Brake fluid - Robin Reliant
Does brake fluid have a shelf life? I've got a bottle in the garage that I used on the rear brake of the bike 2 1/2 years ago, now got to overhall the front calipers and I am going to change the fluid as well. Safe to use, or should I buy new?

Thanks in advance.
Brake fluid - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Dispose of it responsibly and buy fresh.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Brake fluid - Doc
From mgcars:

Brake Fluid deteriorates over time.
It?s hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture.
Moisture can in turn corrode brake seals.
Fluid contaminated by moisture will get hot enough to cause your brake fluid to boil.
When brake fluid boils, compressible vapour forms in the brake system causing the brake pedal to feel soft and/or not work at all.

Brake fluid - mfarrow
Incidently, how do you dispose of it responsibly? I never see a bin for this kinda stuff at the tip, apart from oil.
Brake fluid - mfarrow
I suppose you could keep it as a 'brake component cleaner', but otherwise I'd chuck it like Andrew suggests.
Brake fluid - Robin Reliant
Done.

Many thanks.
Brake fluid - Cliff Pope
I think "shelf life" usually refers to unopened with the seal unbroken. Once opened I agree, it's not worth the risk of using it.
Brake fluid - pmh
If you have a friendly local garage ask them to test the BP.

It would be interesting to know whether it had absorbed moisture whilst stored in a closed but opened can (if you get the drift!). This must be an enviroment which is better for storage than having it in the cars braking system.

If it cannot be tested, I think I would err on the side of caution and throw away.

But how many people do actually change the brake fluid at the recommended intervals?? (Suggestion for poll???)

--
pmh (was peter)

Brake fluid - THe Growler
Junk DOT 3 or DOT 4 that's been opened.

DOT 5 is silicone-based without the hygroscopic problem but can pose a problem to seals in certain circumstances unless the brake systems are designed for it.

Basically the stuff is cheap enough. Chuck it and get fresh fluid.