Brake Pads - Mk 4 Fiesta - Adam {P}
Hi all,
I've decided to change the already worn down brake pads on my Mark 4 Fiesta and have purchased some new ones. However, it was only when I got them home that I realised I knew nothing about changing them!

I do want to do it myself as I want to be more mechanically minded. Does anyone know the basics of how to change them please? You don't have to go into Haynes Manual details as I reckon if I was pointed in the right direction I could do it. WHat tools would I need as well? A torque wrench perhaps?

Many thanks in advance

ADam
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
Brake Pads - Mk 4 Fiesta - Dynamic Dave
I've decided to change the already worn down brake pads on my
Mark 4 Fiesta and have purchased some new ones.

You've worn them out in four months?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=18...4

sorry Dave - my fault - I suppose I should be more accurate....possibly even CORRECT in my posts. My Dad's mate who I should add is a mechanic looked at them last week when it went in for an oil change. I believe his exact words were

"Hmm - they've still got meat on but they've bound" whatever the hell that means. I'm guessing they've not worn then? Have I bought new brake pads for nothing?

Sorry for my inaccuracy and ignorance

ADam
--
Brake Pads - Mk 4 Fiesta - madf
I have done this on a Mark3 Fiesta and own a Mark 5 (which is the saem virtually as a Mark4). A Mark 5 looks easier than a Mark 3.

The Haynes manual suggests after removing the wheels all you need is a screwdriver to remove the pad springs plus a torque wrench to tigheten the guide pin bolts.

Your local library may have a manual you can borrow foc..

Or you can buy a workshop CD on ebay:-)

madf

Brake Pads - Mk 4 Fiesta - Altea Ego
"Hmm - they've still got meat on but they've bound" whatever the hell that means. I'm guessing they've not worn then? Have I bought new brake pads for nothing?

This is mechanic speak for.

"still got meat" means "in my opinion they are not yet worn to the level where they need replacing"

"the've bound" means "the brakes pads are sticking in the caliper so they will wear wear out quicker"

All of this means, you would have to get the pads out to clean the caliper and pads and generally free it all up anyway, and while you have the pads out you may as well change them. So no you have not wasted money on new pads. Because they were binding, dont just change the pads, clean the calipers and sliding faces as well. DONT USE OIL.
Brake Pads - Mk 4 Fiesta - Cliff Pope
You don't have to go into Haynes
Manual details as I reckon if I was pointed in the
right direction I could do it. WHat tools would I need
as well? A torque wrench perhaps?

>>

Actually I think you do need to go into Haynes Manual details. Apart from the safety angle, there are a lot of little things to get right that you really need to be aware of.
To summarise:
Check condition of the disks.
Check caliper pistons all move freely. If one is seized it can be a hard job freeing it.
Don't just lever the pistons back in - you send old dirty fluid back up into the master cylinder, and risk causing seal failure. You should release surplus fluid at the bleed nipples, which means being able to free them without shearing them off.
Clean/chip away rust
Anti-squeal pads?
Copper-ease on sliding bits, not on disk/pads
THanks for your advice - I'm going to head to Halfords after and buy a manual - seems logical if I'm going to be attempting repairs myself. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

ADam
--