Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - CliffDee

On the motorway I am mostly overtaken by vans. How fast will a Sprinter go? Is it the fastest van? It seems to be.

Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - Oli rag

A van driver once told me that his sprinter " easily did 100 mph".

Are they not limited, I don't mean by law?

Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - RT

Are they not limited, I don't mean by law?

No - commercial vehicles over 3501kg MAM are required to have 56mph limiters - originally only those over 7500kg but imposed on the 3501-7500kg class a few years ago.

A few "white vans" have a jumbo version available which would be limited to 56mph but the vast majority of white vans are permiited to do 70mph on motorways but not dual carriageways.

Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - CliffDee

I know people who have paced them at 100. Is that flat out?

Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - Ian_SW

The top engine in a Sprinter is only about 140BHP, so I doubt they'd get far beyond 100mph for something with that much air resistance. For comparison, a Zafira (obviously much smaller and less air resistance) with similar power tops out at about 120mph.

If you want to see a really fast van, how about one of these:

www.vitosport.co.uk/vanx.php#engines

I've never seen one here, but they are very popular with couriers in southern Germany, where they frequently get used to their full potential on the Autobahns. Last time I was there, one went flying past me like I was stationary ... I was almost flat out in an Astra diesel doing about 160kph at the time!

Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - gordonbennet

Company vehicles driven absolutely flat out are always quite quick, something to do with the driver not usually footing the bill for fuel and damage.

Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - davecooper
Exactly. Many of my work coleagues have speeding convictions, however, none from their private cars, all in company cars! Having to pay for fuel certainly helps moderate the right foot
Merceses Sprinter - Fastest Van - jc2

I thought the Astravan was the fastest-no matter where you go and at any speed,there's always an Astravan up your boot!