Diesel or Petrol advice. - kwakaman39

Hi all. Newbie first post here.

Have a dilema.

Have been driving diesels for years as like the torque and power delivery over petrol cars.

Looking to change from my Audi A1 tdi 2012 to an suv - sportage/qashia/kadjar/cx3/tuscan etc. Also keep the car for the full warranty period.

Dilema is regarding the milage and journey distances i do.

I travel only 7-8 miles (country B roads) to work with the odd 15-30 mile journey each week. Total 9-11K per year.

My main worry is with DPF and short journeys. Also real MPG of petrol cars versions. Also not the extra cost of purchasing a diesel etc.

Current real mpg is 56mpg. With hardly any town and moterway driving. Mostly clear B roads. Drive carefully upto 50mph normally.

My Audi A1 is a diesel and does regular regens which i have to drive the long way home to allow it to complete its cycle. Had NO problems with the DPF over the last 4 years.

Q1- Should i buy petrol or diesel? (Really want a diesel).

Q2- If i make sure and do regular longer drives or when car does a regen(and i let it complete). Could i get away with buying the diesel version? As really like torque.

Q3- How do petrol real mpgs compare to diesel variants on short journey? (up to 10miles)?

Any advice would be helpful in making my next car choice.

Regards Dave.

Edited by kwakaman39 on 13/02/2016 at 15:55

Diesel or Petrol advice. - RobJP

Hi Dave

My mileage these days is also a bit marginal for a diesel, but I've kept one because, like you, I like the torque and power delivery.

I've you've had the same (diesel) car for the last 4 years without problems, then it's likely that you won't have problems with another diesel, all other things being equal.

Asto the 'real' mpg you can expect, I can only point you towards the 'real mpg' section of this site. Populated by mpg figures entered by readers, it's about as good as you're likely to find.

Thans Rob. I have used Fuelly.com to keep track of my mpg from new.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/kwakaman

Also a part of Audi A1 forums and worry more about the extra oil used in the modern day Audi petrol engines compared to the Possible PDF problems.

Not sure about other petrol engines as only just starting my quest to change to a suv for 2017.

I like to research before buying. This is why i am wondering if petrol would be better.

My only worry is the DPF vs oil use on petrol engines. Plus also the real fuel figures for short journeys.

Like i said before, my 56mpg is good for an A1, but then i drive like a granny and my journeys were a tad longer (10 miles) - (now 7) per journey.

My car rarely hits normal running temps now. Still does regular regens (250-300miles) which i mostly try and let complete before stopping.

So hoping if i can respect DPF regen peramiters and still keep a diesel rather than go petrol.

Will of course ask advice of every car dealer/manufacturer when i make my short list.

Thinking of a Kia Sportage/Nissan Qashqai/Renault Kadjar/cx3 or even Tuscon.

£20k budget new/nearly new. Mainly looking for a long warranty for obvious reasons.

Dave

Diesel or Petrol advice. - Theophilus

As an owner of both a diesel and a petrol, I can say that on a winter morning the heater in my wife's petrol Jazz starts giving out warm air far more quickly than in my diesel Verso :-)

Diesel or Petrol advice. - Avant

I agree with you about torque, and I had several diesel cars in a row for that reason as well as the high mileage that I was doing.

However there's a new generation of petrol engines that are just as good at low revs - better than some diesels which have no oomph until you get over 1,500 rpm. The best of these to my knowledge are the VW Group 1.2, 1.4 and 2.0 TSI engines. The Skoda Yeti's only petrol engine is the 1.2, but it goes pretty well: I think our regular member KB has one.

Try one and see: your annual mileage doesn't justify the extra cost of a diesel compared with its better economy (about 8-10 mpg on average).

@Avant.

Following some of the threads on audis 1.2 and 1,4 TSI petrol engines, they suffer from (what i call) huge oil consumption issues.

Audi claimed 500ml/3000miles is normal !!! So putting me off petrols.

My TDI doesnt use a drop of oil between services (upto 18K).Done 38K and not added a drop. Be that due to not using it or maybe excess diesel from unfinished regens.

Still hoping to keep using a diesel but would be silly not to look at petrols.

Not worried about extra cost of a diesel purchase or even 8-10 mpg less for the petrol version as feel the TDI would better suit my laid back driving style now.

Kia 7 year warranty is a big plus for me also. A Nissan Qashqia would be nice but only have 3 year warranty,(possible to extend to 4 or 5) like i did on my Audi.

Dave

Edited by kwakaman39 on 13/02/2016 at 18:23

Diesel or Petrol advice. - scot22

Limited experience of diesel (Volvo C30) over past four years therefore not significant knowledge. My driving sounds similar to you with a drive over 100 miles each way once a month. For me diesel has been a money pit and I would never want another. The car is lovely to drive but....

Perhaps its Volvo ?

Diesel or Petrol advice. - brum

Considering at his budget (20k) and likely length of ownership (3 - 4 years), the OP should realise that depreciation dominates his cost of ownership by miles. He will be paying the equivalent of over £10/day, irregardless of whether he actually drives the car anywhere.

Therefore, bearing in mind his annual mileage of 9 - 11k miles, he should go and (extended) test drive his short list and decide which he likes best. Mpg is hardly relevant.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - RT

Considering at his budget (20k) and likely length of ownership (3 - 4 years), the OP should realise that depreciation dominates his cost of ownership by miles. He will be paying the equivalent of over £10/day, irregardless of whether he actually drives the car anywhere.

Therefore, bearing in mind his annual mileage of 9 - 11k miles, he should go and (extended) test drive his short list and decide which he likes best. Mpg is hardly relevant.

Give that man a medal - for stating the obvious - too often overlooked by so many car purchasers.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - John F

Give that man a medal - for stating the obvious - too often overlooked by so many car purchasers.

Absolutely right. It is illogical to worry about a hundred or two pounds a year fuel saving while ignoring often several thousand pounds a year depreciation costs which so many seem to accept as normal. I guess it's because so many new cars are bought with someone else's money.

As a low mileage driver I can fortunately spend an extra few hundred on petrol driving cars which are enjoyable while spending no more than a few hundred a year depreciation over the long term. (less than £800 pa over the past 36yrs, falling year by year as long as I don't dispose of my current 2 cars). Life's too short to compromise over trifles.

"Audi claimed 500ml/3000miles is normal !!! So putting me off petrols.

My TDI doesnt use a drop of oil between services (upto 18K).Done 38K and not added a drop. Be that due to not using it or maybe excess diesel from unfinished regens."

Octavia vRS 2.0 TSI petrol - 45,000 miles and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Engines do vary - so does the way they're driven. It sounds as if you drive with 'car sympathy' so you probably needn't worry, whichever tyoe of fuel you go for.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - KB.

Re. Oil consumption on the 1.2 TSI and the quote that went...."@Avant. Following some of the threads on audis 1.2 and 1,4 TSI petrol engines, they suffer from (what i call) huge oil consumption issues.....Audi claimed 500ml/3000miles is normal !!! So putting me off petrols."

Yes...I have to have regular deliveries of oil from the wholesaler. A pallet does me about three weeks on average.

Oh, no, wait.....I just remembered, I DON'T have a regular delivery of engine oil. In fact now I come think about it I believe I've topped it up twice in five years. I might have put....something like.....two litres in it in all that time.........

My TDI doesnt use a drop of oil between services (upto 18K).Done 38K and not added a drop. Be that due to not using it or maybe excess diesel from unfinished regens."

Octavia vRS 2.0 TSI petrol - 45,000 miles and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Engines do vary - so does the way they're driven. It sounds as if you drive with 'car sympathy' so you probably needn't worry, whichever tyoe of fuel you go for.

Many manufacturers quote 1 litre / 1,000 miles as their threshold between normal and excessive oil consumption.

On petrol engines, in good condition, I don't expect to ever top-up the oil between oil changes - I'm a newby on diesels but they do seem to need occasional top-ups.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - xtrailman

Last time i had a car that needed oil topping up was a very a 2000 year Audi.

That used a litre in the first year, but back then audi i was told used a speacial running in oil upto first service, after that mine used no oil. But at the time my neighbour had an audi fsi that used so much oil that the low oil light was coming up monthly.

Prior to that i would have to go back to a Metro in the 80's that needed regular top ups of oil, but some of that was engine oil leaks! Those started on day one from delivery.

Not one single jap car i've had needed oil topping up, and i've had 8 now from new.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - RichT54

When I collected my 1.4 TFSi A3 I was given 1 litre of engine oil. During the first year, it did need to be topped up occasionally. I estimate I used about 3/4 of the bottle in just over 9000 miles.

However during the second year it has used hardly any.

Edited by RichT54 on 14/02/2016 at 14:27

Diesel or Petrol advice. - Smileyman

I think there is an additional factor to consider. Diesel fuel is still very polluting, in the coming years there is a real possibility of governmental action to descriminate againt diesel private cars, be it via fuel tax or possible restrictions to use, or other means. Not just UK but elsewhere too, eg France.

Yes, that's what worries me too. It could be government action and/or a big scare in the popular press. And even without government action a scare could easily reverse the present situation where diesel cars (larger ones anyway) hold their value better than petrols.

Edited by Avant on 14/02/2016 at 11:15

Diesel or Petrol advice. - scot22

I think you have introduced an important qualifier Smileyman that I certainly hadn't thought of. I have speculated about government action but thought there were too many diesel engines to make it a possibility. However, if you limit it to private cars...........

I have occasionally wavered when seeing an appealing diesel (recently 2011 Volvo S40 2.0) now 100% no diesel for me.

I think you have introduced an important qualifier Smileyman that I certainly hadn't thought of. I have speculated about government action but thought there were too many diesel engines to make it a possibility. However, if you limit it to private cars...........

I have occasionally wavered when seeing an appealing diesel (recently 2011 Volvo S40 2.0) now 100% no diesel for me.

I think the possibility of banning diesels beyond a certain age, defined by Euro number, from city centres is a strong possibility - it's the only way to deal with excessive NOx levels there - such a ban would be unneccessary in rural areas as the NOx naturally degrades in the clearer atmosphere.

Q2 on my list is most important to to me at the moment on making my next car choice.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - 72 dudes

Q2 on my list is most important to to me at the moment on making my next car choice.

Try a Qashqai with the 1.2 Turbo engine, won't have the grunt of your TDi, but it won't feel weedy either.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - slkfanboy

One mistake often made with diesels is asuming that keeping a normal oil level is good. Any car with start/stop or when performing a regen is also dumping more diesel into the oil. So while it looks like the oil is lasting infact it's a poor quality mix of diesel and oil hence the best advice with a diesel if to change the oil more often then recommend. HJ say 6000miles if you want to engine to last. When I had a diesel i changed at 9K.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - gordonbennet

HJ say 6000miles if you want to engine to last.

Does he really say 6k, good on HJ, he's just gone up another rung in my book.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - skidpan

Also a part of Audi A1 forums and worry more about the extra oil used in the modern day Audi petrol engines compared to the Possible PDF problems

I have a 1.4 TSi in my Seat Leon. Had it for 3 years almost and not put a spot of oil in it.

As for missing the diesel torque after virtually 20 years with one or 2 turbo diesels in the house I can 100% garantee the driving manners and performance of the TSi betters every turbo diesel I have owned (VW, Ford, BMW, Kia).

Fuel consumption, my last diesel, a BMW 118D averaged 48 mpg over the 5 1/2 years I owned it. The Seat has averaged 45 mpg in the exact same use over almost 3 years. So in the real world my fuel costs are virtually identical.

Will I be buying another turbo diesel complete with DPF worries, never.

Diesel or Petrol advice. - Ian_SW

The VAG TSI engines and oil consumption seem to either use no oil at all or several litres between services!

According to general 'wisdom', what causes the difference appears to be down to how they are driven, particularly during the first five thousand miles. Somewhat counter-intuitatively they seem to need to be driven fairly hard during this period, making use of the full range of revs available from time to time (obviously only once the engine is warm though!)

I've got the 1.8 TSI in my (ex hire car) Octavia, which is supposed to be the worst engine variant for this. It now has 55000 on the clock and uses no oil at all. I obviously don't know for sure how it was driven for the first 5000 miles, but being an ex hire car I can take a fair guess!

I think the problems tend to occur more in the more powerful 1.8 and 2.0 TSI engines as it's rarely necessary to use their full power in normal use. In the lesser 1.2 and 1.4 versions, it is necessary from time to time to use most of the engine output when accellerating on short dual carriageway slip-roads etc, so these do get driven harder by the average user.