Chrysler Grand Voyager - Overheating - dazkem71

HI All

I have a chrysler grande voyager 2.8crd stowaway, a week ago i was advised i had a hole in my rad, which i couldnt afford to fix at the time, the garage gave me a radweld type stuff, i followed the instructions and now the water isnt leaking out (reservoir is full) but the temp goes up to the red, when at traffic lights it goes down to half away (after an 8 mile journey)

I have been advised that i could have an air block and that i can release it,but no idea how?

Im also concerned i may have damaged the thermostat or pump using this radweld type of stuff

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Overheating - Peter.N.

It sounds more likely that you cooling fan/s are not working. Get that fixed and if it then runs OK fit a new radiator and flush the cooling system out, remembering to fill it up with new antifreeze.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Overheating - Oli rag

Filling and bleeding cooling systems varies from car to car and can be difficult.

Start with a cold engine and the coolant filled to the normal level. Leave the filler cap off and run the engine until it's warm - keeping a close eye on the level and topping up as necessary, then refit cap.

It can be much more involved than this and it would be worth looking to see if there's an owners forum with specific information.

Don't continue to use the car with the temp going in to the red, as the head gasket or head itself may be damaged.

As stated above get the fans checked out.

From my younger days, when i used radweld a number of times, thermostats and pumps were not affected.

How times have changed, my first car had neither thermostat or even a water pump!

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Overheating - madf

How times have changed, my first car had neither thermostat or even a water pump!

So did my Riley Nine (1929). It had a coolant system taking around 3 gallons of water ! Lots of antifreeze..

1939 Ford Prefect, wipers stopped when you put your foot down!

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Overheating - galileo

1939 Ford Prefect, wipers stopped when you put your foot down!

So did Consuls and Zephyr/Zodiacs until 1962 when the MkIII version had electric wipers. I think the side valve 100E small saloons also had vacuum wipers, 105E Anglias were electric.

I didn't know they used them as late as that. At least they didn't have transverse springs and rod brakes.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Overheating - 547HEW

I had a 1966 Ford Thames 400E and got fed up with not being able see well in the wet. Went straight out and bought the electric wiper motor for the Diesel version - did another 95,000 miles it so got my money's worth!

Chrysler Grand Voyager - Overheating - VPjr
Dazkem71

Did you ever get to the bottom of this and fix it?

I have had the exact same thing happen, it's taken a couple of months since adding the rad weld, but now goes to red line and light on as soon as you go over 50 mph or put your foot down a bit.

I have a 2.8 crd grand voyager stow and go 2006, it was loosing water but we couldn't see where, so added the rad weld. No more water loss, great, but now not great. The water colour in the header tank is very murky orange.

Planning to drain system and fit new thermostat.
Any thoughts welcome.