Sharan/Galaxy aircon problems - Ivor E Tower
Why is the aircon system on the Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra so problematic? There must be a reason for so many condensers, evaporators and compressors failing causing grief to owners like me, plus extended wait for replacement parts because of the high demand for them. Are there any checks that can be done to detect potential problems? Is it worth getting a precautionary gas top-up every year or 2?
With all the problems on the original vehicle, why didn't the aircon system get a complete update when the vehicles were extensively face-lifted in 2000?
Sharan/Galaxy aircon problems - Dave N
Why are they so problematic?

Simple really, cheap, poorly made components, poor design of the oil return path to the compressor, tight engine bay causing design restrictions. It hasn't stopped them selling well, so there must be plenty of satisfied customers out there.

For the facelifted versions, they changed the condensor and drier layout, to be incorporated into one unit, sadly, this wasn't successful and they've had numerous warranty claims for leaking condensors, sometimes within a few weeks.

There's not much you can do in terms of preventative maintenance, as most of the problems aren't related to low refrigerant. Best option is to buy a Previa or Shuttle.
Sharan/Galaxy aircon problems - Ivor E Tower
Trouble is that Honda seem alergic to fitting diesel engines - no diesel option for the Shuttle, and the Previa aquired a diesel too recently for me to be able to afford a used diesel version.
Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my Galaxy's system behaves itself, after nearly £1000-worth of warranty work after just 2 years - it packed up 3 weeks after I bought the car (used) and took 3 visits and nearly a month to sort out.