silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - concrete

Is it just me who feels that I have super magnetic bumpers on my car. They seem to attract following cars in an inescapable tractor beam!! Around here the roads are rural and potholed and 40 to 50mph is about the maximum safe speed. Not content with that most will bust a gut to catch up, then drive 12 feet behind not matter what the speed or conditions. Even when overtaking is safe and I slow down they doggedly stay there. Speed up to create a gap they close it again. It is so blatantly stupid as to be laughable. What are these people using for brains? Similarly on the motorway. I am in a support bubble with my elder brother who is being treated for cancer, so I have been to North Yorkshire twice in the past two months. Sections of the motorway are sometimes 4 and 5 lanes wide and the traffic at present is fairly light. I will drive along in lane 2 or 3 on this section doing about 65mph gradually overtaking HGV and slower vehicles. The number of idiots who drive up right behind me, tailgate me until I pull in then they are off like a shot from a gun. What on earth is that all about. There is at least one or two free lanes to my right in which to overtake but they seem oblivious to this. I seem to be the problem having the temerity to only be doing 65 or so in their very own lane. I despair. What goes through the mind of these idiots is anyones guess.

Feel better now, going for a lie down.

Cheers Concrete

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - Andrew-T

You could ever-so-gradually sloooowww down ..... :-)

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - Sofa Spud

Since the motoring press has irresponsibly branded lane-hogging as the worst possible traffic violation, impatient drivers have felt empowered to tailgate any "criminal" sitting in the lane in front of them, even if theyr'e only going 0.5 mph slower than them.

But if motorists are intimidated into becoming 'lane-hoppers' instead of 'lane-hoggers' we'll have lots more drivers switching lanes much more frequently/ That will lead to more accidents, more near misses, more road rage and more congestion than we have at the moment.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 17/02/2021 at 16:26

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - chris87
Let me guess: you’re one of those people who on a road with multiple lanes always drive in any other lane imaginable, but the one you should be in by law, which is the first lane. Am I right? :-)
silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - skidpan
Let me guess: you’re one of those people who on a road with multiple lanes always drive in any other lane imaginable, but the one you should be in by law, which is the first lane. Am I right? :-)

Can you not read. The OP says he is overtaking using lane 2 or 3. What is wrong with that?

Its the idiots tailgating him that are breaking the law.

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - chris87
When you overtake, move!!! It’s not breaking the law to briefly get over the speed limit ao you can return safely to your own lane!
silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - RT
When you overtake, move!!! It’s not breaking the law to briefly get over the speed limit ao you can return safely to your own lane!

It's is breaking the law - that may be legal in Spain but not in the UK - but hard acceleration during overtaking is the safest way to do it.

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - Metropolis.
This was my reaction as well initially, but in fairness he is overtaking lorries at 6mph (not a typo), so it is reasonable to stay in the 2nd or 3rd lane whilst overtaking at that steady pace. I would say go to the 2nd lane once past the lorry in that lane, but if there is a whole load of lorries on the horizon I too will sit in the 2nd lane overtaking them. If someone goes up to your bumper while you are clearly making progress in the overtake I support holding them where they are and ruining their day. Saw two lorries do this to a yobbo on a dual carriageway for a good 5 minutes once, made me LOL
silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - concrete

No chris, you are not correct at all. My point illustrates the idiocy of drivers who tailgate instead of using the free outside lane or lanes, then speed past when I pull in. I always travel in the left hand lane where possible and when overtaking I do it quickly and return to the correct lane. When there are 4 or 5 lanes available I see no harm in overtaking gradually in lane 2 or 3. If these tailgaters are prepared to accelerate past me when I pull in, why not use that acceleration to pass me on the outside lane? Instead they slow down and make a point of tailgating to show that I am clearly misusing their very own lane. Stupidity in extremis.

Cheers Concrete

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - Trilogy.

'What goes through the mind of these idiots?'

I thought it would be obvious concrete, quite clearly there's nothing!

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - primus 1

I read a few months back how people are “ forgetting “ how to drive due to being in lockdown, maybe we are witnessing this now first hand

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - bathtub tom

There is a type of driver who will decide which lane they're going to drive in and then stick doggedly to it, refusing to move left when able and slowing down for slower traffic in 'their' lane. They won't move right to overtake.

I've a relative who admits to doing this. I often see it demonstrated on the M25.

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - Ian_SW

Adaptive cruise control has made it much more common for people to mindlessly drive in one lane I think.

I've had it on a few hire cars, and could see exactly why people got lazy like that. It starts to back off just at the point when you want to pull out to overtake meaning it's much easier to just let it slow you down until the car in front speeds up or pulls back in. Even when the distance setting was on what I think Clarkson once referred to as "Full Audi", it still backs off very early and then creeps closer and closer to the car in front until you're much too close to have a chance of changing lanes unless there's very little traffic.

I quite like normal cruise control, but I actively avoided using this supposed improved version. I think the adaptive part can usually be switched off, not something I bothered to investigate down eight levels of menus on a hire car I didn't know....

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - Andrew-T

There is a type of driver who will decide which lane they're going to drive in and then stick doggedly to it,

It's the ones who drive at about 55 in the middle lane when there is no traffic to pass in the slow lane, that annoy me the most. When it becomes clear after about 20 seconds that they will not pull in, I sometimes pass in the slow lane.

What will autonomous vehicles do in that situation - either of them ?

silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - Metropolis.
I dont think an autonomous vehicle will sit in the middle lane at 55 without reason. Unlikely to go for an undertake though unless it is permitted by the software
silly driving behaviour, not new I suppose - skidpan

Adaptive cruise control has made it much more common for people to mindlessly drive in one lane I think.

I've had it on a few hire cars, and could see exactly why people got lazy like that. It starts to back off just at the point when you want to pull out to overtake meaning it's much easier to just let it slow you down until the car in front speeds up or pulls back in. Even when the distance setting was on what I think Clarkson once referred to as "Full Audi", it still backs off very early and then creeps closer and closer to the car in front until you're much too close to have a chance of changing lanes unless there's very little traffic.

I quite like normal cruise control, but I actively avoided using this supposed improved version. I think the adaptive part can usually be switched off, not something I bothered to investigate down eight levels of menus on a hire car I didn't know....

Don't agree at all, its no more likely to make a person stay in one lane than any other form of cruise control.

We have now owned 2 Skodas with Adaptive and the factory set position which leaves a large distance between you and the car ahead is positively dangerous when you, as an example, change lane to leave the motorway. If it senses a car ahead that in reality is at a safe distance it can unexpectedly brake heavily giving the person behind a coronary, but tis can also happen with an a non-adaptive car with the following distance radar. Best thing to do is to cancel it before moving to lane 1, problem solved. We have found in both cars that changing the setting to the closest following distance still leaves loads of space and is no way "full Audi", it leaves plenty of space for idiots to pull into. On the first Superb this could be done in the radio settings menu and was set there until you changed it, in over 3 years we never had to re-set ours. In the new Superb you have to change the setting on the stalk every time you turn cruise on, bit of a faff but you soon remember and it takes just 2 clicks of the small lever (you could do it this way in the first car if you chose to).

Adaptive is set up to prevent you overtaking on the left, if you are in lane 1 and it senses a car going slower in lane 2 it slows you down to their speed. Simple solution, move to lane 3 when safe and overtake legally.

On the Skodas its not possible to turn Adaptive cruise into normal cruise but on the Toyota RAV4 it was.

I could live with either system. On a long drive to Scotland with reasonable traffic normal cruise is fine but in heavy traffic adaptive is brilliant and when combined with DSG (as in the current Superb) it works right down to zero mph (in a manual it stops working at 30mph approx).