Volkswagen Golf - VW GOLF MK7 CLUTCH PLEASE - Radam87

Hi all

On my commute to work the clutch of my 2016 TDI 2.0 Bluemotion GT manual Golf would not fully disengage when released. The pedal moved halfway back to it's usual position but got stuck there.

I pulled into a side street 100 yards from work and turned off the engine. When I turned the engine back on it would no longer go into gear at all.

With the engine off it will go into gear but is stuck in that position if you turn the engine on.

The car is 3 years old with full VW service history. Always been driven sensibly. Occasionally parked on hill if that makes any difference.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be and if it is likely an expensive repair?

Also is it a common issue?

Thanks in advance.

Volkswagen Golf - VW GOLF MK7 CLUTCH PLEASE - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly, there is no such thing as a cheap repair on a modern car . However if the fault is with the hydraulics inside the car , then this will be cheaper than if the fault is with the clutch mechanism within the gearbox.

It's getting towed to VW tomorrow so hopefully will find out the issue soon.

Volkswagen Golf - VW GOLF MK7 CLUTCH PLEASE - Big John

Hopefully it's the master cylinder(cheap and easy) but I'm afraid it's probably the slave cylinder which on the 2.0 diesel is a concentric one buried in the gearbox bellhousing which will involve the removal of the gearbox. Sometimes a clue can be clutch/brake fluid dripping from the bottom of the gearbox bellhousing (not always!)

Took it in for diagnostics at £75 - no fault found to explain the clutch. A leak was suspected despite reservoir levels being within limits, however no leaked fluid could be identified on any of the components.

A further hydraulic test was then advised and undertake (£105) to check for any leaks. Still no evidence found.

The next step suggested was to replace the slave or master cylinder. They have suggested replacing the cheapest first for which (over the phone) I was quoted £500 in total. They said that the other would need to be replaced if not as they could not tell which if any was faulty.

What causes these to fail at such low milage (I saw multiple cases listed on the car's review page at criminally low milage)? Should the dash indicate such a fault when it occurs?

Edited by Radam87 on 05/11/2019 at 19:27

Volkswagen Golf - VW GOLF MK7 CLUTCH PLEASE - galileo

To stick you with £180 bills for failing to find the fault on a car with FSH and only just out of warranty is a disgrace.

As you have found other cases on the car review page it may well be a common fault, which VW and their dealers are aware of and try to avoid paying for.

This may be a design or random manufacturing problem, should not happen on such a young vehicle with he benefit of 'reliable German engineering and quality control'

They have advised replacement of the Master Cylinder (without stating why). Everyone else I've asked seems to suggest problems with the Slave are more likely. I feel like I am facing the prospect of a huge bill with the potential for the fault not be fixed until all other possibilities are exhausted.

The experience has put me off VW completely. I never expected parts to fail so soon after the warranty had expired and at such low milage. I never questioned the reliability of their cars before but this is a hard and expensive lesson.

Volkswagen Golf - VW GOLF MK7 CLUTCH PLEASE - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Unless there is visible hydraulic fluid leakage then it's a toss up between master cylinder and slave cylinder failure. The symptoms are identical in my experience. Not a common fault but experienced it 3 times in 50 years of driving . As said above, the master cylinder replacement may be easier and cheaper. Find a trusted local garage and ask for a quote if the car is driveable.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 06/11/2019 at 20:54

Unfortunately for me, easier and cheaper may be a false economy if it is less likely to fix the problem (I know John and others have suggested the Slave is more likely).

I have received the quote for the Slave cylinder replacement(£996).

However, the VW and the Master Technician has advised the Master cylinder be replaced first at a cost of £508. Hopefully this is based on my best interests and the likelihood of it fixing the problem.

As the clutch went during driving without warning it could have been quite dangerous so we really need this fixing properly. If it's likely to happen again, I will 100% be getting rid of the car.