Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Robin
A couple of weeks ago I had a bit of an ugly with a lorry when driving up the M6. Nothing too outrageous but a big supermarket truck cut me up when we were both leaving the motorway to go into the services. I noticed the lorry driver was busy on her mobile phone and also that there was a Well Driven sign on the back of the trailer. I was a bit peeved about nearly having a collision so I jotted down the reg. number of the lorry and made that call. I thought I would here no more about it and in fact did not expect to.

However, in this morning's mail is a letter from the transport company thanking me for bringing this to their attention and stating that this sort of illegal behaviour is not tolerated by the company. I think the driver got a ticking off.

So, these Well Driven things are in fact taken seriously.

Robin 'The Sneak'
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Rob the Bus
I too have had a positive experience with these \'Well Driven\' things. I was pulling out of a bus stop in my bus and the lights behind me had just changed to red. A lorry came shooting through the red light, just about shaved past my bus and passed a row of parked cars on his left with about half an inch to spare, making oncoming cars brake sharply. I\'d blasted my horn and flashed my lights at him but got the standard finger out of the window. I was so mad that I (probably foolishly) sped up after him to get the \'Well Driven\' number. I got back to the depot and rang up on the company phone. I too expected to hear nothing more but receieved a letter from the company operating the vehicle to tell me that the driver concerned had since left the company \'by mutual consent\' ie he jumped before he was pushed.

Now, whenever I come up against idiots like that in liveried vehicles, I ALWAYS ring the company. As a bus driver, if I drove like that I would expect to be reported and punished so as far as I am concerned, if they are stupid enough to drive like idiots in a liveried company vehicle then they deserve all they get.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Chas{P}
Robin

A company I used to work for had to have them on their vans as an insurance condition because the delivery drivers had been on a 'demolition derby' spree the previous year.

I have noticed the have disappeared now so they must have mended their ways!

Charles
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Wally Zebon
>>the driver concerned had since left the company 'by mutual consent'

I used to work for a company where this was the standard excuse. No one ever got a repremand for bad driving. In fact it was almost treated as a competition to see who could get the most complaints against them.

It wouldn't surprise if the madman in the truck is still driving for the same company.

Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Andrew-T
Wally - as an experienced cynic I tend to agree. I doubt that Rob the Bus has any evidence to support the claim in the letter he received. Gaffers in haulage companies have many more urgent problems without messing about sacking roughnecks and finding replacements.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Rob the Bus
Fair enough guys, just called me a gullible old softie. And, Andrew T you're right. I have no evidence! However, I think that it's deplorable to see how many complaints a driver can receive. As a professional driver (sorry if that sounds a little sanctimonious) I am mortified if I think that my driving has inconvenienced anybody. Do these morons have a competition to see how many innocent members of the public they can maim? Their actions can, and often do, result in death. I'm not having a downer on van and truck drivers - far from it. I go out of my way to let trucks out of turnings and to let them reverse into loading bays etc. I just think that it's a sad state of affairs when having a complete lack of pride in your job is something to celebrate. Right, someone get me down off my soapbox!
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - wemyss
Well said Rob and I agree with you completely.
alvin
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - patpending
"I jotted down the reg. number of the lorry..."

because you were parked up in the services hehehe ;)

to me that's the real problem, when some really bad driving happens (e.g. whole coach starts pulling into your lane of a two lane motorway when you are already halfway past it) taking down the number or address is not the first thing on your mind!

and what happens if the driver hears who shopped him/her? I was cut up terribly at a roundabout by a large DHL lorry once and was in half a mind to ring that number. I still have the reg of that towering-sided Merc.

BUT then I discovered he regularly drove along my route AND past the place where I parked my car!

I did not shop him.

My car is unscratched....

pat
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - MarkyMarkD
I was cut up the other day at a notorious bit of road (dual carriageway narrows to single lane immediately after a crest, leading up to a set of lights) - I was queuing over the crest along with 30 cars in the left-hand lane and along comes an idiot from a very very local company in his liveried company van, in the outside lane past the 30 patient people and barged his way in front of the car in front of me.

Now, cars do this from time to time and it ticks me off something rotten, but if the fool wants to do it in his company van ... he's going to get a letter to his regional manager complaining about him!

I am awaiting a response....
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Robin

""I jotted down the reg. number of the lorry..."

because you were parked up in the services hehehe ;)"

Actually, yes. We both ended up in the petrol station part of the services so I wrote down her number and made the call.
I guessed that was the case Robin, just as I imagine your cellphone was a LONG way from those petrol pumps...

the vision I had in my mind was of suddenly going "pen. PEN. D'oh, where's my pen (scrabble) D'OH just when I'm skidding across two lanes (crunch) right, paper. PAPER. D'oh that's not too much to ask (crunch thump) typical!

was too funny to have it replaced by reality...

I applaud you for taking this corporate responsibility measure at face value AND getting somewhere with it!

pat
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - HF
My neighbour has a 'How well am I driving' sticker on his work van. For reasons unknown even to myself, I am often tempted to phone up the number, to say 'I'd just like to point out how extremely well your driver was driving today.' I wonder if anyone does that, and I wonder what the company's reaction would be. A slammed down phone, probably.
HF
I know I have seen articles where just this has happened - "watching your driver reverse his artic round a tight corner was poetry in motion".

So why not? let's all do it!

pat
We should really, shouldn't we? - credit where it's due and all that.

I guess in all walks of life we generally tend to complain about behaviour that displeases us, but don't really bother to make a point of praising people who uphold the standards we would like of them.

Just like all the people who work hard in really mundane and isolated jobs, eg the girl behind the counter at Burger King, the bloke who takes the money in the car park. Most of these people are understandably dour-faced at the best of times, but I've seen a few who win my utmost admiration, by being cheerful, polite and friendly, even though they've probably been on their feet for hours upon end with no thanks at all. I can bring this back to motoring by saying that this applies to some of the staff in my local Tesco Express, where I often buy my fuel. They do 15 hour shifts, morning and night, and some of them still have the time and enthusiasm for a laugh and a chat.
HF
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Hugo {P}
I know I have seen articles where just this has happened
- "watching your driver reverse his artic round a tight corner
was poetry in motion".
So why not? let's all do it!
pat

I can just here it now

"Yes...erm hellow, I was singulalrly impressed with the finess your driver displayed as he gently but swiftly carved up 3 lanes of traffic.

I must also congratulate his unusual method of showing appreciation of the hail of applause from the immediate audience"

H
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Dan J
I heard it was actually 50/50 good and bad reports.

Of course you don't need too many braincells to make statistics up though...
That surprises me Dan - but if your statstics are right, then I'm glad ;)
HF
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - lezer
Ever since mobile phones have come about we have been told not to use them on Garage forcourts, so why is it phone companies can set up relay/repeater masts hidden in the garage signs which are on the forcourts pushing out a lot more power than a hand set??
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Dynamic Dave
Because the phone mast is far enough away from the pumps so as not to cause a potential spark and blow the place up. Sat right next to the pump in your car talking on your mobile however....
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - J Bonington Jagworth
I seem to remember this discussion in the 'old' back room. The upshot, IIRC, was that the risk from using phones was trivial compared to the HT system/hot exhaust manifold in the car, but that dropping a phone could cause the batteries to spark as the case disintegrated...
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Podge
I understood that the reason they told you not to use your mobile phones on forecourts was that they were concerned it could affect the operation of the pump, i.e. it might forget how much fuel it had put in your car. This made perfect sense to a cynic like me. Let's face it, there must be hundreds of thousands of people every day who pay not a blind bit of notice to this instruction, but I have yet to hear of a forecourt exploding in flames because of it!
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Rob C
The whole garage forecourt/mobile phone thing is an urban myth, based on a supposed story of a guy who was on the phone whilst filling his car with petrol, that then exploded.

Since Nokia/Ericsson can't be bothered to disprove the story, its safer(legally) for them to advise against using a phone in a petrol station, and therefore safer for Esso etc. to follow suit.

There has been no recorded incident of any mishaps, fires, explosions caused by mobile phones in petrol stations.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - MoodyGit
The whole garage forecourt/mobile phone thing is an urban myth, based
on a supposed story of a guy who was on the
phone whilst filling his car with petrol, that then exploded.

Many years ago there was an item on the local news which showed using a high powered CB radio while on the petrol forecourt interfered with the pumps so you could fill up your car with the pump only registering a few litres.
I've always suspected that this is the REAL reason why they don't want you to use a mobile phone on the forecourt but have yet to try it ;-)
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - L'escargot
There has been no recorded incident of any mishaps, fires, explosions
caused by mobile phones in petrol stations.

The people involved were probably all killed and there was nobody left alive to report the cause!
--
L\'escargot.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Alex Saville
Just discovered this site today. A few facts on WELL DRIVEN?,it is libel, slander, defamation of character and damage to good repute. Here in Scotland if you make the call, you had better be able to provide independant corroboration or under our law you will find yourself in the Court of Session for libel, etc.WELL DRIVEN? were horrified to find out that 60% of the calls they receive were for 2 items only. Cars trying to overtake artics on a roundabout and cars undertaking when a truck was taking a wide turn when turning left. Both items are covered in the Highway Code. That leaves the other 40%. When I worked under this scurrilous scheme, complaints were that trucks on the A9 here in Scotland were travelling at 40mph and 'deliberately' holding back other road users,40mph is the speed limit on most of this road for trucks. 'Your truck would not let me out of the slip road', the truck could not because of overtaking traffic, when joining from a slip road, the dotted line on your right means YOU GIVE WAY!Because of the poor roadcraft and lack of common sense of the majority of complainants they produced a leaflet called 'Give a Lorry a Break',what made them think that those who did not read or know the Highway Code would want to read their leaflet is a mystery.
There is an organisation that will take complaints about lorry drivers driving, or anyone's driving for that matter,this organisation is called the POLICE! The reason people call WELL DRIVEN? instead of the police is they would be the one's in trouble with the police, so they call the free number and hide behind WELL DRIVEN? I was accused of dangerous driving on a motorway when in fact I was under strict security shunting trailers in a bonded warehouse all night and was not near the motorway. I asked for an apology, I was ignored. I asked for the complainers name and address in order to send them a letter from my lawyer, I was refused information. This scheme is im-moral and an affront to the human rights of lorry drivers, it should be closed down . If you want to complain about a lorrydrivers driving you should at least have the gumption to apologise if YOU are wrong. It is a driver bashing scheme on a grand scale. Anyone who is interested can go to the TRUCKNET site and read the articles on WELL DRIVEN in the INSIDER pages of the site, simply look under 'A Scurrilous Scheme...
Alex
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - bell boy
i agree with what you say, but...... you never mentioned why truck drivers are always on the phone (alledgedly guv ;-))
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - mike hannon
Steady on Alex. It isn't libel, or anything else - under English law anyway - because you aren't making a public criticism.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - algy
Well HF, in answer to your question - I did some years ago make such a call. I had been following a Safeway artic on some 'A' roads in Kent for some distance, and it dawned on me how well it was being driven - not exceeding speed limits, slowing in good time for bends, courteous towards other drivers and so on. I really couldn't fault him. I noted the details and phoned the number when I got back to the office. I didn't expect any response, but about 2 weeks later Safeway wrote to thank me for the report, and pointing out that the driver concerned had already won 2 safe driving awards and had an unblemished record over many years working for them. I wish I could say that I have since had the opportunity to make another such call, but sadly....

I know some may say 'get a life' but as an accident investigator you do tend to take a close interest in the conduct and behaviour of other drivers.
In my experience there's a far higher percentage of cars than trucks deserve to have one of these stickers on the back!
--
L\'escargot.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - NARU
I've rung the 'well driven' number once - when I saw a great piece of driving from a trucker avoiding an idiot car driver who pulled out in front of him.

I sent a formal letter to the transport manager of a trucker who was driving a couple of inches from my bumper through some roadworks whilst he was on the phone. Got back a letter which said I must have confused the truck with one from another company as 'our drivers don't do that sort of thing'!
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Dipstick
Libel only requires the accusation to be witnessed by a third party. The manager to whom you write would be that third party, arguably.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - drbe
When I
worked under this scurrilous scheme, complaints were that trucks on the...............
Anyone who is interested can go to the
TRUCKNET site and read the articles on WELL DRIVEN in the
INSIDER pages of the site, simply look under 'A Scurrilous Scheme...
Alex

>>

Well Alex, may I first of all say Welcome!

Can we assume that on balance, you don't totally agree with this scheme? (TIC)

Does the TRUCKNET site have a section for BADLY DRIVEN in the INSIDER pages - perhaps it could be called 'An Excellent Scheme'

May I respectfully suggest that you break up your post into smaller paragraphs? It makes it easier to read.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - paulb {P}
Always good to see old threads refreshed with new views!
...it is libel, slander, defamation of character and damage >> to good repute.
Here in Scotland if you make the call, you had better
be able to provide independant corroboration or under our
law you will find yourself in the Court of Session for
libel, etc.

My understanding of both English and Scottish libel and slander laws is that firstly the libel or slander (I'm aware that Scottish law has far less distinction between the two than English law) complained about has to have been published or broadcast in some way, and that the party doing the complaining has to show that they have suffered loss and damage as a result. I had understood (although please correct me if I'm wrong) that complaints made under this scheme were confidential between Well Driven?, the haulage firm and the driver of the vehicle, so can't see how the publication/broadcast angle gets covered.

Also, any sackings under this scheme must surely be on the basis of an unacceptable level of complaints about one driver over a period of time, rather than just one solitary complaint, so I'm a bit puzzled as to how one complaint counts as either libel or slander.
I was accused of dangerous driving on a motorway when in
fact I was under strict security shunting trailers in a
bonded warehouse all night and was not near the motorway. I
asked for an apology, I was ignored. I asked for the
complainers name and address in order to send them a letter
from my lawyer, I was refused information.

So the complaint was made either by some random nutter (as you explained, possibly a car driver of the breed that objects violently to any lorries being on the nation's roads at any time at all) or possibly by someone who, in poor visibility conditions, misread a number plate.

Either way, it clearly wasn't anything to do with you and could safely be ignored - so why not just think "Yeah, whatever" and let it go, instead of having all the hassle and expense of getting lawyers to write heavy letters, thus potentially opening up a whole different can of worms?

The sort of person who makes utterly unjustified complaints about people's driving is probably on their way home to a night of watching television, notepad in hand, waiting to be offended by something, and will certainly not be deterred by such a tactic. Don't get involved, I say.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Alex Saville
I notice no-one has commented on the fact that 60% of their calls were on 2 matters.Why do these people not call the police? We have no need for vigilantes in the UK. Some of you may think its OK to have been hauled up before a 'the customer is always right' type of manager and have to defend yourself. I dont! Well Driven stated in the Herald newspaper, Glasgow, that during the school holidays, calls to them rocket. When a company hires a lorry driver they hire the licence, they dont buy the body, I didn't sign up for that scheme. If anyone has a complaint about my driving I am more than happy for them to call the Police, only once has that happened and he was the one who got done. (for drunk driving!)The problem with this scheme does not belong with lorry drivers but with the over 90% of complainers who dont know the Highway Code,have poor common sense and who's roadcraft is non-existant. otherwise, why did Well Driven publish their leaflet, 'Give a Lorry a Break'? I dont claim to be a 'GOOD' driver, all I will say is I have been a trucker for over 43 yrs with a clean licence. I must be very careful or very lucky, you make up your own mind. To those who complain, if you dont have the balls to stand up and be identified, DONT COMPLAIN!
Alex
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - NVH
Have I misunderstood ?
Not a 999 emergency call.
How do I get the number of the nearest local traffic police ?

I have used the scheme twice.
In both cases it was a local refrigerated haulage company.
My wife was terrified after one incident and couldn't drive for a week.
I phoned the company direct. The transport manager didn't want to know.
The police could do nothing without independent witnesses.
The company were later done for a wide variety of offences
including tacho and driver hours.
Why are truck drivers the only ones targeted by this scheme. And what's the real purpose of the scheme?
--
L\'escargot.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Why are truck drivers the only ones targeted by this scheme

Presumably because a badly driven 40 tonner is bigger hazard to other road users than a badly driven 1.5 ton car.
>>Why are truck drivers the only ones targeted by this scheme
Presumably because a badly driven 40 tonner is bigger hazard
to other road users than a badly driven 1.5 ton car.

Badly driven 40 tonners usually travel quite a bit slower than badly driven cars, and there are less badly driven 40 tonners than there are badly driven cars.
--
L\'escargot.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - rjr
Badly driven 40 tonners usually travel quite a bit slower than
badly driven cars, and there are less badly driven 40 tonners
than there are badly driven cars.
--
L\'escargot.

Whilst I agree that a badly driven 40 tonner will usually travel much slower than a badly driven car (except for the one doing 75mph+ on the M1 on Sunday night) it will have much more kinetic energy and therefore require a much greater force to slow it down. A 40 tonne lorry travelling at 56mph has 17 times the kinetic energy of a 1.5 tonne car travelling at 70mph and if control is lost it will do significantly more damage.
Whilst I agree that a badly driven 40 tonner will usually
travel much slower than a badly driven car (except for the
one doing 75mph+ on the M1 on Sunday night) it will
have much more kinetic energy and therefore require a much greater
force to slow it down.

I can't argue with that. But truck brakes are designed to give the same deceleration as car brakes. Unless someone knows different ...........
--
L\'escargot.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - fordprefect
I can't argue with that. But truck brakes are designed to
give the same deceleration as car brakes. Unless someone knows different

I may be wrong, but I thought truck braking systems were not designed to give the 1G stops modern car brakes will achieve, so as not to shoot the payload up against the cab.

Unless antilock systems are fitted, truck brakes can not give the same braking efficiency for fully loaded and unloaded conditions (as shown when an empty artic anchors up sharply and locks the trailer wheels).

I'm sure someone knows the full story on truck brakes?
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - BazzaBear {P}
I would be massively surprised if a 40 tonne artic could stop as quickly as my Coupe can. I have no evidence to back that up, but I certainly wouldn't want to see one looming in my rear view mirror as I was doing an emergency stop.

I suppose, with a bit of pidgin-science (for want of a bnetter term), the average car is well less than 2 tonnes, and has 4 tyre contact patches to stop it. So for a truck to be able to exert the same amount of 'stopping pressure' it would have to have more than 20 wheels, all braking wheels? The majority are 18-wheelers, but I don't know if they're all braked.

I can hear the mathematicians and physicists groaning already.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - R75
I may be wrong, but I thought truck braking systems
were not designed to give the 1G stops modern car brakes
will achieve, so as not to shoot the payload up against
the cab.

Yep your wrong, Truck brakes are very, very good on modern trucks and will easily throw you forward if you stamp on them - even fully loaded, but obviously loads do play an important part on the efficiency of the braking.

Unless antilock systems are fitted, truck brakes can not give
the same braking efficiency for fully loaded and unloaded conditions (as
shown when an empty artic anchors up sharply and locks the
trailer wheels).
I'm sure someone knows the full story on truck brakes?

Anti-locks have been standard on both unit and trailers for many years, long before thay became the norm for cars - they also have a load sensor, and if that is not working properly thats when you see them lock up and the great plumes of smoke.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Statistical outlier
I remember seeing a terrifying bit of film where a car and truck did parallel emergency stops on a track. From inside the car, it appeared that someone had strapped a rocket booster to the truck - there was a huge difference in braking performance.

This was fairly recent - within the last five years. Can't remember which motoring program it was on though.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - BazzaBear {P}
Why are truck drivers the only ones targeted by this scheme.
And what's the real purpose of the scheme?
--
L\'escargot.

Because the truck has the name of a company on the side of it, and that company cares very much about public relations.
Whereas a car is only related to the person driving it, and he doesn't care much what you think of him.
>>the truck has the name of a company on the side of it, and that company cares very >>much about public relations.

And doesn't want to end up on the wrong end of a corporate manslaughter charge...
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Mutton Geoff
I think they should make it law that if a car is registered to a company and therefore receiving tax benefits as a result, it should be signwritten.

Every commercial vehicle in Singapore has to display the name and address of the firm, usually on an area on the door.
Well Driven? stickers on lorries - Duchess
Just what "tax benefits" did you have in mind?

And if I'm forced into driving a mobile advertising hoarding rather than a normal car, why should I pay the Inland Revenue for the privilege?

Well Driven? stickers on lorries - halfcharged
I work for a large supermarket chain in the dept. receiving these comments and can say they do indeed make a difference to the drivers, but only for consistent comments, one comment is not enough to get the P45!

Amazingly there are a large number of good comments too and these are passed onto the drivers and there managers.

There have however been wrong number plates declared as much confusion is caused, manly because we have many similar number plates. Even the speed cameras get this wrong as we have had speeding tickets for well over 100mph so it is easily done.
>>the truck has the name of a company on the side
of it, and that company cares very >>much about public relations.
And doesn't want to end up on the wrong end of
a corporate manslaughter charge...

What's the difference between a "corporate" manslaughter charge and any other kind? Surely manslaughter is manslaughter?
--
L\'escargot.
I was referring to the fairly recent legislation on corporate manslaughter ( 2004?), which meant my employers suddenly taking a keen interest in seeing my car's MOT, insurance documents yada yada. My assumption is that in the event of a driver causing death by dangerous driving, their employers are much more likely to end up on a corporate manslaughter charge now.

Hence employers would be keen to show that they monitor the safety of their drivers via the 'well driven?' scheme.