Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - Kenneth Green

Hi

I am wondering what is the cheapest to run used car for under £5000?

When I say cheapest I mean in terms of very low Road Tax, Insurance Group, Maintenance costs and MPG also one that is known for reliability?

It seems a minefield these days unless you are car savvy.

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - alan1302

Hyundai i10

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - Andrew-T

There is savvy and savvy. You are welcome to ask this kind of question here, but with a little time and effort you could search this forum and see what answers earlier posers of very similar questions have received.

Always remembering that after the best possible advice it will be up to you (and your mates?) to search the web and/or your neighbourhood for examples, and choose the 'right' car. That may be the tricky bit.

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - Engineer Andy

Hi

I am wondering what is the cheapest to run used car for under £5000?

When I say cheapest I mean in terms of very low Road Tax, Insurance Group, Maintenance costs and MPG also one that is known for reliability?

You need to give far more requirements, such as annual mileage, usage type (lots of short trips from cold, decent length journeys [warmed up car], mix of both, etc), seating and load (incl. boot) requirements, how long you intend to keep it, how much you've set aside for annual costs like fuel, servicing, wear and tear maintenance (including tyres), VED, insurance (personal circs important), etc etc.

Poinless buying a cheap car if you can't afford to properly run in and look after it well. Too many people think only about the purchase price and not enough about what it takes to keep it in great nick and in-use costs over it's ownership life, plus saving up for its replacement.

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - paul 1963

My vote goes for the Peugeot 107 ( and it's Citroen and Toyota cousin's) son's got one and it really is a lovely little car, apart from servicing ( last full one cost him around £175.) it's had a set of discs and pads. doe a little research....it certainly meets all your criteria.

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - nellyjak

You can't always necessarily get ALL those things together.

BUT...for me, as soon as anyone mentions reliability..I always recommend having a look at the the Toyota Yaris.

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - gordonbennet

As above, 107/Aygo/C1 or Yaris, but none of them with MMT automated manual gearbox.

Sensible servicing is an aid to overall cheap running, do not stint on an annual engine oil and filter changes by trying to stretch it to two years or more.

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - SLO76
A question I’m currently trying to answer for a good friend. So far I’ve pointed them at the Honda Jazz 1.4, Toyota Yaris 1.33 and Hyundai i10, all of which are reliable and cheap to run but much comes down to what is available local to you. To date they favour the Yaris as it drives a bit better than the others but dithering saw the nice high spec example we found slipping through their fingers. If pushed and all things were equal condition and history wise I’d say the newer i10 your £5k would buy would be the cheapest thing you could reliably run on a £5k budget.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/11/2019 at 00:46

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - edlithgow

My Skywing.

But you wouldn't want it, (and can't have it anyway.)

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - madf

The biggest cost of a car is depreciation - especially teh first 5 years of ownership.. Assume you lose 75% of teh value in total.. So that is £3,750 for a £5k car or £750 per year. (and a lot more in teh first three years)

So the longer the car lasts..

and the better you look after it.

and the more careful you are about choosing one

Makes a HUGE differencee

(Oldest son always wanted a BMW against my advice. He bought a £5k one and spent over £1k on teh braking system in year 2....)

Basically ignore French German makes and Nissan our of the Japanese..

The biggest cost of a car is depreciation

Depends.

You seem to be assuming new purchase, but the title says "used car for under £5000"

If you go far enough under 5000, depreciation can be low or negligable.

To take an extreme example, I paid 15,000 NT for the Skywing (First Registered 1986). That was about 300 quid then (that's 7 or 8 years ago, and what with y'all's Brexit Brilliance in the interim its about 400 quid now) so depreciation is negligable.

Its taken a bit of fiddling to keep it going but I've only bought some some brake parts and a half-exhaust, though I need tyres now.

Admittedly this was more difficult to do under the famously anal UK MOT regime. I had some similarly priced bangers in the Yook but, with no off-street parking, if an MOT failure coincided with being short of time, they got scrapped.

I don't think I managed to keep any for more than 3 or 4 years.

Whether this approach is still viable in the UK I dunno, and I'm not much looking forward to finding out.

Most of the faults I see described on here afflict vehicle features I have never had and wouldn't much want.

The obvious alternative is to buy yourself out of the obligatory technotrap with an "affordable classic", if these still exist.

The up-front cost is of course much higher than low-tech bangers once were, so 5k may not be enough, but you should avoid the depreciation.

Edited by edlithgow on 29/11/2019 at 11:57

Cheapest to run used car for under £5000? - Ian_SW

£5000 is about the worst amount of money to spend on a car in my opinion. It's still a decent chunk of cash, but it only really buys a car which is already old enough to be playing the major fault lottery. To cap it off, it's below the price most main dealers or car supermarkets sell cars so the buyer is stuck with private sales or risking inadvertently buying from an Arthur Daley type used dealer.

If the OP is able to up the budget to £7-8000, that gets an 18 month old ex-hire Aygo, i10 etc from a car supermarket which should give many years of reliable use.

If £5k is the absolute maximum, I'd deliberately spend much less (perhaps £2k) on an older very common mundane car (Focus, Astra etc) and keep the rest in the bank for repairs or replacement should It fail. There's a pretty good chance the £2k car will be ok for a few years, and if something really expensive needs doing a couple of years down the line, the temptation to put good money after bad to keep it running is much less.

£5000 is about the worst amount of money to spend on a car in my opinion.

I'd agree, but as I pointed out above, the title says ""under £5000"" and the general assumption above that that means £5000 is revealing, consumer psychology wise.

£5000 does seem to be a reasonable sum if shopping in the classics market, though.

Quite a lot of "Top 10 Classic below £5000"" articles out there on the nyet, though of course the cars featured do tend to be at least fairly fancy/performance models. e.g. Porsche 924, SAAB 900 turbo.

There are probably some more mundane options that might be cheaper to run, e.g. Non-Cooper BMC Mini, and would still avoid depreciation.

DP, sorry

Edited by edlithgow on 29/11/2019 at 11:50