- Education system - better now? - galileo

Until the 1960s schools spent considerable effort into teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. This included spelling, punctuation, comprehension and mental arithmetic.

Then the word went forth from the 'experts' that it cramped childrens' self expression if spelling and punctuation errors in their work meant marks deducted. Next we had the metric system, calculators allowed in exams etc. etc.

The result is that literacy and numeracy seem to have declined (even among teachers!)

Newspapers don't seem to employ proofreaders, so misspellings and malapropisms are more frequent than they used to be.

TV news programmes and documentaries often quote figures, using metric units, which are wrong by a factor of 10 or 100 - few people have a feel for how large a Newton is, but have a good idea what a pound weighs.

On this forum we often see cases where problems might have been avoided if the poster had read the small print or read the manual and made sure they understood the meaning.

Is this a result of the universal use of digital media, the emphasis on 'soft' teaching methods, TV, electronic games and 'social media' taking so much of childrens' time?

Or am I just hopelessly out of date as my daughter says?

- Education system - better now? - Bromptonaut

I think your daughter is near the mark but there are some real concerns in the points you make.

People who struggled to read or write have always been there - the skills are genuinely challenging or even unatainable for a few. Anyone who has worked in a public facing role will have met them. They need 'help' to fill in forms for a bank acount or have 'forgotten their glasses' when it comes to swearing the jurors oath.

In the past they found unskilled work where it didn't matter; in the mill, on the line at BL or Ford or surface/pit bottom stuff in the mines. Not much work like that these days.

People confuse numeracy with abiiity to do Maths. Numeracy is about understanding numbers and arithmetic. Being able to add/multiply etc, check your change, calculate the area of a room, reconcile your bank account and understand if you've come up with a plausible answer to those questions are life skills. Quadratic equations, mechanics and trig are not. Other than pythagoras's stuff with right angled triangles I doubt much of the geometry etc I learned to pass an O level has been much use since. We now seem to regard anyone who cannot get GCSE Maths as thick.

Teaching methods might have been 'soft' in the seventies and the loss of emphasis on strict grammar went too far. It's the one bit of my own education that let me down though I got by for 25years before I was in a job where it really hampered me. Today though it's ALL about exam success - often at cost of real subject understanding. It's because we teach to the test rather than the subject that we're surprised Koreans can rock up an answer a science GCSE paper wihout knowing the syllabus,

I nearly had a row with somebody I met last weekend because he was convinced the educational world was going to hell in a handcart. One piece of evidence was his ex teacher Mother seeing questions at A level Biology that had previously been on O level papers. Now that might indicate 'dumbing down' but without sight of mark scheme and specimen answers you cannot know.

I'm not a scientist but in history a similarly worded question about the Darbys, Coalbrookdale and the industrial revolution could crop up from O level to undergraduate. The difference is in the depth of an 'aceptable' answer.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/05/2014 at 20:09

- Education system - better now? - kerbed enthusiasm

"Today though it's ALL about exam success - often at cost of real subject understanding".

I work in (and around) education. Bromptonaut is absolutely correct in this observation. The necessity to prove a school's success through exam results will always drive the curriculum. Children are regularly taught to the test; a deep understanding would take too long and be simply unattainable for some pupils. Americans, rather endearingly, refer to the process as 'poke and puke' teaching.

I'm very happy to sit back and see just where this topic goes.

- Education system - better now? - scot22

I have worked in education since 1971 and, obviously, have seen many developments. This has included 15 years as a head and 8 years University tutor. All I can add to previous posts is further agreement.

Arguably the worst thing to happen to education has been politicians helping and 'doing something about..' Stop them pushing their personal beliefs and have an education system that recognises individual differences and meets the needs of today.

Scott,

You're quite right. It's a pity Royal Commissions have gone out of fashion, education would be an ideal subject.

I should perhaps have admitted that my father and an aunt taught for over 40 years, both qualified before the War and both had a wide range of knowledge, from basic science to Greek mythology and most things in between.

My first wife qualified as a teacher in 1968 when the notorious ITA was being rolled out; her view was that the transition to TO was as much of a struggle for some as learning in TO from the start would have been. Bright kids had no problem either way.

As others have pointed out, political interference and ideologically driven 'experts' have caused most of the problems. Abolition of Grammar schools is considered by some to have 'pulled up the drawbridge' preventing bright children from less advantaged backgrounds achieving their potential, the demonising of 'streaming' has also done no favours to anyone.

- Education system - better now? - gordonbennet

Ah yes, the demise of the Grammar School.

Some interesting people involved there, talk about pulling the ladder up after you.

That terrible Farage chap wants to re-instate them i believe..:-)

- Education system - better now? - Bobbin Threadbare

There are still grammar schools in many areas; very successful ones too. The major change I can see as a science teacher now to when I was at school is the breadth of topics; there is an attempt to get all the basics in and then explore further into modern developments, but the choice of those is made by policy makers and not teachers, so they can seem out of place and children can miss the connections.

People hold S Korea up as a model education system, but in actual fact whilst they are superb at rote learning and skills application, they are much less good at creative thinking, use of initiative or cross-curricular linking than our pupils in the UK.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 15/05/2014 at 19:32

- Education system - better now? - cockle {P}

What has most struck me over the last few years is the seeming lack of trust and confidence now shown by both employers and further education establishments in the standards achieved in our schools.

When I left school, a local grammar, I was able to take along my O levels certificates and an employer would make a note and trust that I'd achieved a recognised standard which they knew and trusted to make me capable of a level of numeracy and literacy that they required. That was just over 40 years ago and I had 8 'good' O level passes.

In the last 7 years my two sons have both left the same grammar school, both achieved 10 GCSE passes, both achieved A grades at Maths, English, English Lit, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and B grade in four other, varied subjects. So both, in theory, better qualified than myself for the world outside school. They are both pretty well rounded characters but did seem to have a lower level of, what I would term, general educational awareness of the world at large in subjects outside of those which they were taught.

I have now watched as both have negotiated further education and entered the world of work.

Number 1 son went on to a local college and studied graphic design, but had to continue with lessons in 'Functional Skills', in other words Maths and English, he had no problem with this but he found they were at such a basic level that he found them a waste of his time and didn't develop him any further. Several years later he joined a major bank who promptly insisted in ignoring his previous further education Functional Skills and his A grade GCSEs and asking him to take their own numeracy and literacy test to ensure he met their standards. He gauged their test as barely harder than the 11+, he has recently left their employment after 5 years and moved to a major multinational in London, they also insisted on ignoring his previous experience and got him to take their own tests.....

Number 2 son took a similar route into college passing A levels but also having to do Functional Skills, he then moved on to a BTEC course where they again insisted he continue to do the same Functional Skills elements that he'd completed previously. He has recently decided to change direction and has applied for an apprenticeship, again he has found that his GCSE passes count for nothing as he has had to take yet another numeracy and literacy test. This test he found, unsurprisingly, pretty straightforward.

They have both posed the same question, and I feel it is a major one, they argue that they spent 12 years obtaining good GCSE grades but why?

When not only employers but further education establishments seem to virtually ignore the grades they achieved would we not be better using those years to give a fuller, more rounded education?

Edited by cockle {P} on 15/05/2014 at 21:07

- Education system - better now? - Bobbin Threadbare

When I did my teacher training I also had to pass numeracy and literacy tests, despite having A/A* GCSEs, A-level maths, a numerate degree and a PhD (so I am literate enough to write a book....), all of which (bar the PhD) I was required to have to even apply for teacher training in the first place.

A surprising number of people on the course did not pass first time.

- Education system - better now? - nick62

Ah yes, the demise of the Grammar School.

Some interesting people involved there, talk about pulling the ladder up after you.

That terrible Farage chap wants to re-instate them i believe..:-)

Grammar schools are not the be-all and end-all of education, they are flawed in the way they select their 11 year-old entries:

My son sat the entrance exam for our local grammar and got a score of approx 50%, where the required pass to gain entry was 85%+. He was never "tutored" and maybe this is the problem, many of the ones who pass have had private tuition JUST to pass the entrance exam?

He went to the nearby comprehensive, ended-up with A+, A+ & A+ in maths, further maths & physics and an A in chemistry at A level (no private tuition) - he's now at Cambridge as an engineering undergraduate :)

- Education system - better now? - John F

Being able to add/multiply etc, check your change, calculate the area of a room, reconcile your bank account and understand if you've come up with a plausible answer to those questions are life skills.

Yes, and are so basic you hardly need to attend school to attain them.

Quadratic equations, mechanics and trig are not. Other than pythagoras's stuff with right angled triangles I doubt much of the geometry etc I learned to pass an O level has been much use since.

Perhaps not to you personally. I agree that lots of people are about as knowledgeable about their surroundings as chimps at a tea party. However, if you want a country capable of making, repairing and developing the equipment and infrastructure we take for granted in our homes, towns and countryside, an A level in such subjects is merely the entry ticket to developing the knowledge and expertise required.

We now seem to regard anyone who cannot get GCSE Maths as thick.

Quite so. Superficially they can often talk the talk - even at Oxbridge debating societies, but they can rarely walk the walk when it comes to creating and maintaining a modern society. Just look around the world and see what happens to a country when such experts depart.

- Education system - better now? - Spencer Tully

Thanks for bringing up such an important topic.

Our educational system needs reforms for a long time.

As a student I want to express my indignation about study overload.

I do not have time to do all the tasks that I get in college. I need to use different educational services (like this one:(link deleted)

Edited by Avant on 28/12/2017 at 23:00

- Education system - better now? - concrete

A very important subject. A very wide ranging one too. From political interference to the new ideas brought in by Shirley Williams, the whole system has been corrupted by poor planning, even worse thinking and the ususal chronic short termism of many governments. My own example is typical. The school I left to start work was in excellent shape and regularly produced clever students who made their way in many walks of life. In our area heavy engineering and chemical industries demanded a range of talent from the schools. Bright for the technical disciplines graduating down to the shop floor labourers. Most had good skills with literacy and numeracy. We all had to write formal letters of application which required a certain level of skill. As for numeracy, just try short changing someone in those days prior to the simpler decimal system. We also played cards, darts and usually had a bet, so we knew a thing or two about numbers when it came to winning or cash.

Later on my job required me to source apprentices for several places we had available. An application from a student at my old school arrived. I was appaled at the lack of literacy. The grammar, punctuation and syntax were virtually non existant. However, few of the others were much better. I interviewed this young chap and after some conversation realised that he was far from thick, simply poorly educated. What a real let down that was. He knew nothing of history, geography or english literature. A real shame. He turned out to be an excellent apprentice and went on to day release courses to gain qualifications. I often thought it a pity that some of the richness of life gained through literature and history was denied to him. On the other hand he may not have been bothered.

My solution would be to change the school curriculum. Fewer subjects taught to a greater depth. Sports put back on the agenda. All political and religious ideology which is not part of historical events should not be allowed to influence young minds. Put down the political football and concentrate on producing students with as many good basic skills of which they are capable. The really clever stuff comes later when the basics are mastered. In return, teachers would have more time to teach instead of box ticking or form filling and living in fear of a slip in 'grades'. The resultant happier teachers and students would be self evident.

But, maybe I am out of touch. But I possess skills that very few student or graduates possess. The ability to write clearly and concisely to explain and express my thoughts.Be able to challenge someone in a shop when they are incorrect with the sum due or the change required, without the use of a calculator. If that is old fashioned and not important any longer then I despair.

Like in many areas the thinking within the system is now down to a certain level, which means the blind leading the blind. The gap between the cleverest and the less clever is wider than ever. Similarly in sociology, gaps between the have and have nots are wider than ever. Why should this be? Could it be poor education is the root cause. Discuss.

Cheers Concrete

- Education system - better now? - FP

As an ex-teacher (Head of English in a comprehensive school) I should like to offer a few comments on Concrete's post.

Much of what he says is true.

"My solution would be to change the school curriculum." It has been changed - many times over the last few years. No-one seems able to define what should be taught, or how.

"...the whole system has been corrupted by poor planning, even worse thinking and the ususal chronic short termism of many governments." Indeed, and the problem has been compounded by successive governments' unwillingness to listen to those who do the job.

The best schools still realise that a basic command of English and arithmetic is an essential part of life, even if text-speak and the calculator function on a mobile phone are there as well.

Concrete omits to say that a very big problem is the attitude of a large part of society whereby education and the importance of hard work and self-reliance are despised. Unfortunately, the very people affected by this are those who need education the most if their lives are to be improved.

Edited by FP on 28/12/2017 at 13:35

Well said FP. It has always eluded me why politicians and I include local authorities in this, have rarely sought or acted upon the input from the very people who deliver the service. IE the teachers. I would have though it so self evident that a smaller curriculum taught really well would be the best starting point. Master the basics and nearly everything else falls into place. Including, as Avant said, the confidence to promote yourself and find the talent within you that needs developing. This is not rocket science. All it needs is good teachers with more time to actually teach and the results would be spectacular. Assuming of course that discipline was brought back to previous levels. I dread to think what would have happened to me if I had tried to disrupt a class at school. With a quiet and attentive class much more can be achieved.

As for the attitude of society it is simply the fact that a whole generation from the start of the comprehensive sysytem was failed and now they neither have the intelect or inclination to make a rational judgement on todays youngsters. Like Avant I could not afford to educate my brood privately, or I would have. It seems obvious that everyone would wish to send their offspring to a school where discipline, hard work and many other life enhancing qualities are valued and nurtured. Thank you Shirley Williams, for nothing.

Well that is what I feel and within bounds I think most do too.

Cheers Concrete

Thank you Shirley Williams, for nothing.

Idea that, whatever its merits/failings, comprehensive education was somehow wholly a child of the Labour Party is a fallacy. Moves in that direction, at LEA level, were under way before Labour were elected in 1964, never mind 1974.

Indeed ISTR that the SoS for Education who signed off most schemes was one Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/12/2017 at 17:38

Thank you Shirley Williams, for nothing.

Idea that, whatever its merits/failings, comprehensive education was somehow wholly a child of the Labour Party is a fallacy. Moves in that direction, at LEA level, were under way before Labour were elected in 1964, never mind 1974.

Indeed ISTR that the SoS for Education who signed off most schemes was one Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

Thanks Bromptonaut. Your input as always is well informed. I don't excuse any politician for their interference in such a vital activity. Shirley happened to be the one who implemented it. I think Shirley is one of the better, more moderate politicians of the recent past and her integrity is not in question, merely her judgement in this case. Still: one mans' meat and all that.

I still maintain that the moves away from the then tradional forms of education were motivated by reasons of finance by the government and by the LEA's as a move against what they percieved to be elitism. The consequences of such a radical change, as we now all bear witness to, were obviously ignored.

Cheers Concrete

- Education system - better now? - KATRIYATSIA

Then the word went forth from the 'experts' that it cramped childrens' self expression if spelling and punctuation errors in their work meant marks deducted. Next we had the metric system, calculators allowed in exams etc. etc.

" I need to use different educational services (like this one: ******************) to do everything on time."

No, you don't. You need to get yourself organised and work harder. Actually, Spencer is most probably not a student at all, but merely a front for the spam his post represents.

No student needs to spend money on an essay-writing service that is nothing other than a short-cut, does not engage your brain and therefore doesn't develop your skills as a student. It is cheating and will get you into serious trouble at college - possibly even expulsion.

It is classified as plagiarism and students sign a statement every time work is submitted to confirm the work is entirely their own.

Colleges now use software to detect this sort of thing and it it's even suspected, the student concerned will at the very least be interviewed about the essay in question - which they will not have written and will know little about. At this point the cheating will have been exposed and the effect will be humiliating.

Education system - better now? - Avant

Ignoring Spammer the spencer, this is a good topic to resurrect. I was lucky - being an only child I had a superb education (prep school, Westminster School and Cambridge). But with our own four children we couldn't afford private education, so they went to comprehensives, which largely failed them.

One was academic enough to go on to A-levels, but was steered into compleltely the wriong subjects and dropped out (but got a degree in psychology in his late 20s); The others were less so and left after GCSEs, with no direction given as to what they should do. They are now aged 42 to 32 and those three are a plumber, a qualified children's nurse and an operating theatre nurse. They could all have found these, or other, careers so much earlier with proper direction from their school and recogntition that a less academic child is not necessarily a failure.

Part of my last job before retirement was recruiting accountancy trainees, and I was very glad to see the growth in non-graduate apprenticeships, in a wide variety of skills. Hopefully more schools are now recognising the need to find what each pupil's talents are and nurture them. I firmly believe that every person has a skill or talent, if only it can be found and developed.

Education system - better now? - scot22

Avant. I have been advocating what you say for nearly 50 years. A fundamental change is needed. Schools need to be organized to meet the needs of individuals and not simply driven by percentages for league tables.

I am still a primary school governor. It strives to enable all children flourish.

For the first time in many years I can see a glimmer of hope. Amanda Spielman, the current head of Ofsted, has commented on schools losing the purpose of education. She needs and deserves support. Let's hope the New Year sees the much needed improvement.

- Education system - better now? - Garstitir

totally agree! educational pressure is unbearable sometimes, however, I'm a diligent student. but I have to work part-time, so I have to say it's impossible. How's to save your mental health? and I'm not talking about the grades for your essays. But I've found a solution and I'm so happy with it!

Link removed.

Edited by Avant on 31/12/2017 at 14:22

I imagine Gar is yet another front for spamming.

However, if he's real and is actually a student, I hope he gets caught for cheating by getting someone else to write his work for him.

- Education system - better now? - Falkirk Bairn

60 years ago I went to the local High School (grammar E&W) - I thought nothing of it.

100-120 pupils per year - really good school - it was my opportunity to learn, go to Uni when only 5% of pupils went to Uni. Served me in good way all my life.

My 3 sons went to the local Comp & kept company with like minded pupils who wanted to get on in life. 50% were struggling to cope with a watered down academic curriculum that was failing them & still is 20+ years after my boys left.

A few years back SNP had a light bulb moment - tailor education to meet needs of pupils & give them a basis to earn a living - technical, computing, catering......... that lasted a week when they found out classes of 15 would be needed (doubling classes in Comprehensives) - as would new school or extensions with labs & workshops PLUS teachers with the right skills - teachers who do not exist.

My 3 sons did engineering @ Uni, their wives did arts/sciences - 20 years after leaving Uni the DiLs all work in the public sector & bump along on modest salaries & p***ed off in "dead men's shoe job"- even although they have similar grades of degree to their husbands - they earn a fraction of the family income.

I would suggest we need more grammar places & for non academic a more technical / general education that might MIGHT! give them skills for the rest of their lives. The problrm is the Govt will not spend the money - look at the booming economies of the world - Education is #1.

- Education system - better now? - nick62

John Major did the education of more "hands-on" but clever students no favours when he aboloished the Polytechnics, what a loat of old cobblers that turned-out to be.

I left school at 16 and got a PROPER apprenticeship (back in the late 70's). The local technical college where all the apprentices from the local town attended for an EITB (Engineering Industry Training Board) "first year off the job" full time course, was demolished for housing about 10 years ago!

All the tutors were ex-industry blokes who had gone into teaching in their 40's and 50's and knew the job inside-out.

- Education system - better now? - John F

I am surprised no-one has mentioned what to me is the most worrying thing about the UK education system - the development and, appallingly, political encouragement of sectarianism.

From provincial Northern Ireland to inner city 'faith' schools, some children are indoctrinated to believe their particular culture or race is superior to others. The authorities are unwilling to close some medieval schools where the main aim seems to be to learn primitive religious texts by heart. Such children, often segregated by sex, are turned out utterly disorientated in and ignorant of time (no knowledge of evolution) and space (no knowledge of cosmology, not even knowing where the solar system is and no comprehension of the distance to the nearest star, let alone galaxy).

Even in mainstream schools I doubt if most sixth formers realise that the law allows them to eschew the daily statutory religious assembly.

- Education system - better now? - skidpan

When I was at seconday school Catholics were only allowed to attend the morning assembly if they had a letter from their parents giving their approval.

Many years later I worked in Further Education and when new students arrived they all had to take tests to prove their maths and english was up to the required standard. They could not get acceptance on the courses without the necessary passes at GCSE and A Level yet an unbelievable number required additional tuition. My boss was more than happy with the situation, they were paid handsomely to provide this tuition and would sign up anyone who wanted to join a course. They even signed up a 55 year old chap on a beauty course who took a class of 18 year old girls and their tutor hostage. The principal was furious when he learned they would loose funding since he was unable to finish the course due to his impending imprisonment.

- Education system - better now? - KATRIYATSIA

Geography doesn't seem to be taught these days, judging by young quiz contestants recently who think Texas is in South America, as is the river Nile, for example.

Many 'students' and even 'graduates' have most peculiar ideas about the geography of the UK, too. Maybe the widespread use of Sat Navs explains why many have never studied a road Atlas, as older generations used to.

I noted that several schools had organised "pupil strikes" demanding more action by the Government to stop Climate Change.

These are the same schools at which parents are fined £100 for taking children on holiday during term time, justified by the "loss of learning opportunity" These same schools glibly close at short notice for "Teacher training days" , which also reduce learning time and cause parents inconvenience and extra cost of childcare.

Some schools in this area arrange "educational" school trips to the USA and Caribbean for which parents are expected to stump up several hundred pounds per child.

A cynical person might suspect that such destinations and costs are calculated so that the accompanying teachers get a free exotic holiday, subsidised by struggling parents.

As in the case of third-rate so called Universities offering places to A-level failures in order to get bums on seats for the £9000 a year each represents, the system is corrupt, the true welfare of the children is less important than the profits to be made.

(Remember that my father, my aunt and my ex-wife were teachers for many years, good ones too, who were dedicated to the job)

I noted that several schools had organised "pupil strikes" demanding more action by the Government to stop Climate Change.

These are the same schools at which parents are fined £100 for taking children on holiday during term time, justified by the "loss of learning opportunity" These same schools glibly close at short notice for "Teacher training days" , which also reduce learning time and cause parents inconvenience and extra cost of childcare.

As I understand it it's students rather than schools that organised Climate Change protests. Such action does of course present an excellent peg on which to hang a discussion from Geographers and others about global warming. I'd like to think that geography has moved on from locationg Yorkshire's mill towns and identifying their products.

There's no correlation between those strikes and schools fining parents over term time holidays. There's a perfectly good debate to be held about how idea that travel broadens mind plays versus lost days in school but fact is government has decided latter are sacrosanct and imposed laws.

And one other thing. In all years my wife was a teacher and my kids were at school, thirty plus years across the piece I never saw a training day announced at 'drop of a hat'. They were always either before or after holidays and published a year in advance. If an ad-hoc one were needed it would probably be associated with government moving the curricular goalposts at 'the drop of a hat'.

"Some schools in this area arrange "educational" school trips to the USA and Caribbean for which parents are expected to stump up several hundred pounds per child.

A cynical person might suspect that such destinations and costs are calculated so that the accompanying teachers get a free exotic holiday, subsidised by struggling parents."

Others have commented on some of the more egregious statements in this post, but the notion that teachers responsible for a group of teenagers abroad means a "free holiday" is risible.

Edited by FP on 24/03/2019 at 19:42

"Some schools in this area arrange "educational" school trips to the USA and Caribbean for which parents are expected to stump up several hundred pounds per child.

A cynical person might suspect that such destinations and costs are calculated so that the accompanying teachers get a free exotic holiday, subsidised by struggling parents."

Others have commented on some of the more egregious statements in this post, but the notion that teachers responsible for a group of teenagers abroad means a "free holiday" is risible.

The issue is that the cost of these exotic destinations is not affordable for many parents: this leads to either serious financial strain or their children are unable to go, hence feeling deprived or disrespected by those who can go. School trips for our children were to France and Germany, much less costly and likely to be more useful in future.

"The issue is that the cost of these exotic destinations is not affordable for many parents: this leads to either serious financial strain or their children are unable to go, hence feeling deprived or disrespected by those who can go."

That may be the case, but that's not what your previous post was saying.

"A cynical person might suspect that such destinations and costs are calculated so that the accompanying teachers get a free exotic holiday, subsidised by struggling parents."

This makes it clear you believe that somehow the costs to the parents are involved when the details of the trip are decided, and that this leads to the teachers getting "a free exotic holiday". As I said, looking after a group of teenagers is no holiday (to whichever country they go) and the money paid by parents does not make a profit for the school or the teachers.

The issue is that the cost of these exotic destinations is not affordable for many parents: this leads to either serious financial strain or their children are unable to go, hence feeling deprived or disrespected by those who can go. School trips for our children were to France and Germany, much less costly and likely to be more useful in future.

I'd broadly agree to extent that for almost any form of school trip there will be a cohort for whom cost is not affordable. Well over 40 years ago when I was at school some kids' parents couldn't afford bus and admission for a trip 40 miles down the road to an Industrial Museum. In that case the school paid and probably same today for those struggling on benefits.

Not clear what qualifies a destination to be 'exotic' but in my childhood flights to USA were divvied up between BOAC, Pan Am and TWA and cost a fortune. Very different now, even Leeds Bradford airport has flights to NYC, albeit only seasonal'. Same with intra european flights, more flights daily from Leeds to Spain then there were in a month in 1978.

Comparing today with what we could do in seventies is to compare Bananas with Elephants.

My daughter went to Ecuador with World Challenge. She had to raise money herself They were closely supervised at ALL times as were British kids on a Spanish trip to Granada I met on Saturday. We chatted briefly to one of the teachers who turned out to know some of same schools Mrs B had taught in.

Anybody who thinks either she or those with my daughter's expedition were having a holiday needs their bumps felt.

- Education system - better now? - Emmahope

Hi! Writing a college essay becomes even more difficult when single person is responsible for the completion and submission of the whole assignment. It's really hard to produce xxxx. Here come for help writing services.

Link deleted and Emma-nohope's account disabled.)

Edited by Avant on 20/03/2019 at 15:20

- Education system - better now? - Engineer Andy

Why would anyone use your 'service' if you cannot even write your advert in proper English?

((facepalm)) and reported as spam.

- Education system - better now? - Leif
I think you see the past through rose tinted spectacles.When I grew up we tugged our forelocks at our betters, who spoke with plummy accents. Okay, the 60’s had gone, but change still had not taken place. A minority went to uni, many if not most left school with minimal qualifications, we had rigid formal education of an elitist nature. Children were expected to keep quiet. The young were expected to kow tow to their elders. Our manufacturing was a mess, with poor quality and antiquated methods. And we were emotionally repressed.

Today more people go to uni, we have a higher standard of living, more people do better jobs with higher pay and more intellectual reward. The young in my experience are mostly polite and respectful, but they will speak, and express their views. We are less repressed, and less hypocritical. Minorities are treated better, with less bullying, women are treated with more respect, although equality is not yet here.

But newspaper journalists are often mathematically and scientifically illiterate, just as they were in the past. Politicians talk jingoistic nonsense, just as they always have done, and we vote for them.

For me the real threat to our way of life is the growth of Silicon Valley social media companies. Newspapers are struggling, and in place of paid journalism, we are relying on news spread by social media, which is more often than not corrupt and inaccurate. Russia spends huge amounts spreading fake news. Conspiracy theories abound, there is a lack of independent quality analysis. Instead news is spread by people with agendas that are antithetical to our best interests, designed to further their interests. China is asserting itself, using military force to claim large parts of the South China Sea, threatening to invade Taiwan, and buying up Africa. At some stage their may well,be a huge confrontation with China, or perhaps we will realise that they now dominate, and we must give in peacefully.
- Education system - better now? - Sofa Spud

While general standards of grammar and spelling might have slipped since the 1960s, I'm old enough to remember that even in the 1970's it wasn't that unusual to find adults in unskilled working-class jobs who were illiterate, as in 'could not read or write'. These people were often very good at covering up their illiteracy with excuses - e.g. "I can't quite read that, I left my glasses in the car." etc. Nowadays everyone under the age of 30 knows how to text.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 07/05/2020 at 12:59

While general standards of grammar and spelling might have slipped since the 1960s, I'm old enough to remember that even in the 1970's it wasn't that unusual to find adults in unskilled working-class jobs who were illiterate, as in 'could not read or write'. These people were often very good at covering up their illiteracy with excuses - e.g. "I can't quite read that, I left my glasses in the car." etc.

There is still a significant group, including some of the under thirties, who struggle to read/write. Not really surprising, both are complex tasks requiring a degree of aptitude and complex motor/co-ordination skills.

Some of them can be helped with the right support as part of primary and secondary education or as adults but teaching 'remedial' reading is a skilled task.

The current emphasis on tests, particularly those one can fail be perceived to fail, are no help at all. If you've got to age nine or ten and repeatedly failed it's no great surprise if you disengage to avoid failing yet again.

- Education system - better now? - Engineer Andy

What's sad is that a good number of younger people are far more adept with a computer than reading and writing generally. The influence of computer games vs reading books (of all types) and the Internet especially un) social media has, in my view, a LOT to play. It came up in the Intelligence Test programme on BBC2 the other night.

What's sad is that many parents think that schooling alone is sufficient for their kids to learn, especially in their early years, prefering to plonk them in front of the TV or giving them a tablet/mobile phone to keep them occupied, rather than to help them actually learn useful skills alongside nursey and school teaching.

I agree in part that overly testing children, especially when teachers teach 'to the test' (or as more appear to do nowadays, give them the answers so their personal performance and of the school can be shown to be high) and kids don't actually learn useful skills, facts and concepts, some testing is needed to ascertain both the achievement level of the children and teachers, to:

• To identify both strengths and weaknesses in both parties and to see wherefurther improvements can be made or encouragement in areas of high skill;
  • To track progress in individuals throughout their school life, teachers in their career and to spot issues, variations and report progress where differences in background, school, region, policy/curriculum are concerned.

What testing should not be about is purely 'passing or failing', but failing is, I'm afraid to say, part of life. What SHOULD be encouraged is the development of everyone's knowledge and skills to the best they can. Sometimes that means some people won't achieve much in life, but that doesn't mean they won't be valued if they can be helped to find something they can do that makes a positive and rewarding contribution to scoiety and their own well-being.

The concept that those of a certain political persuasion (including, sadly, a great number of ideologues in the [unionised state] teaching profession) that kids should never be put in a position to fail is daft, because of the reason I gave above. It's the reason why so many graduates now do poorly in the workplace compared to previous generations, and so many more of them fit into the entitled snowflake grouping.

I've seen many of them in my corner of engineering.

Very well put, Andy.

Gosh, this old thread rattles along!! Some good comments there Andy. I too experienced the new engineers, straight from university and into the big wide world. That is when the learning really starts. Having to cope with your arguments being scrutinised and sometimes rejected is all part and parcel towards making you a better engineer and a person too. If it all handles well the results can be life enhancing for all concerned. Apart from the exceptional few we virtually had to teach them spelling and grammar. Otherwise their reports were one long sentence and very jumbled. Pity really, we had better things to do. The MD would only allow certain people to write anything that was available to our clients, that was for good reason. So the client would not think they were dealing with uneducated people. I personally find it unforgivable that personal or political agenda are put before good common sense, not only in education but most walks of life that are operated by the state, be it local or national. Shame.

Cheers Concrete

- Education system - better now? - Joe-Alex

Until the 1960s schools spent considerable effort into teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. This included spelling, punctuation, comprehension and mental arithmetic.

I know for damned sure that I was losing marks on tests in the 1990's. And we were never allowed calculators in exams. And I don't understand why you have an issue with the metric system; it is a vast improvement on the imperial system.

The result is that literacy and numeracy seem to have declined (even among teachers!)

Newspapers don't seem to employ proofreaders, so misspellings and malapropisms are more frequent than they used to be.

Agreed. I still find it shocking how many people don't proof-read an article, whether that is online or in physical media. And from so-called 'professionals'.

TV news programmes and documentaries often quote figures, using metric units, which are wrong by a factor of 10 or 100 - few people have a feel for how large a Newton is, but have a good idea what a pound weighs.

I thought a Newton was a unit of force, not size or weight?

On this forum we often see cases where problems might have been avoided if the poster had read the small print or read the manual and made sure they understood the meaning.

Is this a result of the universal use of digital media, the emphasis on 'soft' teaching methods, TV, electronic games and 'social media' taking so much of childrens' time?

Soft teaching? Hmmm, I wouldn't say so. Use of digital media? Definitely. With almost all devices now having a calculator and auto-correct, why bother learning the intricacies of maths and literacy (In case it isn't obvious, I'm being facetious).

Or am I just hopelessly out of date as my daughter says?

I wouldn't say so. With schools training children to pass exams so as to climb that damned National School Leaderboard as high as possible, and digital media robbing children of any need to think for themselves, it doesn't surprise me that the actual business of learning is left at the wayside.