Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - seka1980

2 weeks ago my partner was driving to my house from bath to brighton

her car broke down in southampton and she said that the oil light came on and smoke was coming out fromt under the bonnet, She didnt have breakdown so the highways agency arranged for a tow truck to take her car to the neareast lock up which was in southampton. this was on a friday evening

on a monday she phoned some garages local to the lock up and one of them said that would arange to have her car picked up for £50 and taken to there garage.

its been two weeks now and they have said that it need a new engine,

the car is a 2008 suzuki swift DDIS 1.3 deisel with 50k on the clock

she paid £4k for it and has had it a year, the garage has said that a new engine would be over £2k and they are hard to get seconed hand, they said she can either pay £200 or give them the log book and they will scrap it.

me being a bit of a wheeler dealer feels like she is being ripped off as i could just put the car on my drive and sell parts on ebay

iI understand that she need to pay them £50 for recovering the car but is it fair to pay £150 to be told her car is a wriite off?

I feel like they just want to sell it for parts

any help would be greatly appreciated

jon

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - skidpan

They have spent time recovering the car at peak time and time carrying out investigations. I would say £200 is not an excessive figure.

As for what the garage will do with the car I can 100% garantee they will fit an engine and sell it.

Easy to stop them, simply get car recovered close to home and sort it at your leisure.

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - Railroad.

If the oil pressure warning lamp came on, followed by smoke coming from under the bonnet, then it is with all but certainty that the engine is done for.

As said above, £200 is not a horrendous amount to charge for what has been done so far. Next time you might consider having suitable breakdown cover. That's why millions of motorists do. This unfortunate incident would've been covered and would've cost you nothing.

A replacement second hand engine may be difficult to find, but I doubt it's impossible. Try your local breakers yard, or even online at www.1stchoice.co.uk/

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - gordonbennet

I agree with the above, the cost is fair, your next challenge is to recover it for a reasonable cost and then find another engine and fit it cost effectively.

Things don't sound good for a cheap easy fix from the decsription of the breakdown, but i'm sure i'm not alone in wondering what happened to it, hopefully your local indy workshops will have a quick poke nose to confirm its terminal and give you the reasons why...which, if you would be so kind, we'd like to know too.

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - Andrew-T

This unfortunate incident would've been covered and would've cost you nothing.

.... beyond the annual cost of the breakdown cover, of course. That's an economy anyone is allowed to make, but this time it didn't work out.

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - ferkemall

They are taking the p*** I would argue the £150 but get the car out of there if nothing else break it on Gumtree and get some money back at least !

My mate let his wife drive his renault we were standing outside when this thing came down the road with smoke and steam pouring out of it hesaid did you not look at the gauges ? She said you don't think iv got time to look at them while I'm driving do you !

The engine was a write off !

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - Big John

£2k for a new engine actually sounds reasonable to me and the car still has some value - although you'd need to get a firm quote for the work rather than an estimate.

Why had the engine failed? Had something such as the oil pump failed or was it low on oil? Past servicing?

Be careful about just passing them the log book if you choose to do this - you either need to fill in the new owner details/passed to the trade or scrapped sections otherwise you remain liable.

Be careful re car-tax/SORN & insurance otherwise you may have a suprise when a fine lands in the post

Lesson learnt re breakdown. We've used Autoaid in the past for a very comprehensive cover including recovery - only £42.35 for a year for a couple. We now use breakdown via my Nationwide Flex + account as it also covers me in Europe

Edited by Big John on 20/03/2016 at 19:49

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - gordonbennet

OP hasn't replied to the thread since November, presumably someone waved a magic wand and the car fixed itself.

Suzuki Swift - Please help, the Garage ripping us off? - Big John

Oh yes,

Didn't spot that