SEAT Ibiza - Forgot to send off my v5 after I buying used car - PLynT

First off, I am extremely embarrassed and feel like an idiot about this. I have no idea how to fix this and would appreciate any help on this matter.

In May 2018, I bought a used car from a dealer- paid via bank transfer. During the handover, I was given the V5C2/3/4 document and was told to use that to tax the car. I did that and have been paying taxes on the car ever since. I also obviously have been paying for insurance as well. However, I misread the V5C2/3/4 slip and forgot to send it off to DVLA. We recently moved houses and I realised that I was meant to send this form off 2 years ago...

How can I go about getting a registration certificate for the car that corresponds to my new address?

I apologise in advance for sound like an absolute tool but would greatly appreciate any help at all!!

SEAT Ibiza - Forgot to send off my v5 after I buying used car - thunderbird

However, I misread the V5C2/3/4 slip and forgot to send it off to DVLA

As the purchaser you do not need to send any of those slips to the DVLA. The V5C/3 should have been sent back by the previous owner when they sold the car, the V5C/2 should ahve been kept by you and not returned to the DVLA and the V5C/4 is only for when a car is scrapped or exported so again, nothing for you to do.

The new V5C is generated when the seller sends the old V5C back to the DVLA with the new keepers details on it in section 6 and the document is signed in section 8 by the seller and the purchaser.

Cannot see how you have done anything wrong really but failing to notify them of a change of address may count against you.

Example

Last December we bought a Fabia and the dealer sent the V5C back after we had both signed section 8. He gave us section 10 (V5C/2) to enable us to tax the car which we did using the salesman's PC.

For our PX he kept the whole of the V5C except section 9 which we both signed and said he would forward for us. I declined his kind offer and sent it myself after copying it, I wanted to be 100% sure it had been sent on the lead up to Christmas.

The new V5C dropped on our doorstep about 2 weeks later.

I am totally confuesed why they gave you the V5C/3, as above that should have been sent to the DVLA when the dealer acquired the car (preferably by the previous owner).

And equally confused how you have been taxing the car since that first time. The V5C/2 sand its reference number should only be able to be used once.

Hi there,

Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply to my post. After reading your post, I've realised that you were very much right! I should've have the V5C/3 or V5C/4. In fact, we never received a log book (which I was supposedly meant to receive 6 weeks after the purchase of the car).

I do believe we signed section 6 and the seller then tearing and handing me the page containing section 2/3/4. However, thinking that the logbook would arrive in 6 weeks- I completely forgot about it.

It may well be that the seller did submit section 1-8 and the log book never came through, or didn't submit it at all- I have no way of finding out..

I am also unsure how I managed to tax the car multiple times with the green V5C/2 slip- in fact I just used the details a couple of months ago to tax the vehicle! (???) and even have the confirmation email to evidence this.

I think we will try to get in touch with DVLA to figure out what to do as we don't have a log book and need to notify them about the change of address. Do you think it is a reasonable thing to do to contact them and ask for their advise- or if you might have any advise yourself?

or if you might have any advise yourself?

It needs to be done now.

With regards to notifying the DVLA of the change of ownership that is the responsibility of the dealer or in the case of a private sale the registered keeper (i.e. the seller), both have to send in the front page of the V5C (sections 1 to 8) to the DVLA filled in and signed by both the seller and buyer. There is a fine for not doing that but its the dealer/seller that gets that fine.

With regards to changing address that is your responsibility and again there is a fine for not doing it. According to .gov its up to £1000.

I can only presume the V5C must have been lost in the post either on its way to Swansea, on its way to you or even disappeared into a black hole within Swansea.

Your problem is the time since you bought the car and subsequently moved house. Will they believe you when its so long?

SEAT Ibiza - Forgot to send off my v5 after I buying used car - Ian_SW

The easiest fix would be to phone the DVLA, it must be a fairly common occurrence for people to realise they have lost the V5 when moving house. I know the OP hasn't lost the V5, but as far as the DVLA's system is concerned its effectively that as tax reminder letters have been coming through correctly.

I don't know how easy it is to get through to the DVLA at the moment, will depend whether they've managed to implement a home working equivalent of the call centre (some utility companies and banks have managed this, but not sure a government agency will have done!).

If getting through on the phone isn't possible, I think filling in the V62 form with the new address details and posting that off is all that is needed to meet legal requirements of telling the DVLA who and where the registered keeper is.

Would be a good idea to set up Royal Mail redirection from the old house as well (if not done anyway) to make sure any parking fines, speeding tickets etc get through before the DVLA manage to update their records, which is taking a while at the moment.

I know the OP hasn't lost the V5, but as far as the DVLA's system is concerned its effectively that as tax reminder letters have been coming through correctly.

Read the OP's 2nd post

I am also unsure how I managed to tax the car multiple times with the green V5C/2 slip

This confirms that the tax has been done by using the slip the seller gives the buyer that has the extra digit in the code to tax the car

And how have the tax letters been coming to the OP when they moved house and did not inform the DVLA.

SEAT Ibiza - Forgot to send off my v5 after I buying used car - Bromptonaut

The easiest fix would be to phone the DVLA, it must be a fairly common occurrence for people to realise they have lost the V5 when moving house. I know the OP hasn't lost the V5, but as far as the DVLA's system is concerned its effectively that as tax reminder letters have been coming through correctly.

If the reminders are coming through then yes, the Keeper's address is correct and the V5 is lost.

Alternatively, the OP may have set up a monthly or annual Direct Debit when taxing at the dealership. I think that's what I did with Roomster and again when replacing it with a Fabia.

Hi Skodalan,

Thanks for replying to my post! I have actually tried to ring DVLA last Friday, yesterday and today- but I think their phone lines are closed? I will be trying again tomorrow just to be sure.

Like mentioned above in my recent comment, I have now sent off the V62 but my concern is that its been 2 years since we bought the car- so I don't know what would happen and how DVLA would treat this.

Thank you :) we already have a redirection set up but nothing has came through yet but we have updated DVLA about the changes to our address in regards to my driver's licence a couple of weeks ago- which is also how I came to realise that I didn't have my V5C.

Hi thunderbird, thank you for your reply again,

After reading your initial reply, I spoke to my husband and went through some articles and we decided to send off a V62 form along with the green slip (new keeper details). Whilst filling in the V62 I looked up some details of the vehicle and noted that the last issue of the V5C was when the vehicle was sold as a new car (Feb 2014). So I assume that our V5C was never issued in the first place.

And yes, I understand that we were late in changing the address and are liable to a fine up to £1000.

SEAT Ibiza - Forgot to send off my v5 after I buying used car - Papiermache
What happened with this in the end? I’ve done the same thing, just about to send of the V62, did you put in the date you bought the car or the date you sent the form off?
SEAT Ibiza - Forgot to send off my v5 after I buying used car - sammy1

Presumably you taxed the car so you need to fill in the purchase date