Dealers - prefer finance or outright? - BobsyourUncle

I'm in the market for a used/nn car, possibly as soon as this weekend.

I'm wondering what dealers generally prefer, a client that can buy there or then - or one that goes for their finance? I guess the real question is do I let a dealer know that I'm in a position to buy outright, or insist on setting a price before discussing how payment takes place...?

Ta.

Dealers - prefer finance or outright? - gordonbennet

I suspect budget features highly, the small time dealer juggling around with a couple of £1500 cars a week would no doubt prefer cash.

Go up the scale and finance becomes increasingly relevant, i would think an employed salesperson in particular is going to make any deal he can muster that pays him/her the most and it might be the case that finance and other packages net them more, i would expect a paid salesperson to prefer finance sale above a certain price level, where a sole trader just wants a profit however its arrived at.

Dealers - prefer finance or outright? - craig-pd130

Main dealers are essentially selling financial products secured on their new or 'approved used' cars. They like the commissions and incentives from selling finance. But they may also be keen to shift units to hit a sales target.

Unless there's a really good deal like interest-free credit or similar available, I would go on price and then discuss payment method.

Just make sure you get the best deal for you, not the one that the dealer wants to sell you.

Dealers - prefer finance or outright? - RobJP

There are ways of cheating the system, so to speak.

If buying on finance (rather than just leasing), there is a cooling-off period after the finance commences. Within that period, you can settle the finance, in full, without penalties.

So a trick is to buy a car on finance, getting all those favourable discounts that are offered, and then to settle the finance a week later. The discounts aren't recoverable from you.

NOTE : I'm not a financial adviser. I know people who've done this, and the way the deal is structured allows them to do this. YOU need to ensure that it applies to you before taking any action.

Dealers - prefer finance or outright? - dafskipman

Remembering back, years ago i visited a car dealership in Bradford with the aim of buying a used Ford Focus estate. It was priced at an amount that i could have bought outright for cash. However, the salesman i dealt with explained to me, that if i kept my cash, signed up on finance for 2 or 3 yrs, then used my cash to fully settle the finance when the first monthly payment was due, I'd pay no interest, He'd get his kick-back from the finance company and we'd both be winners. As an added incentive he inflated the price of my P/X to further lower the HP payments quoted. Naturally, i took him up on his offer and duly paid off the bill at the first monthly payment meaning i actually paid less than the screen price on the car. Maybe not strictly illegal, but i've never had the opportunity offered to me again on the many cars i've bought since. As a footnote i have to say the car was dire, and i sold it privately a mere few months later. Just glad i took the opportunity to purchase the car this way, and ultimately not be stuck with a money pit.

Dealers - prefer finance or outright? - FoxyJukebox

Agreed-and if trading in-then the way forward is to work softly softly towards "price to change". That tends to force options to the surface!

Dealers - prefer finance or outright? - dafskipman

Quite right to insist on setting the price before discussing payment methods. If you can pay outright, you should haggle for a discount. Alternatively if zero or a rock bottom finance rate is offered, you can bank your money and let it earn interest for you. Most dealers wont have a preference about how you pay for your car, a sale is a sale to them. You dont mention whether you have a P/X or not, but in general most used car dealers tend to do more favourable deals if there's no P/X involved, especially if your paying outright at the point of sale. My advice would be to visit as many dealers as you can this weekend, take your time deciding what deal offered suits you best financially, also don't be afraid to play dealers off each other. You're in the driving seat, It's your business they want, so don't be rushed into making a descision. Good luck.