Problem with car - return or repair - jonnyjjbean

Purchased a used car over the phone a couple of weeks ago which was delivered with a problem (it occasionally jumps / stutters when accelerating).

I have a 3 month Gold RAC warrenty with it, and the garage are telling me to just go through that to get it fixed but I am:

a) concerned the fact the car was delivered with a fault
b) worried my warrenty may not cover the issue (electrics for example are not covered)
c) worried if my max claim of £100 is possibly a problem.

The issue I have is that if I wanted to "reject" the car under distance selling rights I have only 2 days to do that but I can't get my car looked at until after then. The only thing I've had done is rea dthe error codes which come up with nothing.

Any thoughts?

Problem with car - return or repair - skidpan

The issue I have is that if I wanted to "reject" the car under distance selling rights I have only 2 days to do that but I can't get my car looked at until after then. The only thing I've had done is rea dthe error codes which come up with nothing.

Any thoughts?

Under the consumer act 2015 you have 30 days to reject for a full refund and you don't have to even give them the chance to fix it. Go on-line to the Which site and down load the proforma rejection letter and follow the isntructions exactly.

Problem with car - return or repair - Bromptonaut

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repai.../

I've booked it into a local garage for diagnosis, but just found out RAC don't pay for diagnostic fees only to repair the problem. The selling garage should fund this surely?

Problem with car - return or repair - Miniman777

Gold warranty, doesnt cover electrics ? Tarnished already then? To many aftermarket warranties with more holes than a colendar.

I always feel for people who know little about cars, swallow the warranty hype, then find themselves facing a big bill because someone has the perfect exclusion clause to worm out of the claim. And the victims are usually those on low income and least afford the repair costs.

Reject the car if within 30 days.

Problem with car - return or repair - NARU

I've booked it into a local garage for diagnosis, but just found out RAC don't pay for diagnostic fees only to repair the problem. The selling garage should fund this surely?

The problem is that you've now got multiple parties involved. Too easy for each to blame the other.

The problem is that you've now got multiple parties involved. Too easy for each to blame the other.

Not sure I follow- how can this be anyone elses fault but the original selling garage?

Problem with car - return or repair - RobJP

You asked for advice, and were given it. And it was good advice, too.

You then proceeded to completely ignore that advice, and booked the car in with a different garage.

I'm not sure why you even bothered asking for advice in the first place.

Problem with car - return or repair - nellyjak

I'm sure by now you are also questioning the wisdom of buying a vehicle in the manner you did..?

If not...you should be.

I'm sure by now you are also questioning the wisdom of buying a vehicle in the manner you did..?

If not...you should be.

Certainly.

Not so much in the picking up the issue during a test-drive as it may not have exhibited the issue then, but definetly in so much as taking it back for repair would have been much easier...

Edited by jonnyjjbean on 05/02/2018 at 19:30

You asked for advice, and were given it. And it was good advice, too.

You then proceeded to completely ignore that advice, and booked the car in with a different garage.

I'm not sure why you even bothered asking for advice in the first place.

The advice being to return the car?

Problem with car - return or repair - RobJP

The advice being to return the car?

Yes.

Problem with car - return or repair - FP

"The problem is that you've now got multiple parties involved. Too easy for each to blame the other.

Not sure I follow- how can this be anyone elses fault but the original selling garage?"

Local garage: "We have tested the car and believe XYZ to be the problem."

Selling garage: "We don't accept the local garage's diagnosis and we aren't going to pay for it anyway. Either get the RAC to sort it or return the car to us for repair at your own cost - of course it's now too late to reject it."

As others have implied, you are being a bit naive about the whole thing and perhaps only now understand why you were given the inital advice you got here. It also highlights the potential problems with buying a car that (I assume) was not being sold at all locally.

Edited by FP on 05/02/2018 at 21:23

Problem with car - return or repair - Wee Willie Winkie

As I understand it, an after market warranty is there to cover faults that develop after purchase, not faults that were there when the car was sold.

Problem with car - return or repair - pd

I think you need to establish (a) whether there is something definately wrong with the car and (b) get some sort of independent verification that there is something wrong, that it is significant enough to warrant a return and ideally what it is- even if you have to pay for that.

If you simpy return it what do you do if the seller simply says "we've looked at it, there is nothing wrong with it, collect it Thursday or we start charging storage"?

You've admitted yourself in another thread you're not even sure there is anything wrong with it.

Problem with car - return or repair - Avant

As I ventured to suggest in your original thread, have you tried coming out of a roundabout in second rather than third? If so, does it still hesitate / jerk?

This car is new to you, and it's easy to see some things that may be differemt from your old car as faults. This may be a characteristic of the Mazda 2-litre which is known not to have much low-down torque.

This car is new to you, and it's easy to see some things that may be differemt from your old car as faults. This may be a characteristic of the Mazda 2-litre which is known not to have much low-down torque.

Took it to a local garage yesterday and it took them less than 30 seconds to agree it seem there is a problem with engine misfire.

Problem with car - return or repair - SLO76
“Took it to a local garage yesterday and it took them less than 30 seconds to agree it seem there is a problem with engine misfire.”

It’ll most likely be a coil pack failing then. A simple fix that won’t cost the world and the supplying dealer should be able to do it quickly. A common issue on these engines but nothing to worry about or justification for rejecting it. I sold an MX5 that came back with the same issue and I had it back to the customer by the next day. He’s still got the car 4yrs later and delighted with it. The customer never for one second suggested rejecting it and is certainly glad he didn’t after years of reliable service from a car that cost less than £2,000.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/02/2018 at 09:19

“Took it to a local garage yesterday and it took them less than 30 seconds to agree it seem there is a problem with engine misfire.” It’ll most likely be a coil pack failing then. A simple fix that won’t cost the world and the supplying dealer should be able to do it quickly. A common issue on these engines but nothing to worry about or justification for rejecting it. I sold an MX5 that came back with the same issue and I had it back to the customer by the next day. He’s still got the car 4yrs later and delighted with it. The customer never for one second suggested rejecting it and is certainly glad he didn’t after years of reliable service from a car that cost less than £2,000.

I agree and I've already told them if that's all it is then I would preffer to keep it - what I don't want to do is go through the warranty if possible becasue they are already saying they may not cover it as it sounds like wear and tear and not a catastrophic failure, plus there is no guarantee that's the cause.

hopefully they can just pay for a mobile mechanic to do the job, surely it's less than an hour's time which is less than a collection / return.

Problem with car - return or repair - FP

"hopefully they can just pay for a mobile mechanic to do the job..."

Nothing wrong with being hopeful. I'd be interested to know whether it actually happens, though.

"hopefully they can just pay for a mobile mechanic to do the job..."

Nothing wrong with being hopeful. I'd be interested to know whether it actually happens, though.

Hopefully they see that as a fair option to having it returned. Not really happy having to mess around getting a car fixed that was delivered with a problem; if this happened a month down the line it would be different.

Pretty sure the consumer rights act dictates a seller is liable for compensation by way of repair costs if something is delivered faulty...

“what I don't want to do is go through the warranty if possible becasue they are already saying they may not cover it as it sounds like wear and tear and not a catastrophic failure”

Don’t let them fob you off with rubbish like this! A coil is not a wear and tear item. It’s an electrical component that has failed and must be replaced at their expense or you’ll contact trading standards. Don’t accept any excuses here. I replaced the coil on that MX5 without quibble and it wasn’t a great cost. Be polite but firm, the law is on your side here.
“what I don't want to do is go through the warranty if possible becasue they are already saying they may not cover it as it sounds like wear and tear and not a catastrophic failure” Don’t let them fob you off with rubbish like this! A coil is not a wear and tear item. It’s an electrical component that has failed and must be replaced at their expense or you’ll contact trading standards. Don’t accept any excuses here. I replaced the coil on that MX5 without quibble and it wasn’t a great cost. Be polite but firm, the law is on your side here.

Thank you!

I've told the selling garage that I am happy to have my local garage take a look and if it's the coild/plugs and can be easily repaired that's great, but I want assurance that if RAC play up I won't be left out of pocket and asked them to commit to covering the costs if that turns out to be an issue.

I'm sure the garage would fix themselevs if I drive up but that's going to cost me a tank of fuel and take 5 hours of my time which considering the issue was there at the point of delivery, I don't see as very fair...

“I'm sure the garage would fix themselevs if I drive up but that's going to cost me a tank of fuel and take 5 hours of my time which considering the issue was there at the point of delivery, I don't see as very fair...”

That’s the trouble with buying from a distant dealer. However it’s not their fault that you live so far away and there’s no obligation on them to pay more for someone else to fix it or to cover your fuel costs. Perhaps a contribution to cover the amount it would’ve cost them to buy a new coil pack trade cost would be a good compromise and that’s probably what I’d do but you can’t expect them to cover your other expenses. Put it to them and see. If the car was doing it when they delivered it however they should be more generous however a coil can fail instantly and it may have driven perfectly on route only to fail when you started it for the first time after delivery.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/02/2018 at 11:22

it’s not their fault that you live so far away and there’s no obligation on them to pay more for someone else to fix it or to cover your fuel costs.

No it's not their fault that I chose to buy a car so far away but it is their fault that they delivered a car with a problem.

Thankfully they are being cooperative and are happy to liase with my local mechanic and have offered to foot the cost if it is indeed a single coil at fault.

There may be no legal onus on them to foot the bill but a return doesn't suit either party and I think most good garages would agree it's unfair to expect a customer to foot the bill for returning a car that was delivered with a fault.

Anyway, it's being looked at tomorrow, fingers crossed it is just the a coil and I can enjoy my new car.

“Thankfully they are being cooperative and are happy to liase with my local mechanic and have offered to foot the cost if it is indeed a single coil at fault.”

Good on them, they’re acting to correct the problem and going beyond what many dealers would do, most would simply tell you to bring the motor back to them for diagnosis and repair. These are genuinely very good big cars. I’ve owned, bought and sold a fair number over the years without anything more than a sticky brake calliper to shell out for. I really rate them. Robust, good to drive and surprisingly decent on fuel. Hopefully the rest of your ownership goes well.
“Thankfully they are being cooperative and are happy to liase with my local mechanic and have offered to foot the cost if it is indeed a single coil at fault.” Good on them, they’re acting to correct the problem and going beyond what many dealers would do, most would simply tell you to bring the motor back to them for diagnosis and repair. These are genuinely very good big cars. I’ve owned, bought and sold a fair number over the years without anything more than a sticky brake calliper to shell out for. I really rate them. Robust, good to drive and surprisingly decent on fuel. Hopefully the rest of your ownership goes well.

Yes they are being very accomodating. Itw as one of teh reasons for chossing a garge with a good rep - even though it meant paying more than the same car at other dealers.

Turns out is was just a bad spark plug, cracked all down the side.

The car is running much nicer now.

Glad I didn't take the advice to reject the car... :)