'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - clett
I have a '95 Astra TD with the centre display that has clock, radio and outside temperature in the centre console above the radio.

The problem is the backlight bulb behind these has blown so they're all invisible. Is there a simple way of getting to this bulb (I'm not too fussed about the heater control bulbs), or is it a typical whole dash-out job just to change that particular bulb?

Thanks!
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - RoadDevil
Hi

There are two bulbs, they're very easy to change (unlike the ones behind the heater controls!). Remove the little rubber mat in front of the radio display, this just sits in place and you should be able to remove it with your fingers. When this is removed the two screws at the bottow of the radio display are revealed. Remove these and you can then manipulate the display out. The bulbs are twist in ones in a green holder, 2w I think from memory, Vauxhall part number: 93154898.

hope this helps!
PS, I could do you a descrition of the heater bulbs too, but it's a much longer task, would probably take a couple of hours if you've not done it before. I think I did this three times on my old Astra!
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - NormanB
Come on Road Devil!

I would ( and I'm sure others would be too) if you could share your experience with us.

All mine are out at the moment and I would appreciate benefitting from your hard earned skill.

Thanks in anticipation.
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - clett
Cheers for that, RoadDevil - phew, not as bad as I thought!

NormanB, it's been posted here before - I did a search earlier for it and was scared off even thinking about doing the heater controls!

Two methods here....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=71...2
Just had a look at that link, brings it all flooding back!!! I think it sounds worse than it is, depends on how brave you are generally with taking things to bits, etc. I think I followed the Haynes manual the first time, the pictures helped. I don't have the manual any more, it went with the car. I'm waiting for the inevitable when I have the same job to do on the Vectra that replaced the Astra.

My method for removing the air vents was to slip in two pieces of thin card on either side of the vent and them use a 6" steel rule between the pieces of card to lever the vent out without marking the plastic.
\'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - Dynamic Dave
RoadDevil, (or anyone else for that matter)

I have an MS Word document somewhere that explains in great detail (words & pics) how to change the display bulbs on a Vectra, if you want a copy?

Email mailto:dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - SpamCan61 {P}
Don't suppose you've got a word document for the same job on an Omega have you DD? I've just bought a second Omega for my daily commute; and the MFD backlight bulbs have gone. I susupect I'll just live with it; but it would be nice to know just how much hassle I'd be letting myself in for.
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - Dynamic Dave
Sorry Spamcan61, I don't I'm afraid. I'm sure this has been covered in the forum before though. I'll do a search later.
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - SpamCan61 {P}
No worries DD; I think I've read enough in the BR archive now to stop me even trying the job; I'll just get used to only knowing what station the radio is on at night; and during total eclipses.
If you do decide to be brave and do the heater too you'll need four 1.2w bulbs, vauxhall P/N: 9198599.

Good luck!
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - NormanB
Clett and Road Devil - thanks for the links and the tips.

Just have to drum the enthusiasm, the bulbs and a spare couple of hours.

Thanks again.
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - David Horn
Hmm... I looked at the four pages in the Haynes Manual explaining how to change the heater control bulbs and took it in to the dealer and argued with them... they agreed to do a timing belt change and the bulbs for a £100, which I thought was a pretty good deal. And they lent me a car for the day for free.
'95 Astra radio display bulb replacement - David Horn
And I just remembered that if you're feeling particularly bored, pushing and holding the two buttons while you're driving gives you a digital display of your speed in KPH.

Well, simple things please simple minds ;)