Motorbility Rights - markc
Hi,

Can anyone advise me regarding my disabled mums rights to renewal of her motorbility scheme car which has just been declined on the basis of insurance difficulties.

She is on the higher rate of DLA and has severe mobility problems. She has had a motorbility car for 3 terms (9 years). She has just filled in the forms for renewal to obtain her new vehicle as usual. However, the Royal and Sun motorbility scheme Insurers have said they will not insure her and hence that she can not have a motorbility vehicle. They state the reason is that she has made 4 insurance claims in the last 5 years has exceeded their arbitrary threshold for insurance claims. However, of the claims made, one was a small accident in a car park and the other 3 were due to criminal damage caused to the vehicle while simply parked outside the house. The most serious was when a stolen car smashed into the vehicle (and several others) while parked during the early hours of the morning. The other 2 unrealted incidents involved local youths damaging the vehicle (and several other vehicles in the street), again while parked. In each case the police were informed and crime numbers obtained, however the Police have yet to come up with anything - even though much information regarding the stolen car was available. My mum has made a number of complaints to the local police who say they have limited resources

Surely my mum should not be penalised for incidents beyond her control? - surely she should not be exclused from the motorbility scheme and hence left without any form of transport.

Can anyone advise? How can she appeal? what rights does she have?

I sincerely hope someone can help and advise as my mum is now distraught with worry at not having transportation.

Thanks,

Mark
Motorbility Rights - Bromptonaut
The words rights and Motability tend not to share the same sentence, the whole scheme is hedged about with discretion. Try and talk to a manager and consider whether your mother can make other insurance arrangements. Alternatively, if she takes her DLA as cash what is available on private lease/hire/purchase schemes. Don't assume Motability is automatically the muts nuts!