Thatcham Cat 1 alarm install - Aprilia
The car alarm installers have got themselves a nice little monopoly, haven't they?

Recently been helping someone who's had problems with a car alarm installation.

The vehicle is a 'classic' Mercedes and the owner's insurers insisted on a Catagory 1 alarm installed by a 'VSIB approved' fitter.

The owner duly had one fitted at a cost of about £400.

Unfortunately he suffered all manner of problems after the install, which the installer seemed unable/uninterested to fix.

I had the car for a couple of hours and found the fitting to be a complete shambles - poorly made connections, an unfused 12V feed wire running taut over a sharp metal edge, loads of black tape everywhere etc etc and a piece of the Mercs trim broken. To cut short a long story I have removed this heap of junk and the owner has managed to get a 50% refund from the installer.

Anyhow, I can get a Toad AI606 Cat 1 alarm for £120 (for which security companies are charging £350 fitted!) and I reckon I can fit it in about 2 hours - and do the job 100%. The snag is that I am not VSIB accredited. Anyone know if it is possible to get a post-installation check and a stamped VSIB certificate on this basis? Has anyone fitted and certificated an alarm in this way? We are located in the East Midlands if anyone can help out.
Thatcham Cat 1 alarm install - AR-CoolC
I would have a word with the chaps at Thatcham themselves, Andy on the helpdesk is very helpful.

vehicle security

Helpline: 0870 5502006
email: helpdesk@thatcham.org

(Glass-Tech)
Thatcham Cat 1 alarm install - nick
If you end up having to get it done, I can recommend Electromec at Lincoln, if it's not too far. They did a good job fitting a Clifford system on my Subaru two years ago and I've had no problems (touch wood).
Thanks for the contacts. I will ring Thatcham. The car owner would like me to do it for him and then get it inspected and certificated.
Thatcham Cat 1 alarm install - AR-CoolC
I'm from Lincoln myself, which costal town do you live in?
Well, after talking to VSIB it seems that I *can* install an alarm/immobiliser and take it to a local vehicle alarm fitter and get it certificated.
Its not cheap though. I rang a local alarm installer and they said they'd charge £50 for a certificate. I asked what they would check and how long it would take - the answer was, "We just check it works, mate. Takes about 10 minutes".

Apparently all Cat 1 and Cat 2 alarms should be inspected annually and a new certificate issued for the insurance to remain valid. The annual inspection is £50. A nice little earner I think!!
Thatcham Cat 1 alarm install - trancer
"Apparently all Cat 1 and Cat 2 alarms should be inspected annually and a new certificate issued for the insurance to remain valid. The annual inspection is £50. A nice little earner I think!!"

Do you mean your vehicle theft insurance or the seperate insurance/marketing ploy that Thatcham offer if your car is stolen with one of their alarms etc?. I bought my used car with an alarm/immobilizer already fitted and this was declared to my insurance. I have no clue if it is Cat 1 or 2 or if my theft insurance is even valid now.

I mean the standard theft insurance that your insurer provides.
The car in question is a classic Mercedes and the insurer requires that a Cat 1 alarm is fitted. I phoned the company (brokers actually) on behalf of the owner to enquire about the need for a VSIB certificate.
In the event of a theft claim the insurers would need to see the VSIB Cat 1 certificate and apparently it should be renewed each year. If you haven't got an up-to-date certificate then the car is not covered for theft. Obviously the VSIB installers have got you over a barrel on this one - hence the £50 fee to check it still works (just rang another and they only want £30!).

VSIB seems to be another of those 'trade bodies' that exists mainly to ensure a healthy income stream for its members (been told its £700 a year subscription and then you go on a short fitting course). Judging by the standard of installtion I saw on this Merc they could start out by teaching their members how to solder properly and to look behind trim before drilling a hole!!
Thatcham Cat 1 alarm install - nick
Having a Cat 1 alarm wasn't required by my insurance company but they did give a discount for having one fitted. No mention of annual inspections though. I'll have to check the small print. I'd hate to think I wasn't covered for theft of the vehicle. Never heard of this before - a bit worrying.

AR - I live on the coast about 10 miles from Louth.