tardy cadam? - tunacat
After recent discussions about accidents and contributary road design and layout, the following caught my eye on another motoring site:

"It's recommended that roads should be resurfaced every ten to twenty years, depending on road type.

In London the average is 23 years. In the rest of England it's 51 years, and in Wales it's 61 years - which would mean that the average Welsh road still has the same surface that it did towards the end of World War II.

After that, it doesn't take much imagination to accept a survey's report that damaged roads have led to £106 million in compensation claims following vehicle damage or road accidents in England, and £17 million worth of similar claims in Wales. Over the last ten years the English figure has risen by 60%, the Welsh by 187%."

tardy cadam? - Retro
That surprises me as Welsh main roads are on the whole great and well looked after.

Perhaps the minor roads that get used once a day drag the statistic down, without being worn out as they are used so little.
tardy cadam? - BrianW
Thre tendency is for patching rather than resurfacing.
And as a motorcyclist I've noticed a spate of damaged surfaces following the bit of frost and snow a couple of weeks back.