BMW Mini One 2008 - Boot switch not working - Snakey

Our 2008 Mini boot switch seems to have stopped working. The boot can still be opened with the keyfob and the latch can be seem to work when using the keyfob. I guess the boot switch has just failed (the number plate lights in the assembly are still working so power is getting there)

The only thing is, the switch itself is sealed into the strip assembly, with plastic welded edges and a sealed rubber switch cover, which is good sense for waterproofing but means repair is tricky!

Before I hack this apart, has anyone done this? I'm not sure why a switch would stop working as it 'feels' ok, but once I start dismantling it theres no going back, unless I buy a whole new assembly.

BMW Mini One 2008 - Boot switch not working - elekie&a/c doctor

The boot release microswitch is part of the numberplate light plastic strip.It can only be replaced as a complete assy.The whole unit is plastic welded together.you will destroy it trying to take it apart.The circuit to the no plate lights is different to the boot release system.It may not be the switch at fault.hth

Hmm thats what bothers me, is there any way of testing the switch?

It is not possible to get to the switch directly,but its function can be tested from the 3 pin connector at the back of the number plate light strip.Remove this (4 screws from memory)and disconnect the electrical plug.With the use of a digimeter it is possible to work out which pair attach to the switch.One wire is common to both the lights and boot switch.hth

Thanks for the info. I've managed to find 11.9 volts across two of the wires, but nothing changes when I'm pressing the switch - I'm guessing that means the switch is just not operating!

Not cheap these things, ebay brings up scrap ones for £50!

I would price up a new one.Probably not much more,or could be less with a little discount from a helpful dealer.

Managed to get a multimeter on the switch terminals while someone pressed the button and it showed an open circuit, so it does look like the switch is gone!

I see what you mean about new - they're £65 on ebay for new chrome ones, and £50 for second hand black ones, hardly worth the risk!

Cheers for the help! BMW dealer tomorrow!