Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - Halmerend
I remember driving one of these years ago and couldn’t believe the acceleration. Didn't realise it was only a puny 120 bhp.. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404058334705?s...a

Edited by Halmerend on 22/05/2024 at 20:31

Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - badbusdriver

It is actually 105bhp for the earlier 1.3, as the advert you've linked says. The later 1.4 version had a bit more, about 115bhp maybe. Normal for the time though, the early 205GTI 1.6's also had 105bhp, R5 GT Turbo had about 115bhp.

But power outputs like that are only puny if they are being asked to shift a heavy car, which they aren't.

No, I haven't driven one myself, but my Brother had an Uno Turbo and it was rapid, albeit with old school turbo lag!

Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - Xileno

No and I doubt I ever will at that price! I never liked the boxy Uno, the 205 was a prettier design.

No and I doubt I ever will at that price! I never liked the boxy Uno, the 205 was a prettier design.

Crazy prices for 80's hot hatches!

I did like the Uno, in pre-facelift form like the one in the advert. Didn't like the front end on the facelifted cars, it (IMO) ruined Giugiaro's beautifully simple lines.

They had an incredible amount of interior space for the size of car and the clever folding mechanism on the front seats of the 3 door cars allowed very easy access into the back.

I like the 205GTI, and it was a better car in terms of ride, handling and power delivery. But given the choice, I think I'd take the Uno Turbo!

Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - SLO76
I did take a facelift 1.4 Turbo in part-ex once. It was a hoot to drive. Gearbox was typically r****** as per the norm with Italian cars of the time and it wasn’t as nimble as a 205 GTi but the engine was a gem. 118bhp (felt more) in a car that weighed as much as a half eaten sock made for much fun on the road. Rust wasn’t a major issue on later cars too but they didn’t take abuse or neglect well.

Wouldn’t have picked one over a 205 GTi, but it was still fun.
Probably better than new that.
Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - bathtub tom

I recall they were one of the first with ABS, but because the car was so light and flimsy, Fiat advised you should have the tracking checked if you ever activated it.

I always wondered if the power unit would fit in a Panda?

Thinking back to when the Uno turbo was available 85-93, I think. What other cheap fun lightweight hatches could be bought by ordinary working folks seeking B road laughs? Car the likes of which we just don’t see anymore since manufacturers now believe that hot hatch lovers all want 400bhp and can afford £60,000 price tags today.

Renault 5 GT Turbo - Particularly liked the last of the line Raider model in metallic blue. 120bhp in a training shoe with some great seats and a well sorted chassis. Mucho fun, yet surprisingly comfortable. But whoever thought combining a red hot turbocharger with a carburettor was truly evil as many miles of fun were lost when you tried to start one of these things when they were hot.

Daihatsu Charade GTti - 3cyl 1.0 turbo with 99bhp of screaming hilarity. I loved the noise these made and that they cocked a rear wheel on fast tight corners just like a Golf GTi but at lower less licence losing speeds. These were brilliant little cars and cheap to buy and run.

Suzuki Swift 1.3 GTi - Rev happy engine and very reliable, but I didn’t really rate them to drive.

MG Metro Turbo - Limited to 93bhp (and can’t remember how much torque) because any more would destroy the ancient 4 speed BL gearbox. Utter r******, but could be hustled round corners quickly enough. The non-turbo version was the better car, but all shared the noisy 4 speed transmission and ancient (but not without merit) 1275 ohv A series motor that dated from the Stone Age plus that awkward driving position.

Rover Metro GTi - 94bhp then later 103, these were the car the Metro should have been. Interlinked hydroelastic suspension transformed the handling and ride while big comfy seats kept your bum happy while scooting along twisty B roads. Not fast, but loved to be driven hard. Bit of an unsung hero that was hurt by association to its predecessor.

VW Polo G40 Coupe - In a straight line these were awesome, supercharged torque sent it flying down the road like a supermarket trolley dropped off a cliff, but handling wasn’t a match for the speed. 113bhp but the torque was all low down and instantaneous as per the norm with superchargers.

Ford Fiesta XR2/XR2i - Utter utter garbage. Don’t know why anyone bought them. The Mk I had a certain charm, it had 84bhp and few rivals, the Mk II 97bhp and was way off the pace and the later XR2i 110 then dropped to 105bhp was c***. American accountants were very much in control at the time. Rusted like it was parked in the sea every night, the CVH engines were noisy and unrefined and they were tired by 60/70,000 miles, usually puffing blue smoke from worn valve stem oil seals.

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6/1.9 - A true classic. Only slightly flimsy interior trim could count against it. I loved these, particularly the smaller, sweeter revving 1.6 in later 115bhp spec with no power steering. A true joy to drive and look at, it’s no wonder they’re daft money now.

Vauxhall Nova GTE - Typicall 80’s Vauxhall, brilliant engine, good on fuel, mechanically tough yet drab to drive. Smaller SR was the same but cheaper to insure. The Nova was never a class leader and they don’t deserve to be making the money they do today.

Seat Ibiza SXi - Nice clean styling, but otherwise awful in every way.

Citroen AX GT - Only had 85bhp but weighed less than ink on a page. These were hilariously good fun to drive. Cheap to buy and run too.

Mitsubishi Colt GTi - A real unsung hero. We hardly ever got any in thanks to import restrictions favouring bigger and more profitable cars, but they were brilliant to drive and bombproof mechanically. Surprisingly thirsty things, but fair enough since most were driven flat out everywhere. Best hot hatch of the time I thought. Not quite as much fun as the 205, but not far off and far better built.

Hydrogas not hydroelastic suspension in the Metro. Should really proof read before posting.
Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - veloceman
I had a Mk1 Uno Turbo exactly as the one on sale including the overly large Turbo graphics down the side. Of all the cars I’ve had I have fondest memories of that. It was a little different to the Nova GTEs and Fiestas of the time. Also had a Mk2 which felt very quick in the day, much improved build quality but some how lost some of the Mk1s charm.
I liked the Uno, started with a lowly 1.1S which you could have great fun chucking it around on skinny tyres. I liked the flappy paddled switchgear that extended from the dash and the single front wiper.
My father had a Fiat franchise in the 70s/80s, I remember his showroom packed with 131 Mirafioris and X/19s.
To me they were the glory days of Fiat design (but unfortunately not built to last) and far more exciting then all the 500 based models now.
That same dealer also has a 127GT and Strada Abarth 130 which was massively underrated at the time.
One of my fondest driving memories involved a quick drive up to Fort Augustus on the banks of Loch Ness in a 1992 Fiat Uno 45 Fire. Utterly basic utilitarian motoring, with a nicely spaced smooth changing 5 speed manual gearbox and that wonderful little rev happy 999cc Fire engine. Limited grip and loads of feel from the steering wheel mixed with beautiful scenery and a smooth winding road with limited power meaning foot to the floor fun the whole way. I liked the Uno, except the noisy diesels and the ancient ohv 903cc base models.

Mitsubishi Colt GTi - A real unsung hero. We hardly ever got any in thanks to import restrictions favouring bigger and more profitable cars, but they were brilliant to drive and bombproof mechanically. Surprisingly thirsty things, but fair enough since most were driven flat out everywhere. Best hot hatch of the time I thought. Not quite as much fun as the 205, but not far off and far better built.

As it happens, this one owner car is on the same website as the two Impreza's on my thread:

C1551422

Not exactly a bargain by itself, but next to an £18k Uno Turbo, maybe not too bad?

Going back to the 205, as someone who does like the underdog, id actually prefer it's ugly sister the (largely forgotten) Citroen Visa GTI. Mechanically identical, but obviously more practical being five door only and having more interior space. I'm sure I also remember reading that the Visa didn't suffer as much from the sudden lift-off oversteer that sent many a 205GTI through a hedge backwards!.

If I had a spare £8k that I was allowed to use I’d have that Colt tomorrow. That was a brilliant little car. Subtle looks meant the boy racers weren’t really interested. If I could find one before the money hungry dealers got hold of it I’d be struggling to say no. I’ll wager the owner only got £2k for it.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/05/2024 at 10:46

Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - PeterRed

Happy memories. I had a Strada Abarth 130TC for a couple of years in the mid-80s. It was an unusual choice when Golf GTis and XR3is were everywhere. My main memories were :

-superb torquey engine which made a lovely noise

-very grippy but terrible ride

-fantastic Recaro corduroy seats complete with holes for a harness. They were so big that you couldn't access the rear seats.

-noisy (whiney) gears. It was a ZF unit with straight-cut gears (allegedly)

Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - Halmerend
That’s a great summary SLO76 thanks. My mate had a red Renault 5 Turbo, what fun that was.
Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - LongTimeNoBike

My Father-In-Law had an Uno Turbo. It was fun as a passenger, as I recall, although I never drove it. I believe the dealer told him that his was the only one they sold that wasn't written off within a couple of years.

I had a Citroen AX-GT (the original 85BHP one). That was also fun - slower than the Uno but better roadholding. No driver aids of course.

I had much fun in numerous AX GT’s. They seemed to appear in stock with surprising frequency, my gaffer loved them as they literally flew out the gates.
Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - nlpnlp

My wife had one of the 995cc Fire Engine Uno's in the early 90's - she actually bought it new and pea green! It was the most fun car I have ever driven - like driving a roller skate - and surprisingly sprightly 'off the mark' at the lights. It actually lasted very well until the tin worm ate the doors and it became too expensive to repair.. I drove from Manchester to France in it several times loaded up and it never batted an eyelid.

Fiat Uno Turbo ie - Did anyone drive one of these? - LongTimeNoBike

I saved the 3-way test article from the 1990 "Performance Car", when I had the AX-GT and FiL had the Uno Turbo. I've spared almost all effort and expense and made a PDF from it available on my storage drive.proton.me/urls/F7F50SHH08#dTmh9z4gacWf