"Second hand car prices soar" - FoxyJukebox

From what I read many of these purchasers would prefer a new car but are happy with nearly new. Surely they would save money if they just hung on for a year or so-why the need to change unless their current vehicle is utterly clapped out? And it seems they are so desperate to change they are going for PCP deals on second hand cars? Goodness me.

I might or might not buy a new car next year. If it's a new one-I am going to be pretty easily persuaded to go electric( I have a garage and only do moderate local mileage). Plus-Can't see the value in buying a new petrol car if there's going to be a fight to find a petrol station in 8 years time

"Second hand car prices soar" - madf

As hybrid cars will be legally sold new till 2035 and there will be at least 10million ICE cars on the road after 2030, the notion that petrol will be unavailable is a little incorrect :-)

"Second hand car prices soar" - alan1302

I might or might not buy a new car next year. If it's a new one-I am going to be pretty easily persuaded to go electric( I have a garage and only do moderate local mileage). Plus-Can't see the value in buying a new petrol car if there's going to be a fight to find a petrol station in 8 years time

People need to understand that stopping petrol and diesel sales in 8 years time does not mean there will be no petrol/disel available either.

"Second hand car prices soar" - barney100

Apparently appx 7% of cars on our roads are EVs. Phevs are more numerous but the vast majority of cars are ICE. How will classic car owners get on when ICE cars are eventually banned?

"Second hand car prices soar" - brum

Lots of things are supposed to happen between now and 2035 apart from banning sales of new ICE cars.

e.g. No new gas fired boilers in new builds from 2025, that'll be interesting

This government will no longer be in power by the time all these bans are supposed to take place, unless the policies change and get delayed. The voter will have the final word. All thanks to princess nut nuts and the fanatical IPCC not helped by the nutters in Brussels.

When they talk about emissions warming the planet and citing the last 18 months as evidence (the world is on fire etc), nobody states that aviation, transport, heavy industries, etc have ground to almost a halt for the last 18 months due to covid, so I think man made emissions have been cut there, maybe those contrails do have an effect?

Build your houses out wood, live near a picturesque man planted scenery that is badly managed. Underinvest in water management. Play with fire.....

Australia seems to be able to manage most bush fires pretty well.

"Second hand car prices soar" - mcb100
‘Australia seems to be able to manage most bush fires pretty well.’

Apart from the ones that dominated headlines just before Covid struck? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Australian_b...n
"Second hand car prices soar" - madf

Lo about emissions warming the planet and citing the last 18 months as evidence (the world is on fire etc), nobody states that aviation, transport, heavy industries, etc have ground to almost a halt for the last 18 months due to covid, so I think man made emissions have been cut there, maybe those contrails do have an effect?

You obviously don't understand that processes in nature take centuries to start and once started keep going for decades. A minor two year interruption is hardly likely to cause more than a ripple.

Nature is not like PC games: you do not get instant reactions. There are HUGE forces and huge heat sinks (eg oceans ) involved: if stopping an ocean liner takes a long time, how long do you thnk it takes a planet 's oceans to cool?? Remember that the oceans weigh approx 1.35 x 10 to the power of 18 metric tonnes, So you need a prolonged temperature change over centuries to make a difference.

"Data from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) shows that the average global sea surface temperature – the temperature of the upper few metres of the ocean – has increased by approximately 0.13°C per decade over the past 100 years."

A 2 year delay due to Covid is insignificant.

Edited by madf on 10/08/2021 at 15:59

"Second hand car prices soar" - Galaxy

Oh, that's good!

My 14 year old second hand car will be worth more money, then!

"Second hand car prices soar" - John F

Depends on the second hand car. Curiously, WBAC will only give £150 (minus £49.99 transaction fee) for our valuable family X reg 155,000 mile Focus estate. And the valuation box just to the right of this thread hasn't got 'sufficient information' to give a value, despite my filling in all the details requested. I suppose they might only have given £100 a few weeks ago, which would indeed have resulted in 'soaring'.

"Second hand car prices soar" - Miniman777

Yes depends on the car.

Daughter's Mini Cooper S convertible (top spec) was valued by WBAC this time last year at £5875.

Today, the figure is £7400 - and in the 12 months I've had 2 calls from Mini dealers asking if I was interested in selling as they had customers waiting.