Smoking and woolly thinking - galileo

The BBC was as usual putting out the anti smoking propaganda along with the news on plain packaging of cigarettes. To wit, 80,000 die prematurly due to smoking, treating smokers costs the NHS millions etc.

No balancing figures for the even more millions the Treasury rakes in from tobacco duty and VAT on cigarettes, nor the savings in pensions which the dead smokers don't draw.

I gave up smoking in 1990 so no personal affect on me but I wish politicians and health fanatics would tell the whole financial story - it's no good moaning that we all live too long and then trying to influence our behaviour to increase life expectancy.

If all the smokers /drinkers gave up their bad habits, how much would taxes go up?

Smoking and woolly thinking - jamie745

No balancing figures for the even more millions the Treasury rakes in from tobacco duty and VAT on cigarettes

Well that's grossly inaccurate for a start. It's not millions. It's billions.

Tobacco duty alone raises around £10billion a year for the Treasury and is usually the taxmans 10th biggest income stream, just narrowly behind Stamp Duty.

Smoking and woolly thinking - Bromptonaut

Simple statement of fact. Smoking costs 80k lives a year and a helluva lot in treatment costs. Mot just when/if the terminal stage is reached but before hand with breathing and circulation trouble, the latter possibly leading to amputations.

No requirement to balance it other than by possibly having a spokesman from 'forest' or big tobacco PLC to put their side of case. Looking at unbranded packs their pitch is that such packs will make sale of dodgy counterfeit cigs made of floor sweepeings and camel dung easier to pass off.

Alamist claptrap. They just need garish packs to recruit 80k youngsters to replace the coil shufflers!!

Smoking and woolly thinking - gordonbennet

I have no axe to grind with the smoking lobby either way, i don't smoke and never have but i don't see why they are the persecution target of the moment either...mind you its given motorists a breathing space (no pun intended) till its their turn to be whipped again when those in charge think they might have a couple of quid left over that could be raked in as tax.

I do have a problem with the state broadcaster increasingly blatantly becoming the propaganda wing of the political class that manages this country for the EU masterstate.

Smoking and woolly thinking - Andrew-T

I do have a problem with the state broadcaster increasingly blatantly becoming the propaganda wing of the political class that manages this country for the EU masterstate.

If you consider the BBC is the 'state broadcaster' why do you find it odd that it puts out the massages of that political class?

The BBC was as usual putting out the anti smoking propaganda along with the news on plain packaging of cigarettes.

No balancing figures for the even more millions the Treasury rakes in from tobacco duty and VAT on cigarettes, nor the savings in pensions which the dead smokers don't draw.

Not sure whether you are getting at the BBC or the Govt. If (improbably) this new move reduces the sale of tobacco significantly there will be less tax income, and later more pensions and care-of-aged to pay for. So the Govt's apparent intention is only to make us healthier. Tax on tobacco is a morally-good double whammy as it depends on addiction while trying to persuade people to overcome it by hitting their wallets. They can, if they try hard enough, choose to stop and save money.

I didn't think anyone was moaning about living too long, just wondering how to continue to pay state pension from 65 onwards.

Simple statement of fact. Smoking costs 80k lives a year and a helluva lot in treatment costs.

Simple statement of fact; smoking earns the Treasury £10billion a year. I know you ignore that but I'd expect nothing less from a massive supporter of Big Government such as yourself.

No requirement to balance it other than by possibly having a spokesman from 'forest' or big tobacco PLC to put their side of case.

If 'smokers cost the NHS x amount...' is deemed a relevant argument, then surely the fact the Treasury raises £10billion a year from tobacco duty should be stated? You seem to think not.

'No requirement to balance it...' is a typical response of someone who doesn't want any point of view other than their own to be heard.

If you consider the BBC is the 'state broadcaster' why do you find it odd that it puts out the massages of that political class?

Technically the BBC is a quango. It's funded by tax but supposedly independent of Government. I'd like to believe the BBC isn't biased, but rather their coverage is endemic of a London based, professional, elite political & media class which is a soft left closed shop of people who are all identical to each other.

I didn't think anyone was moaning about living too long, just wondering how to continue to pay state pension from 65 onwards.

Well we can't afford to pay pensions. We never could afford to pay pensions, just nobody ever got old enough to find out.

The original State Pension was introduced in 1908. It was a means tested benefit available to those over 70, so we've brought the retirement down over the last 105 years, while life expectancy has gone up.

It's mad.

Mad.

Jamie has neatly captured the point of my original post, the logic and arithmetic are obvious to anyone with an open mind.

Pity we don't have numerate and open minded politicians.

I think political parties must expell people of numeracy, because neither front bench can work a calculator. 30 odd Oxbridge degrees between them and they still think you can spend more than you've got.

But Jamie, you've been telling us for long enough that the politicians only do as instructed by their team of civil servants, of which there are far too many. They are the ones with the calculators, surely?

< Simple statement of fact; smoking earns the Treasury £10billion a year. >

So do you have a problem with that?

But Jamie, you've been telling us for long enough that the politicians only do as instructed by their team of civil servants, of which there are far too many. They are the ones with the calculators, surely?

I haven't been saying that, although I'm sure the Civil Service establishment is incredibly strong and has plentiful input into proceedings. Ultimately the Civil Servants are quite happy so long as they're kept in a job. Beyond that they're not too bothered.

< Simple statement of fact; smoking earns the Treasury £10billion a year. >

So do you have a problem with that?

Not especially no. I'd like it to be lower, because I think the fact you can buy tobacco cheaper in France when it's made in Nottingham is bizarre. I also think we spend far too much time and money policing counterfeit shipments, which would naturally decrease if tax was reduced.

My problem is with the Treasury being thrilled with people smoking, while the Dept of Health round the corner demonises those who do.

Joined up Government please.

< I think the fact you can buy tobacco cheaper in France when it's made in Nottingham is bizarre. .... Joined up Government please. >

How do you join up government so that the French taxation rate is equal to ours? I thought you didn't like EU uniformity?

Life is full of bizarrity (?), and eliminating some examples often creates two others.

How do you join up government so that the French taxation rate is equal to ours?

Only in your butchered quoting of my post does it appear I did. Anybody who reads what I wrote, will see the 'joined up Government' remark was in reference to how the Treasury loves smokers, but the Dept of Health dispise them. I was calling for a more joined up approach between the two.

As for the whole French taxation thing, I do think it's bizarre that tobacco made in Nottingham can be bought cheaper in France than in Nottingham. The fact you can buy duty free from France and bring it back shows the whole thing up for the farce it is.

I don't want harmonised, uniform taxes between us and France. I want us to compete with the French. We could surely cut down a healthy chunk of the counterfeiting & duty free import market by simply cutting the tax.

Governments only ever cut taxes when an election is due.

I want us to compete with the French. We could surely cut down a healthy chunk of the counterfeiting & duty free import market by simply cutting the tax.

I think the whole idea of duty-free spending at imaginary national borders is a strange anachronism in these days of global travel for all. Decide what should be taxed where, and don't make silly exceptions. Most airports are supermarkets with adjacent runways - silly.

Yes, we could 'simply' cut the tax - but why should the French set our rate of tobacco tax? If you accept that the overall tax-take cannot be reduced, where should the shortfall be made up? As I said, eliminate one difficulty, create another two.

Edited by Andrew-T on 30/11/2013 at 17:06

My problem is with the Treasury being thrilled with people smoking, while the Dept of Health round the corner demonises those who do.

Joined up Government please.

In what sense is it not joined up?

There is a sceinetific and political concensus that smoking is bad for our health (that's why there's no need to 'balance' o called anti tobbacco propaganda.

Government has placed punitive taxes in tobacco as part of the policy consequence of that consensus. Imposition of those taxes and a policy of keeping pushing them up has gone on for the whole of my lifetime without apparent variation between diferent governments.

In no way does the treasury get thrilled by smoking. It's a good source of revenue but if the health message were to get greater traction so the 'take' declined steeply than the policy has succeded. New taxes would have to be raised to fill the gap (or cuts made).

There is an analogy with motor taxation. The response to emmissions related VED has been that each new model puts out less CO2. Eventualy the policy will, all new vehicles being ultra low or zero emmissions, have acheived its objective.

At that point it is likely we will see a move back to flat rate VED or to use of some characteristic other than emmisions to differentiate.

In summary, if you are a taxpayer, you can't win. If they could tax breathing, they would, anything to yield enough of our money to fund their pet theories/obsessions/expenses.

In summary, if you are a taxpayer, you can't win. If they could tax breathing, they would, anything to yield enough of our money to fund their pet theories/obsessions/expenses.

Is it OK to be a tax-spender and a winner? If you accept that society needs a source of money for the less well-off, pay your taxes, grin and bear it.

What do you expect to 'win' anyway?

Smoking and woolly thinking - Armitage Shanks {p}

Anybody who dies from smoking will either cease drawing state benefits or not live long enough to claim them,having contributed all their lives

In what sense is it not joined up?

In the sense that Government bangs on about smoking being awful & evil, while at the same time raking in £10billion from it and whinging about how illegal shipments 'cost the Treasury money.'

You cannot have it every which way.

There is a sceinetific and political concensus that smoking is bad for our health (that's why there's no need to 'balance' o called anti tobbacco propaganda.

History is full of examples where the establishments consensus has been wrong. I don't think anybody is asking for the BBC to claim smoking is good for you, but if they're going to use 'cost to the NHS' as a relevant point, they should also state how much the Government earns out of smoking.

I fear for you and your 'no need to balance things because Government says so' mentality.

New taxes would have to be raised to fill the gap (or cuts made).

Your motoring analogy neatly proves my point, not yours. You've just explained that if the policy 'suceeds' the Treasury will tax us some other way, proving the most important thing to the Government is tax revenue. Not public health. Not co2 emissions. That's where Government proves to be inconsistent and conflicted.

At that point it is likely we will see a move back to flat rate VED or to use of some characteristic other than emmisions to differentiate.

Rough translation into English; when the public finally find a way around taxes, the Government will move the goalposts yet again.

why should the French set our rate of tobacco tax?

They don't, but the French can influence how much our tobacco tax actually raises for the Treasury. It's called international competition. Globalisation is real my friend, it exists and it won't go away.

Global competition is our best defence against Big Government, because it means Government can only raise taxes to a certain level before money, jobs, tax revenue and talent moves abroad.

There's numerous examples of lower taxes actually leading to higher tax revenues.

If you accept that the overall tax-take cannot be reduced

I don't accept that.

? If you accept that society needs a source of money for the less well-off, pay your taxes, grin and bear it.

Oh back to the whole 'if you want lower taxes then you want babies to die' thing. Yeah, fed up of that.

Government receives more than enough to pay for people who can't pay for themselves. The problem is they choose to spend it on other things and themselves.

It's a bit like a bratty child. The only way they'll learn is by taking their sweets away.

< You cannot have it every which way. >

Maybe not, but you can try. Many people do, and government, as you are drumming into us.

< History is full of examples where the establishment's consensus has been wrong >

Come on, are you denying the smoking and cancer connection?

You really should be in politics, if you are not already. You can string together a lot of biased baloney and make it sound very credible. :-) >

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/12/2013 at 15:48

Come on, are you denying the smoking and cancer connection?

Why didn't you quote my next sentence where I said I don't expect anybody to say it's good for you?

It's probably overstated. There's people who've never smoked in their lives who get cancer, several types of cancer have no link to smoking at all so the blanket 'smoking causes cancer' message is a bit daft.

You can string together a lot of biased baloney and make it sound very credible

What part of my post specifically do you describe as biased baloney?

You're more suited to politics than myself due to your skilled knack at completely refusing to talk about anything that matters.

Why didn't you quote my next sentence where I said I don't expect anybody to say it's good for you?

It's probably overstated. There's people who've never smoked in their lives who get cancer, several types of cancer have no link to smoking at all so the blanket 'smoking causes cancer' message is a bit daft.

There was no reason to quote your next sentence. The clear implication of the sentence I quoted was that you found the smoking-cancer link (lung cancer to be specific) dubious and being unreasonably exploited by government. The link is thoroughly proved by experimentation, although as you suggest, some smokers are more susceptible than others. That is just a reflection of humans being genetically varied. It doesn't show that smoking has nothing to do with lung cancer.

But (yet again) one may believe whatever one cares to.

I fear for you and your 'no need to balance things because Government says so' mentality.

Not because government says so, there's pleanty of policy based evidence making, whether in education, justice or welfare with which I'd profoundly disagree.

There are other areas though, including the earth being round, links between smoking and cancer or more controversially climate change which are about physical science. On these there is no credible scientific evidence to which balance need be offered.

New taxes would have to be raised to fill the gap (or cuts made).

Your motoring analogy neatly proves my point, not yours. You've just explained that if the policy 'suceeds' the Treasury will tax us some other way, proving the most important thing to the Government is tax revenue. Not public health. Not co2 emissions. That's where Government proves to be inconsistent and conflicted.

They're not alternatives. If sometihng is 'bad' the government can use tax as part of it's armoury to prevent/deter. The money displaces some other taxation. If it that well drys up then it needs to be replaced.

There's numerous examples of lower taxes actually leading to higher tax revenues.

Lets have specific one.

Government receives more than enough to pay for people who can't pay for themselves. The problem is they choose to spend it on other things and themselves.

It's a bit like a bratty child. The only way they'll learn is by taking their sweets away.

Again we need spefics. Once you've accounted for Health, Welfare, Education, Defence and Law/Prisons there's not much of the cake left over. Over half of welfare is pensions which are politicaly untouchable. Changes in population mean both Education and Health run to keep still.

The idea that there's some huge fat store of waste just waiting to be cut is simply not true. Francis Maude trumpets loudly about the Quangos he's abolished. The savings though are a few million, less than that in reality as functions have simply been brought back into parent ministries.

Changes in population mean both Education and Health run to keep still.

Most of the increase in population is due to immigration and immigrants' high birth rates; this means schools have large numbers whose first language is not English, which costs more. Doctors, hospitals, local authorities and Police all incur extra cost when dealing with people with poor understanding of English, which exacerbates the problem of sheer increase in numbers.

Whose idea was it to encourage immigration? Chiefly the last Government, who saw it as a means of increasing its client state of voters, but our present leaders have only taken an interest since UKIP became more popular.

There are other areas though, including the earth being round

It isn't. It's an oblate spheroid.

or more controversially climate change which are about physical science. On these there is no credible scientific evidence to which balance need be offered.

Now that's just funny. It's painfully obvious you earn a salary out of the public sector status quo, because everyone else being kicked by it fundamentally disagrees with you. If there's one thing the BBC certainly needs to broadcast balance on, it's this complete con of man made climate change.

No matter how many times Government funded scientists have lovely summits and scream 'YOU ARE TO BLAME!!!, NOW GIVE US ALL OF YOUR MONEY!!!!' down our throats, all surveys show the public aren't buying it. I firmly believe that when I reach rocking chair age, I'll look back on this whole MMGW nonsense as the biggest con in my lifetime.

It's the modern day Corn Laws, and just like the Corn Laws it will eventually fail.

If sometihng is 'bad' the government can use tax as part of it's armoury to cash in on it

Edited for accuracy

Lets have specific one.

83% top rate of tax in the 1970s yeilded less tax revenue than 60% and 40% in the 1980s and 1990s. Though if you were in charge no doubt you'd view 83% as far too low yet still stamp your feet like a whining child when all the clever people flocked to other countries.

Again we need spefics

I could do an entire thread just on that.

Once you've accounted for Health, Welfare, Education, Defence and Law/Prisons there's not much of the cake left over.

That's only if we accept the idea that £220billion needs to be spent on Social Security and £130billion needs to be spent on the NHS. I fundamentally don't.

Over half of welfare is pensions which are politicaly untouchable

Politicians should've started raising retirement age and restricting universal pensions in the 1980s. It's their own fault they didn't.

Changes in population mean both Education and Health run to keep still.

That's what happens when you have an open door immigration policy to 26 other countries. That's what happens when you allow the population to increase by 4 million in 10 years. That's what happens when you allow 500,000 people to settle in Britain every year.

We now need to build 300 houses per day just to keep up with new migrants settling here, that's before any of our own people have a house to live in.

Mad.

The idea that there's some huge fat store of waste just waiting to be cut is simply not true.

Well you would say that because you earn a salary out of it. Our public services have an insidious disease of bureaucracy, middle management and financial wastage. We've still got Councils employing 'Climate Change Officers' on 40k a year while the same Council complains about being skint.

There is an absolutely massive store of waste which we could slash without harming the vulnerable, but there's too many vested interests, too many people like you working in them to ever make it happen.

Admirably summed up, Jamie!

Thanks galileo, I'm assuming you're a sensible person who actually has to earn your money. It probably doesn't land in your lap as a perpetual council grant every year.

I'd like to pose a question directly to Brompt, who always manages to stick up for every piece of Governmental gerrymandering.

In 2013-14, the Government will spend £720billion. Do you honestly believe all of it is completely necessary?

Discuss

I'd like to pose a question directly to Brompt, who always manages to stick up for every piece of Governmental gerrymandering.

In 2013-14, the Government will spend £720billion. Do you honestly believe all of it is completely necessary?

Discuss

Of course some of it is of arguable necessity. Asa start, do we need to replace Trident

But once you examine the detail of anything, inluding the sub £1m/yr advisory quangos, there are cases both ways. Within their specific remits they actually do good and productive work. The network of sinecures is a myth perpreated by the Mail etc.

You mentioned 'Climate Change Oficers'. Another title is 'Sustainabilty Managers'. They're job is to identify and manage waste. That arranging means things like getting best deals for recycling and making sure staf use them, sorting lights that turn off when zones of the office ar unnocupied or systems that log off and power down idle workstations.

What's bad about that?

You mentioned 'Climate Change Oficers'. Another title is 'Sustainabilty Managers'.

Yes I've noticed they're beginning to rename them.

What's bad about that?

The fact they're paid between £30,000 and £70,000 per year to do it.

Everything you mention there, is basic. A basic office manager could and should be doing those things. Setting a computer to power down when idle can be done in 20 seconds by a child, it does not require a 30k salary for a full time member of staff.

Where I work, we manage to not leave lights on needlessly and we remember to turn off our computers. I am yet to meet the apparently integral £30k a year staff member responsible.

They're job is to identify and manage waste.

What a fantastic irony. I bet you even kept a straight face when you typed that.

Sheffield Council is a good example, they spent £500,000 on Climate Change Officers salaries last year, as they have 12 of the b@stards. Do you really need 12 people to buy lightbulbs and a recycling bin?!

What about Diversity Officers? Equalities Officers? European Officers? My local Council, combined with 'Climate Change Officers' spends over £300,000 a year on salaries for these people. Once you start scrapping these jobs at every single council, it soon adds up.

Oxfordshire spends £328,000 a year on these peoples salaries. Luton spends a staggering £445,000 on salaries for those four groups I mentioned. The Greater London Authority spends a massive £815,000 a year on salaries for those four groups, including THIRTEEN 'Diversity Officers.'

Jesus christ on a motorbike.

Within their specific remits they actually do good and productive work

Ok let's pluck out a bizarre quango and have a look. Professional Standards Authority.

www.professionalstandards.org.uk/

This £2million shower who don't even publish spending below £25,000, is a regulator of regulators. Yep. You heard that right.

Who's going to regulate the regulator of the regulator? I mean who?! I need to know.

How about this one; Community Development Foundation

www.cdf.org.uk/

This £6million waste of space with a £90,000 per year CEO, just seems to be a website with lots of fluffy words nobody understands. Lots of stuff about Community Engagement & Foundation Grants Strategies. No wonder Councils have to spend so much translating websites into Polish.

The NHS is actually a better example for complete non-jobs. In fact right now the NHS is advertising for a Director of Communities & Engagement' for a salary up to £98,000 a year in Staffordshire. The job description? No idea, but the post holder will be expected to;

...have vision, imagination and flair to help develop the organisation and identify opportunities to respond to the changing external landscape.

If you can work out what this 295-word job advertisement actually means, please let me know.

www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=9...7

Edited by jamie745 on 01/12/2013 at 22:54

There are other areas though, including the earth being round

It isn't. It's an oblate spheroid.

A few posts back you accused me of refusing to discuss 'things that really matter'. Your schoolboy response to Brompt above is pathetically unfunny. The earth is probably closer to an accurate sphere than most everyday things such as footballs or oranges, which I am sure even you do not call oblate spheroids.

I am wondering where you find the time to spend littering this site with verbiage.

A few posts back you accused me of refusing to discuss 'things that really matter'.

And you've just done it again by only responding to the most irrelevant part of what I said.

For what it's worth, it was a bit of pedantic semantics thrown in to wind people like you up.

It's Sunday by the way. I like reading. Not much of a clubbing sort.

Jamie,

You should write for the Mail. You hit just the right tone of outraged ignorance at the real world with an echo of some rose tinted age where we didn't need this stuff.

The £50k in Sheffield works out at around £45k per head. That figure will include a chunk of Employer's NI and Pension Contribution. The average sum per employee as gross salary will be at least 10k less and no doubt there is a hierarchy so the most junior ones will probably be on £20k. Good whack but not a King's ransom.

Sheffield is a very large unitary authority with, including its schools, libraries etc hundreds of buildings and vehicles as well as thousands of staff.

Diversity is not some sop to minorities. It's about compliance with the law and about actually getting the best from your staff.

The PSA is interesting as I spent a chunk of my career in a similar body. The 'landscape' of professional regulation in the healthcare sector is, because of the way it has evolved, very complicated with both overlaps and gaps. We've had enough health and social care scandals in the last 20yrs to suggest the system is not working as well as it might.

Trying to combine all those bodies into one 'super regulator' is one option. That would be a massive task both organisationally and politically as powerful professions engaged in hand to hand fighting to preserve their territory.

The alternative is to get some sort of oversight to work with the bodies, setting common standards, identifying gaps and reporting to Parliament on its findings. In that context £2m will buy you an advisory board of 20 experts from or associated with the professions involved. Pay them say £300 a day for 50 days a year plus an Independent Chair and a staff of 15 to support them. Add in cost of offices and national travel and that’s the way the money goes.

If the PSA didn't exist its job would be done by Civil Servants in the Department of Health.

CDF is no longer a NDPB having been floated off in a social enterprise/charitable model. The salary of £90k is more than twice the salary I was on when I left the Civil Service but it's not a lot for a Chief Exec. I suspect £6m is not running cost but includes grants that the organisation administers.

If you cannot understand the NHS job description, the proper one that opens as a pdf from the ad (which is admittedly written in recruitese) then you're less bright than I thought.

The job is working for one of the new 'Core Commissioning Groups' set up as part of the top down reorganisation the Tory manifesto said wouldn't happen. Health care is the subject of massive interest from public, media and politics. This job is to deal with that interest providing briefing, responses etc for the organisation and the purchasing GPs in its (large) area. Classic example of why the NHS needs managers etc.

Or would you rather Doctors waste their time trying to be media professionals?

You should write for the Mail

Typical response. Meaningless guff.

You hit just the right tone of outraged ignorance at the real world

No my friend it is you who has never stepped foot in reality. In the real world we manage to comply with anti discrimination law without the need for a specialist officer on the subject.

My Operations Manager is the boffin on all of that, he probably does the work of 7 Civil Service bureaucrats all by himself - and for less money and a worse pension. In the real world of business, what matters is selling stuff for more than you buy it for. Only the public sector has the time to worry about diversity training.

The country cannot afford all these one-trick-ponies.

echo of some rose tinted age where we didn't need this stuff.

We don't need this stuff now. The Government themselves say the amount of quangos has doubled since 2005. I seem to remember 2004 being pretty much alright.

Good whack but not a King's ransom.

Whether all of the £500,000 goes to the employees themselves is none of my concern. The point is if you cut all these jobs from every council, you eventually end up saving a very significant number while hurting nobody.

I see councils & Government going after the needy and disabled to 'save money' while protecting these bureaucrats, non-jobs and needless spending. I'd rather cut Diversity Officers than disability benefits if that's okay with you.

Diversity is not some sop to minorities. It's about compliance with the law and about actually getting the best from your staff.

The law is the law and we have a justice system to enforce it. Councils don't need to pay out for a gold-plating busybody.

I spent a chunk of my career in a similar body

Why am I not surprised?

If the PSA didn't exist its job would be done by Civil Servants in the Department of Health.

Good idea, first one you've come up with. We already pay for the Dept of Health, let's use it! Sensible people in the real world assume regulating healthcare is already the Department of Healths job, as healthcare in the UK is centrally managed and centrally funded.

The salary of £90k is more than twice the salary I was on when I left the Civil Service but it's not a lot for a Chief Exec.

It's alot when I'm paying for it and the very organisation they run is needless. Barclays can pay their CEO whatever they like, taxpayer funded organisations can't.

I suspect £6m is not running cost but includes grants that the organisation administers.

It's the total amount they receive from the Government - ie all of us.

Classic example of why the NHS needs managers etc.

Of course it does, but it doesn't need as many as it's got. The French get far better value for money out of their socialised medicine system than we do. It can be done without the sky falling in.

Or would you rather Doctors waste their time trying to be media professionals?

No and you knew that was a very weak strawman when you wrote it.

I'd rather cut management in the NHS to pay for more doctors and nurses. It can be re-organised, made simpler, cheaper and better. It can be done, other countries have shown it can be done. People like you will never accept that because a cut in bureaucracy cuts down your own employment chances, which is the insidious disease I mentioned earlier.

It is impossible to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it - Upton Sinclair, 1935

Edited by jamie745 on 02/12/2013 at 16:42

Jamie,

A cannot be arxed responding properly to this. It's the usual mix of verbiage, bluster, mild insult and unsupported assertion.

There are good reasons for providing services like PSA at arm's length. In simple terms it reduces the scope for political micro management and ensures the real experts get a voice that's heard publicly and in parliamnt.

I'm sure we'd all like more doctors in the NHS. If you believe it could be made simpler etc then get into politics and do it.

Lansley's Act pushed it in the opposite direction and imposed all the costs of a re-organisation. His Civil Servants told him exactly what the consequence would be but he ploughed on regardless. Now they've got to make the whole mess work and do so while under unprecedented and aggressive public and media focus. Which is why posts like the one that raised your ire exist.

Over and out

There are good reasons for providing services like PSA at arm's length....ensures the real experts get a voice that's heard publicly and in parliamnt.

I'd never heard of the PSA until I began looking at useless, expensive organisations and your comments on Lansley proves it doesn't help any expert get heard in Parliament either.

Look, let's boil this down to something incredibly simple; The Government borrowed £120billion last year to maintain spending. It's probably not going to be much lower this year or next. The national debt is increasing by 10% per year, it will have increased by 50% when Cameron leaves office.

That is not unsubstantiated. It's not left wing or right wing. It's not socialist or free market. It's not Daily Mail or Guardian. It's just undeniable, mathematical fact.

Our debt to GDP ratio is worse than Greece (or it was the last I looked). This is incredibly serious. Much more serious than whether Quangos have officers dedicated to interpreting equality law or not. This is so serious that if it goes on much longer, frankly the subject of our disageement will become incredibly small fry.

The Government is now over 50% of the British economy. Even Gordon Brown said his 'golden rule' of fiscal prudcence was for the State to not exceed 40% of the economy. This has gone beyond old fashioned left-right philosophy into pure madness.

We need to reduce public spending by £120billion per year. What do you believe should be cut to achieve that figure? I'm actually quite curious as to what you believe we could and should do without.

Jamie,

As usual you've moved the goalposts as soon as you lack even the basics of aan argued justified response to your ramblings.

If the world is bothered about our borowings appearing greater than those of Greece then we'd be paying the same interest as they are.

We're not.

Your response to my 'ramblings' was utterly pathetic. There's no point discussing it further because you are so fanatically signed up to the Big Government, massive bureaucracy agenda.

Is your Greece remark your way of saying spending £120billion more than we've got every year is absolutely fine and nothing worth worrying about? I asked you to identify cuts and that was your response. Typical public sector 'oh who cares, it grows on trees anyway' response.

We may not be paying as high interest as Greece, but we still spent £45billion on debt interest last year. More than we spent on our Schools. More than on Defence. Are you telling m that is absolutely fine? I ask because it seems to be your opinion. Do you honestly believe public sector cuts are 100 percent nastyness and not even slightly necessary?

Do you not see that a 'we don't need to ever pay it back' attitude will eventually lead to us paying far more than Greece? Are you seriously that stupid?

You cannot be that stupid. Seriously.

Edited by jamie745 on 02/12/2013 at 21:39

Jamie,

Whatever. I don't participate in this stuff because you wind me up. I do it because therre are other perspectives.

Why do you think I'm unconcerened and think £120B a year is just fine? My point was simply that the markets don't seem over concerned which gives us a breathing space.

I do not believe that cuts are 100% nastyness either. As you don't seem to want understand the complexity of real life government then trying to point out while a Mailesque kill the quangos and sack NHS managers agenda is fantasy is obviously a waste of time.

Why do you think I'm unconcerened and think £120B a year is just fine?

Because you have still not outlined even £1 of Government spending you would cut. You do your very best to defend every pound of the overspend. You desperately hunt for reasons why not a single public official can be sacked. It's pathetic.

Greece is in terminal decline, with riots on the streets and the rich investing in Kalashnikovs. They're living with elected politicians being removed, the nation controlled by 3 outside officials and an openly Nazi party getting 20% of the vote as they're so indebted there's nothing their Government can do anymore.

Are you telling me it has to get that bad here before you let go of Climate Change advisors & Equalities Officers?

My point was simply that the markets don't seem over concerned which gives us a breathing space.

They're not 'over' concerned because they see a political attempt to reduce spending. The second Ed Balls comes in and advocates borrowing more, you'll see our interest levels spike hugely.

Of course we all know the Coalition hasn't made any cuts at all, they've merely slowed the rate of spending increases.

As you don't seem to want understand the complexity of real life government

I dont care how complex they've made it for themselves. They'll never sort it out until we take their money away, they're like children in that regard. Government will naturally overcomplicate things because it gives it an excuse to expand and spend more money, that's just a natural phenomenon.

while a Mailesque kill the quangos and sack NHS managers agenda is fantasy is obviously a waste of time.

Why do you have an obsession with the Daily Mail? You must read it far more than I do. I've never bought a copy in my life.

I have worked in the public sector. I've met these people. I know their attitude. They build little empires for themselves and really do believe the money will never run out. When I turned up, they were paying £8 for a pack of pens and £4.50 for a ball of string. When I questioned this, I was told by a frizzy haired vegetarian....'so what? it's not our money.'

I'm going to ask you again - for the third time. Where would Prime Minister Bromptonaut cut £120billion from? I am honestly curious.

I didn't intend to do this, but ....

< I was told by a frizzy haired vegetarian....'so what? it's not our money.' >

You might have had a point here, but you cannot resist introducing stereotypes or prejudices. How is the hair or the eating habits of this person relevant here?

< Where would Prime Minister Bromptonaut cut £120billion from? >

It appears that your remedy would be to employ fewer civil servants. Maybe the sums suggest that making several thousand redundant would cost as much in severance and pension or dole money? And the unemployment figures would certainly not look good.

I doubt that nationwide buying of cheaper pens and string would make a big difference, so give us more details of your proposed solution.

But I would agree with you that the politicians start running scared of the next election long before they should, not long after the previous one in fact.

It appears that your remedy would be to employ fewer civil servants.

Civil servants themselves - ones employed directly by the State - are very hard and expensive to get rid of. I agree. Even Council officials are difficult to get rid of. The problem is Councils would rather cut libraries than cut one or two of their own staff. Personally I'd rather lose the odd 'Diversity Officer' and keep libraries open.

The real scope for cutting is these 'non departmental public bodies' or Quango in English. They cost £35billion a year, they've doubled in number in only a decade and the vast majority do absolutely nothing of any value - for the public anyway. I'm sure other parts of the public sector oily machine find them useful to their own empire.

Some of these bodies are the dead hand of heavy regulation on business and are therefore actively harmful to private sector job creation. Too often we forget that private sector business is the ONLY generator of taxation which goes to pay for all of these people.

Maybe the sums suggest that making several thousand redundant would cost as much in severance and pension or dole money?

Severance is a one off payment which is worth it in the long term. I'm pretty sure a £35k bureaucrat working for the council would not receive the same on benefits. That probably is a media myth.

And the unemployment figures would certainly not look good.

Keeping people employed with borrowed money is a false economy in itself. I don't want to bring doom, but we may need to pursue the policy of Thatchers early days when 3 million unemployed was 'a price worth paying.' Eventually it was.

I am more positive and believe an independent Britain outside the EU, freed from much of the Quango enforced regulation would be better placed to benefit from the growing parts of the World and generate the jobs needed to actually pay for themselves. That wouldn't happen overnight obviously.

I doubt that nationwide buying of cheaper pens and string would make a big difference, so give us more details of your proposed solution.

Well you'd be surprised. If every single Quango & state department did it, it'd soon mount up. It was merely one example of the overspending culture within the public sector. It goes beyond pens and stringballs obviously. In business we now have the phenomenon of the 'Council quote.'

Every company will quote more for a public sector body than for a private business, because they know the public sector body will pay it. The blase attitude of the public sector to overpay is a goldmine for many businesses, they love it. We see it in everything from procurement & services to maintenance work and everything inbetween.

As for the £120billion? Well the obvious and easy start is EU contributions & Foreign Aid. That's £20billion right there. Next is the £35billion Quangocracy, at least £20billion of it can go.

Already we're down to £80billion deficit. Personally I'd abolish Child Benefit, cutting another £14billion and bringing us down to £66billion deficit. Obviously that's politically dangerous and would have to be 'phased out' with 5 years of it still being available to those on Income Support.

That's just a start, we haven't even looked at the NHS or Councils yet.

Oh, and scrap HS2.

< Personally, I'd abolish Child Benefit. >

I would continue it for first two children - 2 for the price of 1 and a half. After that, you make your own decisions. Problem is, people swop partners and start again.

< Oh, and scrap HS2. >

Hear, hear. But nothing to do with smoking.

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/12/2013 at 18:01

I think you should make your own decisions right from the start.

Problem is, people swop partners and start again.

Exactly, so the only solution is to just scrap the payment.

Hear, hear. But nothing to do with smoking.

Oh monumental thread drift I admit.

Jamie,

Can you quote a source for the £350m spend on Quangos?

I'm not saying it's innacurate but the term has no official definition and is pretty elastic in usage.

I'd wager that most of that is spent on advice or delivery thsat would still be needed. It would just be done less efficiently and no less and possibly greater cost from within departments.

Can you quote a source for the £350m spend on Quangos?

I said £35billion. If it was a mere £350m we wouldn't have a problem.

I actually rounded it down, according to the UK Parliament official website it's £38.4billion.

www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/k.../

And that page together it's linked pdf tell you why the term quango arose and how/why arm's length bodies have a role in a democratic society or constitution:

Quangos can provide specialist expertise and have a longer-term focus than is afforded in a highly politicised environment. They can also benefit from the heightened authority resulting from their relative freedom from political considerations.

QED

Edited by Bromptonaut on 03/12/2013 at 22:49

I said from the start that I'm sure a few of them are useful - Ofcom would be a good example. I didn't even say to cut the entire £35billion. Even my ambitious cutting plans left £15billion to fund the ones we actually need.

We're not discussing whether there should be any or not, we're discussing how many of them we should get rid of.

Too many of them just do the same jobs other bodies are already doing, resulting in needless gold plating and double costs. Others serve no purpose other than to appease a political conscience somewhere - Diversity Officers are a prime example of a job created so as officialdom 'looks busy.' Others - like that regulator of regulators - are just a farce.

Most of them are job creation schemes for the public sector, there to comply with laws we don't need or to carry out rubber stamping which doesn't matter. Some are actively harmful in goldplating needless regulations which harm the private sector.

There's around 700 of these, they can't all be necessary.

Diversity Officers are a prime example of a job created so as officialdom 'looks busy.'

Have you ever heaerd of the public sector equality duty?

Others - like that regulator of regulators - are just a farce.

I've already pointed out to you that there's a long backstory and a lot of (small p) politics in the regulation of health and social care.

Most of them are job creation schemes for the public sector, there to comply with laws we don't need or to carry out rubber stamping which doesn't matter. Some are actively harmful in goldplating needless regulations which harm the private sector.

If there are laws we don't need then they should be repealed. They are though there for a reason, usually to address sometihg seen as a 'problem'.

There's around 700 of these, they can't all be necessary.

Of course some have outlived there usefulness. The Public Bodies Act 2011 was supposed to have been the outcome of a comprehensive review. As the review started in May 2010 and by July that year it was complete you don't need to be Einstein to work out it was not comprehensive. Neither was it transparent or consistent.

Worthy bodies whose work or Members had upset Government were consumed by the flames while others with near identical constitutions survived.

A fair number of the 700 cost nothing. Quite a few were redundant tribunals set up to resolve disputes that either never occurred or have ceased to occur. No staff were employed or Chairmen/Members appointed. They were no more than a few lines of statute and a bullet point in somebody's job description - establish tribunal under the Aircraft and Shipbuilding Industria Act 1978 as required. One never was required.

Many are staffed by departmental Civil Servants and comprise of unpaid Members - the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs is but one. It's job, as you may remember, is to give expert advice on classification of 'recreational' drugs for purpose of control/banning.

No. So I'm sure it's not important. The private sector manages without it - except for massive multinationals who are almost political institutions themselves.

A fair number of the 700 cost nothing.

A fair number cost quite alot. £38.4billion to be precise. But I'm bored of arguing about that, because I've finally noticed your post last night (quoting the UK Parliament website) has something incredibly sinister buried within it. I had to read it a few times and even go to bed in between, but it's hit me.

whyarm's length bodies have a role in a democratic society or constitution:

I glossed over this last night. Usually when people talk fluffy language about democratic societies, they're usually celebrating the democratic principle. I've finally realised you're doing anything but.

Quangos can provide specialist expertise and have a longer-term focus than is afforded in a highly politicised environment.

Forget bureaucrats. That is the exact same rationale behind Technocracy. The idea that an expert, impartial third party will make better decisions than either the elected representatives or the public themselves. The reality obviously is they're no more or less likely to get their sums or judgement right than anybody else.

They can also benefit from the heightened authority resulting from their relative freedom from political considerations.

Translation into English; these unelected officials, funded by the taxpayer can have the authority to make decisions regarding public policy while being immune to voter opinion and the ballot box.

That is incredibly dangerous. Thanks Bromptonaut, you've only strengthened my dislike of these people.

No. So I'm sure it's not important. The private sector manages without it - except for massive multinationals who are almost political institutions themselves.

It probably applies to the private sector too where they're delivering public services. In the name of both educating you and further winding you up details are here

They can also benefit from the heightened authority resulting from their relative freedom from political considerations.

Translation into English; these unelected officials, funded by the taxpayer can have the authority to make decisions regarding public policy while being immune to voter opinion and the ballot box.

That is incredibly dangerous. Thanks Bromptonaut, you've only strengthened my dislike of these people.

No danger, its about advice and reccomendations not decisions.

Typically, and your 'regulators regulator' is a case in point, these bodies have an obligation to report annually to parliament. That is a powerful tool for bringing matters such as inconsistent performance to attention of MPs and select Committees. They can also be publicly critical of Ministers, an avenue that's not open to Civil Servants.

In a nation without a formal constitution they're a powerful tool in holding government to account.

In the name of both educating you and further winding you up details are here

I think we can add the....Equalities & Human Rights Commission (wtf?) to the list of bodies we can do without. How much does this organisation set us back every year?

Seriously, what a complete load of fluffy guff. Do these people really think everybody will be violently racist if they don't exist?

You'll probably tell me this is absolutely vital despite humankind making it to 2011 without it.

Typically, and your 'regulators regulator' is a case in point, these bodies have an obligation to report annually to parliament.

A regulator of regulators reminds me of the whole thing about how Space is just turtles all the way down.

In a nation without a formal constitution they're a powerful tool in holding government to account.

We have the most comprehensive constitution of any country in the world. It's so comprehensive it's all over the f***ing place - literally.

About four days ago I asked you a question. I've asked it about four times, I'll try again because I'm ever optimistic that you might answer.

Where would you cut £120billion per year from Government spending? Or £111billion, or whatever figure the Governments decided it is today.

I

Where would you cut £120billion per year from Government spending? Or £111billion, or whatever figure the Governments decided it is today.

Well I'd start with the Trident missile system. No doubt with a proper and transparent review more could quickly be identfied. Tilting at windmills, which is pretty much what you're doing would get us nowhere.

On the EHRC point of course it doesn't stop violent racists. It does though keep everyone on their toes about the sort of casual racist, sexist etc mindsets that were commonplace in government not that many years ago. Chatting with an ex-colleague last week about racist/sexist and harassing bosses we knew in late seventies and beyond. WE NAMED HALF A DOZEN BETWEEN US!! Nowadays the whistle would be blown long and loud on anyone trying that sort of thing or making assumptions that race or gender made people 'unsuitable' for paticular posts.

And we know those mindsets are still present in the private sector. Look at the constant stream of gender and race cases form the financial services industry. Hardly a day goes by without a TV crew outside the Central London Employment Tribunal filming the day's claimant.

Well I'd start with the Trident missile system

Don't you think we've run down defence enough already? Trident is not a day to day cost though is it. Once it's spent, it's spent.

Tilting at windmills, which is pretty much what you're doing would get us nowhere.

Well if you support the poor subsidising rich landowners and believe helping the low paid with energy bills is 'nowhere' then that's up to you. I outlined over £50billion of cuts in an earlier post without even mentioning windmills.

On the EHRC point of course it doesn't stop violent racists. It does though keep everyone on their toes about the sort of casual racist, sexist etc mindsets

Well I'd never heard of it until today, so I'm guessing casual sexists haven't either.

Nowadays the whistle would be blown long and loud on anyone trying that sort of thing or making assumptions that race or gender made people 'unsuitable' for paticular posts.

Sort of proving they didn't need to invent this Quango in 2011 then.

. Look at the constant stream of gender and race cases form the financial services industry

To be frank I don't think I've ever heard of a single one.

And we know those mindsets are still present in the private sector

I can't say I've noticed them. Unless of course you're one of them who takes the BBC approach to employing staff - one employee to fit every census box.

Hardly a day goes by without a TV crew outside the Central London Employment Tribunal filming the day's claimant.

Again, you must pay a lot more attention than myself to this. Aside from that bint trying to sue Alan Sugar I can't remember ever seeing a TV crew outside the Employment Tribunal, let alone every day.

But even if you're right and this stuff is coming before Tribunal all the time, that proves the law works and that we don't need a new 2011 established Quango to do it. My guess is everybody in it is doing the same job other people are already doing.

Jamie,

There's an ongoing cost to the current Trident missile set up including the base at Faslane and the four subs used to maintain it. Furthemore there is talk of a replacement with new subs and upgraded missiles. The missiles would STILL be leased form the USA.

Some of the savings could be applied to conventional defence. No more foreign wars in supoprt of the Yanks though.

The EHRC was a mergar of older bodies dealing with gender and race discrimination plus the Disability Rights Commission. Whatever the successes of it's predecessors there is a continuing need if we're not to slip back.

Gender discrim cases in FS companies seem to be reported very frequently in the Evening Standard. Some are ordinary workers but alot are at big money trading floor level. Of course the press focus on ths salacious angles about 'get your t*is our for the lads' type behaviour but there still seem to be deeply ingrained issues around child bearing as well.

Being City banking these cases are concentrated in London and I rode past the ET building in Kingsway daily for years on my commute so I probably saw more than the average person.

Some of the savings could be applied to conventional defence. No more foreign wars in supoprt of the Yanks though.

Defence is pretty much the Governments home insurance policy though isn't it, and we spent more last year on debt interest repayments than on Defence. We've run our defences down over the last 20 years while asking them to do more and more.

Gender discrim cases in FS companies seem to be reported very frequently in the Evening Standard.

I don't read the Evening Standard.

Some are ordinary workers but alot are at big money trading floor level. Of course the press focus on ths salacious angles about 'get your t*is our for the lads' type behaviour

I'm not particularly surprised by that. The Trading Floor is deliberately designed to stir primal senses in the style of a Roman battle - unnecessary really, they could do it all silently with a laptop, but it wouldn't be as much fun.

Being City banking these cases are concentrated in London and I rode past the ET building in Kingsway daily for years on my commute so I probably saw more than the average person.

I've only been to London about 3 times in the last 20 years so I'm not as familiar with these places as you.

I've only been to London about 3 times in the last 20 years so I'm not as familiar with these places as you.

Same here, I don't think we've missed much. Thankfully, those living and working there don't usually realise how much better quality of life is away from the place, or they'd all come up here and buy up all our cloth caps and whippets.

A few posts back you accused me of refusing to discuss 'things that really matter'.

And you've just done it again by only responding to the most irrelevant part of what I said. For what it's worth, (very little) it was a bit of pedantic semantics thrown in to wind people like you up.

You will be pleased to hear that I responded to only one of your points: to save me a lot of time and space, and because I felt unqualified to add further to this erudite debate, which I am glad to see you acknowledge by implication is largely irrelevant. Your main purpose seems to be to have the last word (of many). Your response to this from me will achieve that, as far as I am concerned. Luckily I don't wind up easily.

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/12/2013 at 11:54