New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Zoooom
Anyone thinking of buying a new Golf should seriously look at the new Audi A3.

I have owned 4 Golfs in my life. I saved up and delayed replacing my old car so that I could get the new Mk V Golf. However when I went to look at it, in my opinion the interior has been downgraded and it looks ever more like the Polo.

I am very pleased to say I voted with my wallet and bought the new Audi A3 instead - only slightly more expensive but twice as good in my opinion!

If you haven't looked around the new A3 - I strongly recommend you do. I think the VW golf has lost its place as the benchmark for top hatchbacks.

Anyone agreee or disagree??!! Would be great to hear.
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Hull4000
Looking at the What Car Depreciation index and comparing the A3 1.6FSi with the Golf 1.6S, the A3 costs £15,360 from new and will be worth £9,099 in 3 years time. The Golf is £12,975 new but will be worth only £6,235 after 3 years.

So if you are one of those people who buy a new car every 3 years (and assuming new car prices are steady), it will cost you £6,261 to replace the Audi but £6,740 to replace the Golf. After the initial outlay it seems that the Audi becomes the better buy. Financially, you have made the sensible choice. The A3 is a better car - VW have made the mistake of downgrading their interiors to cut costs. Mercedes did the same and now realise that it had been a mistake. Perhaps VW will realise that one day.
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - midlifecrisis
How can VW downgrade their interiors further. My previous 2001 Passat had an interior that sounded like an artheritic skeleton. I've never hears so many creaks and rattles. And the dealer service......!!!
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - SteveT
Went to have a look at both the Golf and the A3. TBH, I was quite disappointed with the interior of the A3 - didn't think the plastics looked that much better than the Golf. Maybe I expected too much but I didn't think the A3 felt that much more special. The A4 was a different matter though. I think it'll come down to the kind of deal you can get. The Golf seems overpriced but I'd guess there's more chance of getting a decent discount or part-ex than from Audi. Still, if the Audi residuals hold up that much better it would still probably bet better value.
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Cardew
As Kipling said:-

"But the Colonel's lady and Judy O'Grady are sisters under the skin."
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Anglesey Ian

Didn't he also say that he makes exceedingly nice cakes as well Cardew ?

AI
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - alex
midlifecrisis writes "how can VW downgrade the interior [of Golf V] further ? "

I read that VW went for a cheaper cabin for Golf V in order to offset the cost of its more sophisticated suspension system compared with previous Golf models.
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Malcolm_L
Perception is reality - the majority of folks buying Golfs aren't interested in the sophisticated suspension set-up.

The cheap cabin and the price will stifle sales of the new Golf, especially when people take a look at the likes of the Mazda 3, new Focus, etc.

Ok, it's a Golf, that alone will sell the car for a while but I don't think it's sufficiently good at anything to sustain any sales drive - reliability maybe but it's too early to tell.

New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Dalglish
in case you missed my posting in other thread

see today 23feb04 telegraph opinion

www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml

Why new Golfs have free air-con
By George Trefgarne
(Filed: 23/02/2004)

Cars can tell you a great deal about the spirit of the times. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the VW Golf was the ultimate car for the man about town.

etc....
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Hull
Telegraph tosh of course - blaming the Golf's disasterous launch on the Euro. How are BMW, Merc and Audi doing these days?
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - daveyjp
Main problem with the A3 at the moment is it's only available in a three door version. I'll be more interested when the five door is released.
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Dalglish
Telegraph tosh of course - blaming the Golf's disasterous
launch on the Euro. How are BMW, Merc and Audi doing these
days?

>>

hull

similar stories in other papers.
for bmw, merc, etc. see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19453&...e
New Audi A3 vs VW Golf - Hull4000
Isn't the BMW 3 Series now outselling the Ford Mondeo. Also, the Euro factor applies across EC (except the UK, Sweden) - including the French, Italian and Spanish cars. Are they all having downturns?