MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - colin-e
Its seems to be that MOT testing stations now place a sticker on your windscreen with the date that the next MOT test is due.

Is it a legal requirement to leave this sticker in place, or can you just peel it off? Its not a particularly attractive addition to any vehicle!

It seems a great idea, so the authorities can see at a glance that a car has a current MOT, but what happens next year when all cars have this sticker in place? Will the colour be changed?

In addition to these changes, is there any truth that the cost of an MOT is spiralling to an excess of £50? How expensive can a sticker be!?!?
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Altea Ego
not a requirement as far as i know...........
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Rob the Bus
As far as I know, these stickers are merely a courtesy. Also, of course, a remimder to use the same garage again! They don't have any legal status.

By the way, I hope that this rumour you have heard about MoT's going up to £50 is a false one!
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Drivethru
When I had my MOT done a few weeks ago the mechanic said that it was now a legal requirement to place the sticker in the top right hand corner of windscreen. He thought it was a stupid idea as the garage sends out reminders anyway. He said do what you like with the sticker but we have to fit them.

MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - martin
the garage has to fit them, but i do not think it is yet law that you, the owner have to keep it in place, you can peel it off. Be careful though, when and if this becomes law it will be an effective way of seeing at a glance who has their MOT or not. In france we have the CT sticker because there is no road tax, also you have a sticker from you insurer which is small and discreet, the police can therby verify that you are all above board at a glance.

To be honest, i think these stickers are a good idea, there are still too many people driving around without insurance. If they thought that like the road tax sticker, it was easily verifiable by traffic police and ticket wardens then may be they would take out a policy just for peace of mind. I know i have risked the odd journey without insurance (foolishly i admit), but i would be less likely to do so if a copper could pull me over by just looking at my windscreen.

Bearing this in mind, a friend of mine was pulled over on Xmas day last year and when he failed to show his insurance papers at the local police station within 2 months (or whatever it is) he was taken to court and charged £850!!! for driving without insurance, which is what he was doing! Stupid!
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - martint123
Caution, this points to a largish PDF file, so I\'ve snipped a bit.

tinyurl.com/9qxg

We have been looking at introducing
MOT reminders for some time now. By
ensuring that as few people as possible
forget their MOT expiry date, VI
hopes to encourage more motorists to
get their vehicles tested on time,
thereby improving road safety and
protecting the environment.
They are not intended to act as proof
that the vehicle has an MOT and they
will not replace the certificate but will

We intended to introduce reminders
at the same time as the MOT
Computerisation service commenced.
As that has now been delayed, we have
decided to introduce windscreen
reminders as soon as possible. We are
therefore consulting with repres-
entatives of the trade over the design
and hope you will be able to issue
them to motorists early in 2003.

MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - PhilW
Just had one of these stickers put on our car (bottom left of windscreen!) but date on it is only readable from the inside. Wouldn't it be a good idea to make it readable from the outside, and while we are about it one for insurance as well, then it would be easy for police, traffic wardens etc to check i cars were taxeed, insured and MOTed - might get rid of some of these irresponsible so-and-sos who reckon they don't need any of these things
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Hugo {P}
My van got through its MOT today (finally) but I received no sticker.

Also Mark the Mod, another thing. I placed a thread on here last night, but it seems to have disappeared without trace. I was asking for help with the Brake problem with my Renault Trafic van. I didn't think that it would be considered so contravertial. I don't think I swore or used poor language!

Just to update it was sorted, eventually by the MOT test station. Excellent service by Taylors of Moreview Service Station, near Launceston in Cornwall. The MOT inspector/mechanic spent about an hour on it, the owner spent 1/4 of an hour. He charged me a fiver! It turned out that the load compensator had seized so they managed to free it up and the rear brakes passed.

Contact address and phone number for this garage will go onto another thread or elsewhere as Mark decrees.

H
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Dynamic Dave
Also Mark the Mod, another thing. I placed a thread on
here last night, but it seems to have disappeared without trace.

Hugo, I moved it to the Technical Matters Forum as it was a technical question rather than one for discussion.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=12...0

DD.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Marc
I hope they're not a legal requirement becuase I've recently peeled one off one of our cars. It was in the top right hand corner but was invisible on the outside due to the shading at top of windscreen.

Don't see how a handwritten sticker is going to be of any use. It's not unique and numbered like the MOT cert itself is it.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Hugo {P}
Hugo, I moved it to the Technical Matters Forum as it
was a technical question rather than one for discussion.

Thanks DD

Hugo
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - MichaelR
I had mine done last week. All I got was a certificate - no sticker or anything. Should I have got more?
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - jeds
I lived in Aussie a few years ago. There, the equivilant of the MOT was a Roadworthy Certificate. The Roadworthy was only valid for 31 days - just long enough to get your tax and insurance - and then it expires. not needed again until you need tax and insurance again. The tax and insurance is a sticker that sticks to the window in about the same position as our tax disc, except that they are absolutely impossible to remove - even when you want to to put in the new one.

Of course all this is far too simple for us Brits.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Rob the Bus
Well chaps and chapesses, I e-mailed the relevant department on 17 April and have only just got a reply now. How's that for Government efficiency? Oh well, at least I got a reply!

Anyway, here it is:

"Dear Mr Bucher

Thank you for your e-mail.

We had been looking at introducing MOT reminders, which could be stuck to a vehicle's windscreen, for some time. By ensuring that as few people as possible forget their MOT expiry date, we hope to encourage more motorists to get their vehicles tested on time, thereby improving road safety and protecting the environment.

All MOT testing stations have now been issued with sheets of self
adhesive MOT reminder stickers. Following a successful test, MOT testers will issue stickers to drivers to remind them when their next test is due. The stickers are designed to be placed inside the windscreen. These stickers are not intended to act as proof that the vehicle has an MOT and they will not replace the MOT certificate but will purely be a reminder of the expiry date.

Many of us lead increasingly busy lives and as a consequence some
drivers may simply forget to take their car for a MOT. The reminder sticker will help ensure this does not happen and those who fail to renew their MOT certificate will no longer have such an excuse. Although the stickers are not compulsory and may be removed at the driver's discretion, their use is supported by the Motorists' Forum, trade groups and the Association of Chief Police Officers.

In answer to your second question, there are no plans to increase the MOT test fee for a car to £50. We are in fact in the process of consulting on the proposed fee increases for the period August 2003 to July 2004. I will send you a copy of this document for your information. I should point out, however, that the MOT test fee is a maximum rather than a set fee. Many garages choose to discount the test fee in the hope of attracting more business.

Yours sincerely

Chris Curson
Licensing Roadworthiness and Insurance Division"
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Martin800
The letter you posted from Chris Curson was very informative. I wonder if I could have his email address please as I have a query on a separate but slightly related subject - my friend has had an accident and has just now realised that his MOT expired a month before the accident. A genuine mistake - he's normally very conscientious about these things.

What my friend needs to know is if this invalidates his insurance, and I'd like to put this question to Mr Curson.

(unless any else has a definitive answer to this question??)

Regards
Martin
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Mark (RLBS)
>>What my friend needs to know is if this invalidates his insurance,

In short there is *NO* definitive answer because it depends on the specific motor insurance policy and the circumstances of the accident, including the condition of the car.

It does not invalidate your insurance per se USUALLY. You need to read his specific insurance policy (schedule & endorsements, NOT certificate). It usually says that the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy condition. Occasionally it can specify MOTs, but usually not.

What will cause him grief is if the car was unroadworthy and would not have passed an MOT test.

If the car is not badly damaged I would get the thing MOT'd now and see what you're dealing with. If it sails through, with the exception of anything caused by the accident (bust lights etc.) then I would just come clean with the insurer and tell them.

If it would have failed its MOT then its more difficult and more serious. It is then a matter of whether or not there was something about the vehicle's unroadworthiness that either made the accident more likely, or more serious.

Even then, it does not invalidate the insurance, as such. What it does is give the insurer the right to recover their losses directly from the insured person. In practice, this means that they would not pay out for damage to the policyholder's own car, but will pay out for any third party damage and/or injury. Whether or not they then try to recover this depends on the circumstances, amount, and chances of success.

If this is a serious accident, either involving substantial accidental damage or third party injury, then this website is insufficient and he/she shoud get off to the nearest solicitor experienced in this stuff - and that will not be the guy who did your conveyancing.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Stuartli
>>Many garages choose to discount the test fee in the hope of attracting more business.>>

Now there's a very informative piece of information...:-)

The first MOT my Bora required whilst in my ownership was a year ago - I got a blue windscreen label which the tester placed on the screen in the top left hand corner at my request (to save blocking vision). He stated it had become compulsory to put them on the screen.

A week ago the same National garage again did the annual MOT but no label was forthcoming.....:-) I forgot to ask why; perhaps it was felt that the existing one was sufficient, especially as it will prove a devil of a job to get off the screen.

Its reminder about the MOT being due (plus the half price offer again) was sent about three weeks before the old certificate ran out.

You can get a half price offer yourself if you print off the voucher from National's website as well as find out your nearest centre; those with a Tesco ClubCard also get points...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - smokie
"those with a Tesco ClubCard also get points" or you can use your points to pay for your MOT at National. If you are ClubCard Plus then about a tenner's worth of points pretty much pays your MOT. Much better value than cashing them in at the store...
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Stuartli
PS

Both the National centres I use employ very conscientious and through technicians - even a basic oil and filter change is done with great care whether undertaken by the youngest or oldest member of staff.

General conversation with staff whilst they are about their work on my car reveals that they all take, surprising in view of past experience at other outlets in the past, a pride in their work and a keeness to ensure overall customer satisfaction; comforting to know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Cliff Pope
Mine was stuck at the top of the screen, on the right. It is in the sun-sensitive shaded portion of the screen so is completely invisible from outside the car.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Pugugly {P}
They can only be read from the inside of the car. They are written in biro and are not tamper proof in any way so don't get hung up on any legalities.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Imagos
The last MOT I got the sticker was stapled to the certificate!

It's still there now.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - martint123
I've never had one and I get three MOT's a year.

MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - SlidingPillar
To make said stickers compulsory, you would have to change construction and use regulations - and there would be a hell of a hoo har from the vintage fraternity.

Because you would have to make windscreesn compulsory!

I've got one car that has no windscreen, and another which has a removable one. Quite legal.

Having said all that, a sticker is a good idea as it does help prevent folk forgetting. However my nice local firm posts me a reminder every year. They don't have to, but in my opinion it is better.
MOT stickers issued by MOT stations - Dwight Van Driver
Had my trundle truck MOT"s yesterday and again now have in the front top nearside of front windscreen, one and half inch square see through sticker with the three blue triangles on it and date for next one, readable from inside only. Is this size etc universal?

Not aware that these are covered by any legislation yet.

As you lot are an enquiring bunch I offer the following:

tinyurl.com/5687k

which is Explanatory Notes to the Act brought in to cover computerisation of MOT system. Typical Labour - all promise and no action as only parts of the Act have received a Commencement Order, last as far as I am aware being 11.4.2003. (SI 1095)

DVD