Courtesy to reversing drivers - mike100
Due to a combination of long term roadworks and flooded roads, the amount of traffic using the very narrow lane past my house has significantly increased over the last week or so. This has led to the inevitable meeting of vehicles coming in the opposite direction and one of us having to back up to a suitable passing place. Now I don't know about anyone else but I find it very difficult to reverse at night (no I'm not a flat-cap Rover and my vision does not require correcting, night or day) when all you've got to illuminate your path backwards is one or two 21 watt lights, not focused on the road, and someone coming towards you with 2 x 55 watt bulbs concentrated right in your peripheral vision or framing your side mirrors. Factor in the effect of rain and the manouvere becomes even more difficult. So my request is - if the other driver has the decencey to reverse back for you, show them a bit of consideration and go to side lights until there is a clear path for you to pass. It will benefit you since you'll be on your way that bit quicker. This is even more significant if you drive anything where the headlights are high off the ground (e.g. 4x4s, Transits, lorries) i.e. at the eye height of car drivers.

And as for the eejits who for some reason think front fog lights are necessary in such conditions i.e. dark and not foggy, well I may as well talk to myself where consideration is concerned.
Courtesy to reversing drivers - frostbite
Consideration is not part of the driving test and is totally alien to a lot of drivers.

Two eyewitness accounts of an accident can make you wonder about history.
Courtesy to reversing drivers - holly1
Know just what you mean .... our road is a rat run for those dropping kids off at the local schools. The road can be completely clear when you begin to reverse your car into your own drive but within seconds a speeding, usually MPV or 4x4, is right there at your side. They have no intention of waiting the few seconds it will take to complete your manoeuvre and the moment there is the smallest of spaces in front of you they rush past and give you the dirtest of looks.

If I didnt like my car and could be bothered with the insurance claim, I would have the greatest of pleasure rolling forwards right into the side of them - but I doubt a Corsa will do much damage to one of these larger vehicles.
Courtesy to reversing drivers - PhilDews
Get yourself a cheap landie with a bull bar on the front and third party insurance. Then roll forwards into the side of them.....

'This poster will not tolerate illegal, abusive or otherwise insulting behaviour to other people or their possessions'
Courtesy to reversing drivers - Cliff Pope
I quite agree Mike. We get that on the rural roads where I live.
I think many drivers do not appreciate the blinding effect of headlights at close range, but you are right, a proportion are just rude and think they have sole right to the road.
There is a danger even during the day from the kind who try and barge through a gap while you are still trying to reverse safely.
My tactic when reversing to find a passing place is to stay firmly in the middle of the road until reaching the spot before pulling over. If the oncomer keeps on pressing too close, go back beyond the space, then drive forwards into it. If they won't give you space, just sit there patiently until they pull back again. Never give them a gap to try and squeeze through.
If you can't see because of the headlights, just flash and wait.

Remember the story of the impatient woman who barged onto a narrow bridge and then shouted at the other driver that she was in a hurry?
He just replied "I'm not" and got out his newspaper.
Courtesy to reversing drivers - blinky
I agree, courtesy when driving is generally poor in UK, also observation seems to be an alien concept to many drivers.Since country lanes are generally less policed than other roads people take bigger risks e.g. overtaking on blind bends (I encountered a white van man doing this yesterday).
Courtesy to reversing drivers - holly1
Not just poor observation but also driver attitude is to blame. People have no consideration for anyone else anymore.

Just go to your local supermarket car park and watch them all throw their vehicles into a space with no regard to others parked nearby, throw their doors opened onto the car next to them causing scratches and dents and then dump their trolley next to someone elses car when the trolley park is only three steps more.
Courtesy to reversing drivers - Sofa Spud
Good idea - I'll try switching to sidelamps next time a vehicle reverses to let me pass on a narrow road. But here's one thought - would the other driver know what's going on or would they think you're about to hijack them or something?

Another occasion where I've found courtesy works. Merging from an urban side road into a queue of rush-hour traffic. If you try nosing over the line and edging forward, people will not let you out as readily as if you clearly stop behind the give way line and look nicely at the driver of the car you're giving way to.

Cheers, SS
Courtesy to reversing drivers - Cliff Pope
Good idea SS. Make eye contact and wave a thank you, and then go. It makes the other driver feel really good to have briefly encountered another human.
Courtesy to reversing drivers - David Horn
If they refuse to switch off their headlights, flick your own on to full beam. It might not help the vision situation but always makes me feel better. After all, you're doing them a courtesy, they should at least make the job easy for you.