classic car MOT,s - chris rabson
My1949 Roadster was manufactured with only one rear brake light,no seat belts or hazard warning lights.Does anybody know the rules?
Re: classic car MOT,s - Dwight Van-Driver
Chris

Go to your local library which should have a reference section and see if they have a recent copy of Stones Justice Manual. If so requirements under M.V. Con and Use Regs and R.V. Lighting Regs will be summarised as to what part is required on date of vehicles first use. If its a large Library it may even have these Statutory Instruments available.

Secondly any Garage offering M.O.T. I understand, operate from a D o T Official Testing Manual and items required outlined. Feel sure on this later point someone in 'The Trade' will advise so stand by.......
Re: classic car MOT,s - chris rabson
Thanks Dwight Van Driver I,m now ready for that test
Re: classic car MOT,s - John Slaughter
Yes, it pays to either check the rules, or have a clued up garage. Luckily, the place I take my minor is pretty good.

For example, the passenger seat back of the older 2- door Minors folds, but does not latch in the upright position. Although newer cars have to have a latch for an MOT pass, there is an exemption for older cars on this requirement. However, I've heard of Minor owners being asked by MOT testers to permanently fix these seat backs or have the car fail!

regards

john
Re: classic car MOT,s - David Millar
Seatbelts and hazards are easy. You don't need those. Nor do you need indicators if they were not fitted. I use only hand signals for turning on my 1932 drophead. Probably most other drivers are so puzzled about what I'm doing they back off automatically. I do, however, have two brake lights fitted from new and I suspect but someone else will no doubt confirm that two might be needed under modern regs.

Be aware too that some 1940s cars were fitted with a dip system that extinguished one headlight. One of my old Daimlers was refused an MoT because this did not meet the regs.

David
Re: classic car MOT,s - Phil Garner
Regrettably, few MOT stations are versed in the details of the manual and the test fee does not allow enough time to thoroughly research it. The lighting regulations are particularly difficult with many variations over time. it can also be the case that a car submitted for test in original condition will fail becuase the lights do not satisfy the exact wording of the testers manual.

In the case of my father's cars (Messerschmitts - see www.messerschmitt.co.uk) all UK supply models have an orange brake light with the rear flashers being red. Few testers will pass cars in this condition. My only advice is to find a testing station that is prepared to take the time to work with you to achieve the conditions set out in the manual. Try the classic car press for the odd dealer who has test facilities. After that your only alternative is to fit suitable (possibly temporary) additional lighting to suit the manual requirements. You could always do this after getting a fail ticket to avoid unnecessary expense.
As it was raining pm so house painting stopped, the below from my 1997 copy:

Seat belts: Reg 46 M. Veh (Con & Use) Regs 1986 - anchorage points and seat belts only applies to motor cars first used after 1.1.1965.

Brake stop lamp - Reg 18(1) R Veh Lighting Regs 1989, Schedule 1 and 12
Motor cars not required to be fitted if first used before 1.1.1936. If first used between 1.1.36 and 1.1.1971 does have to be fitted with one brake stop lamp on the offside of the vehicle. After 1.1.71 - two.

Hazard flashers - R V Lighting Regs 1989 Schedule 1 - appears not required to be fitted to a vehicle not required to be fitted with direction indicators. Vehicle first used before 1.4.1986. But then it goes into chapter and verse too long to gum up this site and bore readers.

If you can get a copy of the Regs read if you have 4 hours to spare.

Hope this helps. DVD
Re: classic car MOT,s - The Growler
Also how about a 1966 US import with combined stop and flashers in red, i.e. for a turn the opposite lamp shows red on braking while that indicating the turn flashes. I went to consider able expense on my Mustang to have the backup lights converted to orage flashers, but last week in London I saw an 'E' reg MUstang (same year as mine) with a valid tax etc, using the original red flasher.
Any wisdom out there on this one? I hated sacrificing the car's originality for what may have been a needless requirement.
Growler:

Brake stop lights - Shedule 12 Part 1 of the Regs.
Vehicle first used before 1.1.71 - one on offside. After this one on each side except central mounted ones (window) - Size no requirement - colour red.
Optionals any number (PartII) - caters for the dotted type?

Rear Indicators - Shedule 7
Mcar first used bet 1.1.36 and 1.4.86 - any arrangement of indicators so as to satisfy the requirements for angles of vizibility. After 1.4.86 one rear each side.
Size - No requirement listed.
COLOUR: 1st used before 1.9.65 - Red or Amber.
After 1.9.65 - Amber
Optionals - Not more than two each side - so 1 obligatory + 2 optionals seems to cater for the Christmas Tree flashers one sometimes sees - BUT
Indicator must flash at between 60 and 120 times per minute.
Seems you were right to go to Amber to save the hassle of having to prove date of first use on an imported car, which in its self is another question.

Rhhhoooooaaaaarrrrrh
Re: classic car MOT,s - The Growler
Looks like you're right. MAybe that Mussie I spotted was an earlier car but carrying a later UK registration. I should have checked the grille, that distinguishes the 64 1/2 and 65 -ers.

It is very easy to "date" any Mustang. Ford USA still provides a decoder book for all the VIN numbers, and even in some cases can produce original invoices and build-sheets depending on the factory where the car was built. (computerisation was just coming in at that time) Mine I know from this is a '66 Detroit-built car, allocated to Chicago area. It's fascinating to see the range of accessories the original purchaser ordered, and even more fascinating to note the whole thing cost under $4,000 on the road. Were those the days or what? But I digress, thanks anyway for taking the trouble for such a comprehensive reply.