Green Filters - Sofa Spud
As we all know, green filter arrows on traffic lights mean you may proceed in the direction shown even if the main light is red. In general, if a green filter shows one generally has right of way too. For instance, when turning right, oncoming traffic is stopped.

However, this situation is not universal. I know of one crossroads junction (in Bath) where the green phase consists of two green arrows pointing left and right. The road ahead is no entry (one way, coming towards you). Oncoming traffic is NOT stopped during the green filter stage. The first time I used this junction I turned right only to find a car coming straight for me. I've seen other drivers having similar near misses there. It seems the filter arrows are used in place of a normal green light to emphasise that you can't go straight ahead.

The law should be changed so that a filter arrow may ONLY be used in conjunction with protected right of way (which is the usual situation anyway)
Green Filters - patently
Suggest you claim against the local authority official who designed that, for the cost of a new pair of trousers.

I'd have made the same assumption.
Green Filters - Bromptonaut
Whats needed is consistency. I'm aware of one the other way Guiseley West Yorks (Otley Road/Oxford Road/Victoria Road). PLain round light goes go green and right turning strangers edge forward, expecting the oppo direction stuff move off as well only to be blasted by the locals who know the ahead and right turn phases are separated.
Green Filters - Alpha Dio {P}
This is a nasty gotcha. Our local authority installed a new filter for a right turn on Exeter's outer ring-road which didn't give right of way: the only reason for it's existence was to protect Park and Ride buses joining the ring-road. Almost immediately after installation, an elderly couple were killed when they turned into oncoming traffic. Cue press outrage and the junction was subsequently changed to protect right turning cars.

I agree that consistency is the problem. Perhaps unprotected turnings could be marked by Give Way markings/signs as well?

m.
Green Filters - Schnitzel
Green flashing lights would be good to signify "Give way to to vehicles in other direction"
Green Filters - v8man
We have a junction in Eastbourne where the right filter is on at the same time as ahead green and the green coming towards you. The only problem is that the green coming towards you changes to red while the filter is still green. By the time you have realised it is safe to turn (the opposing traffic has finished jumping the red) it is too late and you are stranded in the middle of the junction! Wonderful engineering!!
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"