brake pad material - HandCart

If Concrete's thread about models' reliability refers to a certain 'Index of Reliability', then I went and had a quick (refresh) look.

Some of it IS a bit odd though - I mean, I wouldn't have thought there were vast numbers of Chevy Kalos and Tacumas running about - maybe their owners don't make claims because they hardly ever use their cars?
Similarly there's not many Rover 25s about these days.

But I did note that the No. 1 worst score was for a BMW M5.
The bad scores for prestige vehicles will be strongly swayed by the extortionate prices charged for parts and labour for these cars.

In fact just the other day I heard of a chap I know who's recently got a 2015 M5. Subsequentlly, just out of idle curiosity, he'd been looking at the prices for replacement brake pads.

For a set of pads for the front axle (just the pads, no fitting), it appeared it would cost £500 even for ones sourced from eeebaigh.

Just what, exactly, are those pads made out of, that makes them cost that much?

brake pad material - oldroverboy.

ceramic.. and will probablu need discs too...

brake pad material - RaineMan

If they are like a friend's Porsche they have to be introduced to the ECU so I am sure they vharge an arm and a leg for the electronic senor, or whatever it is, with the pad!

brake pad material - brum

I believe ceramic pads last much longer than traditional pads, they also produce virtually no dust/particulates.

Edited by brum on 20/05/2016 at 14:40

brake pad material - slkfanboy

I don't think they are ceramic on the M5, I have a feel that a set of front cost around £500 fitting for a set of Mintex pad, due to the Size and demand