Night driving glasses/shades - scot22

I'm curious as to whether or not the night driving glasses/shades that are advertised actually make a difference regarding glare ( many badly adjusted headlights about ) If so, which ones ? My intuition is that they will have a negative effect on safety.

Night driving glasses/shades - Hamsafar

I find the yellow polarised shooting glasses type good in many situations, including dusk but they can't work when fully dark as they filter some colours so are in effect blocking some light at a time when it is already in short supply.

www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Driver-s-TAC-enhanced...l

Night driving glasses/shades - piggy

I have tried driving at night with a good quality pair of these and have to agree that they reduce the available light (as one would expect). As mentioned above they are a great help in rainy conditions since they polarise the light and the road seems clearer. My advice would be to use them during the day only when there is a lot of low level cloud. By the way they are an excellent aid for my hobby of flying model aircraft!

Night driving glasses/shades - RT

I thought the use of polarised glasses at night was illegal ?

Interesting three posts which make me think they do not help as they are supposed to. If they are illegal are the adverts encouraging drivers to break the law ? They do specifically state they are to improve the driving experience at night.

Night driving glasses/shades - balleballe

Any Polaroid will block glare, the only colour that will not distort other colours is grey.

Polaroid sunglasses normally have a 30-35% light transmittance with only a couple of companies offering 40%

To be legal at night the absorption must not exceed 20%, therefore requiring 80% light transmittance

Edited by balleballe on 06/12/2014 at 05:31

Thanks, that's very informative. I suppose then that the advertised for driving ones have at least 80% light transmission.

I am trying to decide the advantages balanced against the disadvantages. Would this give a benefit in reduced glare ? but how much would it lessen what you can see ?

Obviously assuming someone with normal eyesight.

Yes, I could buy and try. However, I am safety conscious and would never drive for any time if I thought my vision had been lessened in any way.

If you're suffering from glare, make sure you get an eye test if you haven't already done so - although many blame glare on badly adjusted, or badly used, lights on other cars there's just as many people that don't find glare an issue despite the number of ijiots around

Excellent advice, and I appreciate the courteous way it was given (not always the way with some posters !). However, I do have an annual eye test - as I said I am safety conscious. It is not with all traffic, just some and it this which I'm wondering if it can be improved.

It seems to be one of the mysteries of life - why are some people affected by glare and just as many not affected.

It seems to be one of the mysteries of life - why are some people affected by glare and just as many not affected.

No mystery.

Light irides will increase the glare due to light sensitivity

Age will increase glare due to the thickness of the crystalline lens.

Pupil size will also have a factor to play, the smaller the pupil the greater the depth of focus.

One of the main reasons for glare is uncorrected astigmatism, which will only be determined by a sight test.

When I say eye test, I mean a proper one and not a commercially driven 10 minute sight test in asda/tesco or specsavers

So why do some young people suffer from glare despite having proper eyesight tests and some older people not suffer from glare.

As an aside, I've never found eye tests different between Specsavers, a good optician and a regional eye centre.

Refer to above post,

If a young person has blue eyes and large pupils they will most likely suffer more glare than an older person with brown eyes and smaller pupils.

With age it's a balancing act, the lens becomes thicker which can lead to more glare, but as we age our pupils generally reduces in aperture which reduced glare.

Other factors also at play include the strength of the zonules inside the eye, as well as the clarity of the vitreous (jelly type sack in the eye)

Some spectacles can also increase the glare effect, and the coating on glasses sold as 'anti glare' is actually an anti-reflective. The only way to block glare is with a polarised filter.

Having worked for all major opticians accross the country, I can assure you there's is a large difference.

Edited by balleballe on 06/12/2014 at 21:22

Refer to above post,

If a young person has blue eyes and large pupils they will most likely suffer more glare than an older person with brown eyes and smaller pupils.

With age it's a balancing act, the lens becomes thicker which can lead to more glare, but as we age our pupils generally reduces in aperture which reduced glare.

Other factors also at play include the strength of the zonules inside the eye, as well as the clarity of the vitreous (jelly type sack in the eye)

Some spectacles can also increase the glare effect, and the coating on glasses sold as 'anti glare' is actually an anti-reflective. The only way to block glare is with a polarised filter.

Having worked for all major opticians accross the country, I can assure you there's is a large difference.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just to understand - I've always had blue eyes and not suffered from glare, young or now old - I guess my pupils are smaller rather than larger, is that why I don't notice ?

I can only go on the opticians in my area, plus having watched opthalmic consultants/professor examining my wife's eyes.

Night driving glasses/shades - corax

A few years ago I had my glasses made up at the opticians, so I had to wear my old glasses for a while without the anti refective coating . I drove at night with them and the glare was terrible. I was relieved to get my usual glasses back.

I do suffer from sun glare. Walking over something like a concrete surface where the sun is reflecting back actually makes my eyes water if I'm not wearing sunglasses. My eyes are hazel.

Some opticians are better then others. I had problems with one branch of Specsavers where they could not get my lenses right. After repeated attempts to no avail, I went to another branch, and the optician immediately realised that they had my prescription the wrong way around. Needless to say I never went back to the former branch!

Night driving glasses/shades - focussed

I have a pair of Revex Nighsight glasses which I bought in Belgium years ago and they do everything it says on their tin.

Putting them on in in bad light conditions is literally like switching the sun back on-I don't know how this is done-something to do with filtering the available light I suspect.

I've just ordered a pair on Amazon which has 4.4 stars out of 5 from 220 reviews. Being me I will try them out sitting in the passenger seat while my wife is driving - quite a simple solution to my concern. I'll report back with how I find them.

This thread does show what a wealth of differing experiences are available on a good forum - e.g Having worked for all major opticians accross the country, I can assure you there's is a large difference.

Thanks to everyone.

Opticaid nightsight over glasses.

Fit easily and comfortably.

I find approx 40% improvement for driving ease and feel it was a worthwhile purchase.

My wife thinks they are very good - clinches it.