Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - Radam87

Hi all

I currently have 20K in savings. The bulk of this is for a house deposit.

I'm likely to need a new car before a house (as I'm not sure on area etc. yet and may buy at the end of the year or next year).

Ideally I would buy a house before, assess finances, and then buy a car. However, I'm likely not going to be in this position till the end of the year.

Would you recommend total financing (which will affect mortgage loan) or put a chunk of current mortgage savings in to buying a car and try to get an interest free car loan if any good ones are about? Or should I try to stick with current car until the house is purchased next year?

A bit complex. But any advice is appreciated.

Edited by Radam87 on 06/01/2018 at 11:47

Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - fredthefifth

Suggest you try the Money Saving Expert forums.

Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - Manatee

What are your criteria for 'need' of a new car?

From your later question, keeping the old one seems to be an option. From a financial point of view, that is almost certain to be cheaper even if it needs repairs. It will also preserve your house deposit and leave you with a higher disposable income to put on the mortgage application.

Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - JimmyV

House first, car next. The former is a more serious and bigger purchase.

If you already own a car it is bordering stupidity to change it before house

Edited by JimmyV on 10/01/2018 at 00:55

Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - daveyK_UK

Unless it’s about to give you an expensive failure
Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - JimmyV

Unless it’s about to give you an expensive failure

Yes. But op did not say anything about that.

Op, it is not true that it is impossible to get a loan after mortgage. I got 25k right after my mortgage. You should try zopa etc(3 percent)for low rates. Best resource for this is money saving expert . Their forums are very good.

Assuming this house is going to be your home-you will spend considerably more time there than your car. I would get the best house I can get.

Edited by JimmyV on 10/01/2018 at 09:59

Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - barney100

House should be the priority. Bangernomics may be a short term solution!

Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - argybargy

Deleted because it was twaddle.

Edited by argybargy on 10/01/2018 at 16:19

Volkswagen Golf - Car Finance - Best Options? - confusedbuyer

I was in a similar position

I think it depends on your financial situation. For me, the cost of the finance repayment did relatively little to my mortgage position as I am maxxed on LTV % and therefore my income could get more of a mortgage maximum than I could get a deposit together for, or indeed need.

I suggest you get an idea of how much you want to spend on a house, what LTV rates are available to you and what this means on your annual income. It may be the case that you need say, £15k deposit, and its a 10% LTV rate and your income even with a £200 PCP will be fine and would support a £150k house - I would play around with the loan repayment section on things like natwest mortgage calculator to see how it affects you.