you are going to have a go about the little blue lights then I will have to agree with you.
>>if you are going to have a go about the little blue lights then I will have to agree with you.

I've heard two explanations;

1) its the Trucker (trucky?) version of fluffy dice in a MkII Cortina

2) its used by homosexual truckers to indicate their preference to other truckers.

I am interested in your thoughts !

By the way, you really shouldn't *ever* *ever* *ever* use the word "trucky" again. This does nothing for your image.

As an aside, if you or others use the M40/A34 here's something that I think trucks don't realise. Coming down the M40 London bound and coming off at J9. As you come up to the roundabout the two right lanes can be used to go right. The left lane is for turn left only.

A truck in the middle lane cannot move out onto the roundabout and start going around it without encroaching on the left lane. Anyone in the left lane has nowhere to go.

Its a dumb design, but if you're ever there keep an eye out, I've seen an awful lot of trucks and cars having a crash together when neither saw it coming.
p.s. what does [zb] mean ?
It's used on their forum a lot. Never heard of it myself though.
--
Adam
[zb] is used to repalce swear words, It is the initials of an old Moderator on the site and it was what he used when the swear words were taken away, it has stuck ever since.
>>[zb] is used to repalce swear words

Ah. Well round here its pfd standing for Pink Fluffy Dice. It comes from one time when I had to edit someone's post for the millionth time and it was someone who thought swearing was macho - so I edited out his swearwords and replaced it with the most ridiculous thing I oculd think of at the time.
Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - L'escargot
Nothing about articulated lorries (or trucks as they are more usually known by the cognoscente) irritates me. They provided me with 28 years of employment in truck component development, and I can never forget that.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
I was only aware of option 1. But having said that I would not be seen dead with them on either a truck or a car so it would negate the need for option 2. But I would ask how you came accross option 2, somthing you wish to share with us all mark!!!

Believe me, my other half beat any thoughts of an image I had out of me a long time ago....lol

As for M40 J9, as long as it is a car in the right hand lane, and that they keep well over to the right then it can be done. (I used to use that junction at least twice a day for a year, and yes it got very boring)But it is a dumb design. Not that I am agreeing with you!!!!!
>>Not that I am agreeing with you!!!!!

Thank goodness for that; if you had been agreeing with me I would have had to change my mind.

>>I would ask how you came across option 2

I think it was one of the BBC sites, but I don't remember exactly. A few poeple seem to have heard the same thing but, and I guess for obvious reaasons, its a little difficult to get any confirmation.

Articulated Lorries - What Irritates? - Tomo
I WISH I had not read all of this thread; I used not to worry about merging!

A small splash of Pusser's is indicated now.
An interesting interlude, which is now diving into silly ratholes. I'm locking it, although I shall leave it here since I think it makes interesting reading, certainly seeing both sides.