Golf brake problem - T3
Hello everyone - I've got a problem and I wonder if anyone can help me out with it.
I have a 1994 VW Golf Mk3 1.4CL with a recurring noise from the brakes. The problem is not when I press the brake, more when I don't or (especially) when I go round right hand turns - there is a squeal from the offside front. Not only that, but on rough surfaces, there is a loud clunking noise from the same area. When I press the brake, both noises dissappear. The fluid level is normal and I have no other problems.
I've had it in at my local garage about 8 times in the past few months where they have replaced the slides twice but, each time, the problem has resurfaced soon afterwards. A mate who knows a bit about VAG cars says that it could be misaligned spings in the brake assembly that is causing this to happen.
Can anyone help me before I take a can of petrol and a box of matches to the damn thing?
Golf brake problem - Halmer
Could it be a build up of rust around the edge of the disc?

I had a similar thing on a Tipo years ago and new discs cured the problem.
Golf brake problem - sean
Hello T3.

"when I go round right hand turns - there is a squeal from the offside front."

There's 2 solutions here mate.

1. Don't go round right hand turns. Sorry, It's my medication.

2. Have a look at the outer CV joint. This is the rubber booted joint just behind the disc. I'd be surprised if it's for this earth much longer. Sounds just like brake noises when it goes, too. Clunking over bumps. Put your steering on full lock and drive slowly around a car park. Hear it knocking? Try full opposite lock. Hear it now?

Let us know, my friend.
Oh I forgot.

Make sure it's nothing daft, like a tyre fouling a wing liner or mudflap or a loose liner on the RHS front.
Golf brake problem - T3
Cheers for your replies.

Halmer – The discs look alright to me (unlike the rear drums, which look pretty ropey) but that’s not to say that they (the discs) might not be warped. Would that be consistent with what I keep hearing?

Sean – I did try not turning right but, bar having a promising career in Nascar, it didn’t seem to work out for me… ;)
Seriously, I’ve been reading my initial post again and they way I described my problem it does indeed sound like a CV joint – sorry, my bad. I should have also said that, after fitting the second set of slides, the clunking noise has gone. I did your car park test today anyway and it passed no problem, there was no sound whatsoever. There doesn’t appear to be anything fouling or rubbing in the tyre/wheelarch/mudflap area, either. Yet the squealing noise remains.
The problem is this; the car drives fine for about 10 – 15 minutes at a steady 50 – 60 mph cruise. Then, generally after a little gentle cornering, there is a squeal from the offside front. As soon as I apply the brakes, it disappears. Roughly about 10 seconds later, it will reappear, again vanishing as soon as I (even gently) touch the brakes. I’ve driven the car for up to ½ hour with this happening, before jumping out to see what the brake temperatures felt like – both sides are consistent with each other and not too warm either. Nevertheless, the problem doesn’t seem to manifest itself until there is a little heat in the brakes.

I’m pretty much at my wits end – any other suggestions?
Right T3, we've got to solve this then. It would be driving me nuts.

Now then, correct me if I'm wrong but you have single thickness discs on the front of your Golf, not the fancy ventilated ones?

You press the brakes and the pads get forced out of the caliper and onto the disc. The noise stops as you have solid contact and no free space.

When you release the brakes, the caliper piston seal retracts and releases the pad, but only pulls back minimally.

If you have any sort of vibration then, it would manifest as a squeal.

I would remove osf roadwheel.
Remove pads.
Smear Copaslip fairly lightly all over the metal backplate of each pad and check that there is a stainless steel plate (anti rattle washer plate) sitting in the hole of the caliper piston.

With the pads out, you are looking at the open end of a letter "U" on it's side. In the top of the "U" should sit the plate I'm on about. Is it there?

Do these and i think peace will now return.

Really you should do both sides of the car.