4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - volvoman
Yep, apparently it's true according to a radio news programme I heard this afternoon with a Labour MP - Paul Flynn ? - 4x4's will soon be banned from Paris!

Given Red Ken's recent comments about 4x4's, I think if he gets re-elected there's a good chance he'll try the same tactic in London.

Although I don't like them, slippery slope is a phrase which comes to mind.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Civic8
I can see problems there.what do they ban as some cars are 4x4.
ie usual shape and not the big land rover types
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Mondaywoe
I reckon the French plod will pull people over and do spot checks on their differentials..........

:-) :-)

Graeme
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - volvoman
I'm sure they're referring to the large off-roader types rather than 'ordinary' cars which happen to have 4 wheel drive. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

BTW thanks for the Blaupunkt Verona link.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - PhilW
"large off-roader types rather than 'ordinary' cars"

But where do you draw the line - is the Scenic 4wd a "large off roader", is a Forester? Freelander? Volvo? old Panda? Kangoo?, Vitara?
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Big Vern
Great sounds like they will generate volumes and volumes of guidelies as to what is and what is not a 4x4, spend many years arguing over it in Europe then impose it on us, who says the EU is full of waste, red tape etc etc :o)
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Civic8
Yes I gathered that.point is if 4x4`s in general are banned will cause problems.as you say interesting to see what happens not only in Paris but London as well.being the amount of these motors on the road reckon on severe probs for all concerned.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - spinner
How will they enforce this?
Will they be towed away to the pound - and then the crusher?
Will the sale of 4x4 be banned in Paris garages?
What about unsuspecting tourists?

Nightmare - if you happen to own one ;-}
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - NowWheels
Nightmare - if you happen to own one ;-}

the solution is surely for people to take action now, and replace their 4X4s with military-spec armoured cars.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Andrew-T
Sounds like a clever idea to me - assuming it happens (and precedent suggests it won't) it would reduce traffic by about 20%, while targeting the big chunky ones that take up an unfair amount of space. :o)
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Insect
Strewth, what a terrible idea. The great hulking things will be driven out (literally) into our countryside instead, and I'm fairly sure that our lanes weren't designed to take them...
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - lezebre
Sounds like an opportunity for the Reliant Car Co to develop a 3x3.......
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Dynamic Dave

Passes the blood pressure pills across to No Dosh

DD.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - No Do$h
Passes the blood pressure pills across to No Dosh
DD.

Cheers Dave.

Anyone got any Nurofen? And a new monitor? I banged my head so hard on the old one I broke it.

::: Gibbering in the corner :::

ND
Anyone got any Nurofen? And a new monitor? I
banged my head so hard on the old one I broke it.

Alors, alors, alors, mon ami anglais!

What vous need eez not a nouvelle moniteur, eet eez a rest.

But, thanks, merci, that it was not worse.

En Paris, nous have un old saying about banging zee head: "better a hundred times on the moniteur, than once on an SUV"
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - mattyw.
If Land Rover were a French company this idea would never have got off the ground. If the French manufacturers produced any traditional off-roaders this idea would never would have been mooted. Perhaps an example of French protectionism under the guise of enviromental friendliness. Will they ban big Vel Satises, Grand Espaces etc; Mais non!
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Altea Ego
Oh come on - this is France. You can bring whatever legislation you want, and the great French motoring public will ignore it, and Les Flics wont enforce it.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Manatee
Sounds like a breach of human rights to me. Why don't they just start with les bar de bully?
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - No Do$h
and Les Flics wont enforce it.

Unless you have one of those bad luck talismans on the rear of your car. Can be blue or white, but always has the letters "GB" on it.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - J Bonington Jagworth
As long as they include the Renault Scenic 4x4, I'm all for it!
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - Mapmaker
I saw something called an RAV on the road this weekend. It would seem a bit harsh to ban it, as it's barely bigger than was the IVxIV Panda. Seemed like a pretty pointless vehicle to me.

[ducks]
I saw something called an RAV on the road this weekend.
It would seem a bit harsh to ban it, as
it's barely bigger than was the IVxIV Panda. Seemed like
a pretty pointless vehicle to me.

not entirely useless: two of my friends say that riding in a RAV makes them more sick than any other form of transport they have tried.

So, if you want your passengers to start heaving, a RAV should be just the ticket ;-)
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - OldPeculiar
I had the misfortune to drive a RAV once, for some strange reason one of they company pool cars was a RAV4. One of the most horrible cars I've ever driven!
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - DavidHM
If Land Rover were a French company this idea would never have got off the ground. If the French manufacturers produced any traditional off-roaders this idea would never would have been mooted. Perhaps an example of French protectionism under the guise of enviromental friendliness. Will they ban big Vel Satises, Grand Espaces etc; Mais non!

I don't know if MattyW said this jokingly or not, but under the EU competition case of Cassis de Dijon this does sound very like a "Measure Equivalent to a Quantative Restriction," i.e., a regulatory measure that happens to capture foreign producers disproportionately compared to domestic ones. This would then leave the French government (or whicherver 'emanation of the state' that proposes the ban) wide open to a challenge in the European courts.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - OldPeculiar
and since when has that ever bothered the French? (budget deficit, ban on British beef?)

sorry going political there. So how many people in France drive 4by4's? Are they getting a lot more popular?
I expect what're really annoying them is the phrase "le four-by-four"...
I expect what's really annoying them is the phrase "le four-by-four"...
Sorry - finger/mouse trouble!
4x4\'s to be banned in.....Paris - No Do$h
Sorry - finger/mouse trouble!

I now have images of a grey-gloved hand with a cardboard cone for a face, replete with whiskers and ears, scampering about on a mid 1970\'s Decca television.
4x4's to be banned in.....Paris - just a bloke
>> Sorry - finger/mouse trouble!
I now have images of a grey-gloved hand with a cardboard
cone for a face, replete with whiskers and ears, scampering about
on a mid 1970\'s Decca television.

Jaffey bends a finger......